Reload this Page >

Kinsale? Cashel?

Search

Kinsale? Cashel?

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Gail Sutliff

Kinsale? Cashel?

We will be arriving in Shannon in June. We have 9 days to see SW Ireland. Is Kinsale a must? How about Cashel? Should we just concentrate on Ring of Kerry/Dingle Peninsula/Galway/Clifton? So many decisions and I need to start making reservations somewhere. Help!!!

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Sylvia

Gail,<BR>Went to Ireland two years ago... research for weeks, and heard/read no mention of the Rock of Cashel. A wonderful gentleman in Kilkenny told us about it. The highlight of the trip! It took my breath away! Ruins of the abbey, view to the valley, the cemetary with Celtic crosses - just wonderful. (and it was rainy when we were there)... Don't know about Kinsale, but Cashel was amazing.

Old May 28th, 2002, 07:24 PM
MNM

We went to Ireland for 10 days in June 2000. You should definitely go to Kinsale for a day or two. Very interesting town with lots to do. Also, consider going to the Beara penisula instead of or in addition to Kerry/Dingle. It is much less touristy but spectacular scenery and some great hiking--if that interests you. There was a private park there...can't remember the name, that was wonderful. Killarney was beautiful but more heavily populated--you should definitely go to the park and the folk life area though. Since you are landing at Shannon, I would recommend going to Bunratty castle and the foll life park there. It was very interesting with cooking (including samples) and country life demonstrated as it was years ago. Have a great time...I am jealous!

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Ann

There are two Cashels in Ireland. Make sure you know which one you want.

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:34 AM
kdr

I would highly recommend a visit to Cashel to see the Rock. The view is particularly breathtaking at night. When we were in Ireland, we only had 7 days, and we had no problems visiting Dingle, Kerry, Blarney Castle, and Cashel. I wouldn't leave any of these places out!

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Julie O'Connor

Don't just stick to the West Coast, go over to the East. My family are from Cork & the surrounding area. Cork is a very cosmopolitan city to be with a lot going on. Galway is very romantic with quite a bohemian feel to it.<BR><BR>Was there for New year, had a fabulous time.

Old May 29th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Bill

There are at least two Cashels, amybe three or four. Clearly the one you want is the one in Co Tipperary, just north of Cahir (or Caher). Kinsale is certainly worth a couple of nights if you have the time. There is a lot to see around there. Cashel can be seen in a morning. Cahir Castle is really quite nice, and we got to see it on a blustery yet deserted morning. We didn't see another person until we were ready to leave! Cahir is oddly one of the most difficult places to crass the street I've ever seen. I only saw one cross walk (or whatever they call them), and thus, you had to show no fear and just walk right out there with the hopes that traffic would slow down. It's on N24 (I think) and gets tons of truck traffic.<BR><BR>I guess Galway is a matter of taste. I was there on a weekend night and went into a number of different pubs. They seemed to be filled with young women dressed to be looked at and young men more than willing to oblige. I found that to be true of Dublin also. If that's what a person is looking for, the selection of things to look at seemed more than adequate... but alas, I'm past that age and my wife is happy for it. I think you would have to have a good guide or some pretty good inside information to find the quiet side of these cities.<BR><BR>I agree with taking trips to areas less populated like Beara. Be careful on the backroads, they are very narrow and you'll have to do some backing up from time to time to let other cars pass.<BR><BR>With that in mind, Ireland was recently given the distintion of having the highest rate of traffic fatalities in all of Europe. Be careful and don't feel you have to keep up with the cars as they approach from behind. Let them go around. Out on a road near Fanad head, a van passed me like I was going the other direction. I decided to see if I could go as fast as he was since the road was pretty much a straightaway. I was at about 90 before I gave up. The road was not actually wide enough for 2 cars the whole time. Very few roads in Ireland are straight enough or smooth enough for 90 mph and probably none in Donegal.<BR><BR>Generally, the SW of Ireland will be pretty crowded unless you get off the beaten path. If you are OK with some crowds, you'll still have a great time, just be prepared.<BR><BR>Bill

