Search

Kinnitty Castle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinnitty Castle

Has anyone stayed here recently (like within a year)? I read very mixed reviews. Thanks
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:48 AM

Topping this. I too would like to read any comments on this castle. We're very close to booking a night there. It really looks lovely on the website, what's the real scoop?

Thanks!

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:24 AM

Kinnitty Castle is the stop with many faces. It is beloved by many Irish visitors, but reviled by many that expect more than what they pay for. It is NOT a modern hotel destination, nor are you charged for one. Those that love it find the location in the Slieve Bloom mountains ideal and isolated, beautiful grounds, traditional, and homey. The visitors that hate it, don't mix with people, call it dusty, dirty, cold, or "like an old castle". Don't do expecting to find a modern adventure. It is some of the best of the old, but with a great feeling, if you will let it happen.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 02:57 PM

I remember reading a review from someone who stayed there a couple of times recently over on the irelandyes.com forum. I suppose you could go there and do a search to find it.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 01:08 AM

COLD? DUSTY? Isn't that what a castle is supposed to resemeble Me and the wife can't wait to arrive, we are coming in June for a 1 night stay does anyone have any info on the spa and cross bow ahooting at the castle
Thanks Joe and Tine Louisville
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:16 AM

I have been to a wedding here 2 years ago. Its lovely and yes its an old castle. the food at the wedding was excellent and yes it was a bit chilly in December buit there were lost of fireplaces and it was lovely and old looking. The spa I hear is good and they over a lot of activities but book them in advance.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 12:34 AM

Me and my wife just returned from Ireland with a one night stay in Kinnitty on June 7th 2007, It was ok at best not the Castle we expected but still very nice, the rooms are decorated Victorian style not mideval as expected. the Dungeon bar and Monks kitchen were closed on thursday, (One reason why we came on thursday) The Internet and flyer that was mailed to us stated it was open whenn we arrived they said they closed it on thursday do to lack of business. we ate dinner there that was fabulous, melted in your mouth, the grounds were very nice with horses and VERY QUIET with nice walking areas. The wait staff was FANTASTIC
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 01:01 AM

I knew I answered this question previously, but it was hard to find the answer when the title is "help!"

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35017125