Old May 29th, 2002, 03:43 PM
mike sullivan

Gail .... My wife and I spent 3 weeks last August and it was all in Kerry during the Puck fair/Rose of Tralee/Fleah Cheoil music festivals, but we've also been to Kinsale and you'll love it, although I hear it's abit touristy, but what isn't now adays in Ireland. Kinsale reminds me of the coast of Maine and they have great resteraunts/seafood and good music in the pubs. Stay at a B&B outside of town if you want quiet and you have a rent a car, or stay at one of the pretty hotels in town and be the last ones out of the pub each night. Try doing the Ring of Kerry and spend at least a night or two in Kenmare before heading back over the Mountains to Killarney. That's worth at least 2 nights as well. Golf can be cheap you stay away from the really well known courses and B&B's are also cheap. We rented a two bed room house in Kenmare for about 275 irish pounds for the week and it had everything you needed. I thouroughly enjoyed the 4 or 5 days we spend in a B&B in Dingle town on the Dingle Peninsula, but you'll need a car. Hope you have a great trip. Mike

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 10:46 AM
Eimear

I live in ireland. I hope you have a wonderful time in one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Cashel isn't a big deal. Kinsale is nice though but there isn't piles to do. West Cork is my favourite part of Ireland. It is so beautiful. Kerry is too. My advice is to go to some of the following: Bunratty Castle in Co.Clare(Great fun through medieval ireland), Dingle or Kilarney is a must, Blarney Castle (kiss the blarney stone and receive the gift of the gab!), Foto Island in Co.Cork( Nice animals), and there is piles more! Have a brill trip!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Liza

Hi! On my recent trip to Ireland - hubby & I hit both Kinsale & Cashel. If I had to choose between the two, I'd pick Cashel. But both are really nice. Just note: All stores and shops in both towns close at 5:00 or 5:30 PM. If you want to see anything, get there before those times. And if you're into the 20/30 something crowd - don't miss Pat Fox Pub in Cashel. We had the BEST time there. Experienced the true "club sceen" (if you can call it that) in Cashel. <BR><BR>Liza

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Mike

Isn't it amazing all the differences of opinions -- makes the world go round.<BR><BR>We absolutely loved Kinsale -- stayed an extra day there. There is a beautiful golf course out there overlooking the cliffs. Worth a look. Cashel was just stop for a couple of hours on our way back to Shannon. I wouldn't spend the night there.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:44 AM
jill

kinsale- very touristy and expensive. Cobh is good + Fota islad.<BR>West Cork is beautiful -take the Healy pass into Kerry (Kenmare) and see the most stunning scenery ever!<BR>Killarney- tourist trap, doesn't really represent either modern or the real hidden Ireland..

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Mavis

You've been given great advice - in the end it comes down to the kind of things you love to do, what your expectations are about Ireland, must sees that you would be embarassed to go home without seeing, etc. Although we stayed a week in west Galway we didn't enjoy the city, but loved the countryside. Quite barren but beautiful in its own way. We enjoyed visiting Cong and Roundstone. Cliffs of Moher are worth seeing, although I'm not a particular fan of Doolin. Found Kinvarra and Ballyvaughan more appealing. Bunratty was fun, we enjoyed the Folk Park much more than the Castle, and although there were busloads of tourists at Durty Nelly's we retreated upstairs and were all alone with our pint and wonderful home-made soup and bread. We've been twice on the Ring of Kerry and the last time it was like being on a surreal bumper car ride - but for real with tour buses playing chicken with our car. We enjoyed Muckross Abbey but didn't stay in Killarney long. Beara Peninsula is beautiful, if you love gardens might also want to see Ilnacullen Gardens on Garnish Island at Glengarrif. West Cork is stunning, if you stay in Kinsale you can always make trips to Timoleague, Clonakilty, and Castletownshend - where Edna O'Briens favourite pub is (Mary Anne's). We also enjoyed going east from Cork, visting Cobh, Youghal and Ardmore (great Cliff Walk there and Paddy Mac's pub).<BR><BR>In nine days - I'd:<BR>Day 1 - O/N Shannon - visit Bunratty<BR>Day 2 - circle north visiting Cliffs of Moher, Lisdoonvara, Ballyvaugahn, O/N Kinvarra (if you like Galway City isn't that far away - can go in for evening or next day)<BR>Day 3 - south to Glengarrif. O/N<BR>Day 4-7 - West Cork - Stay in Kinsale - tour towns along coast, go to Cobh one day.<BR>Day 8-9 - Make way back to Shannon - visiting Cahir, Kilkenny Castle, Cashel, Anne Groves' Gardens, Blarney on way.