King Tut inLondon

Search

King Tut inLondon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
King Tut inLondon

Has anyone seen the King Tut expo at the O2? Is it worth the time/money/travel time? We will be in London for 2 weeks in late July; I didn't have this on my original rough itinerary, but I may have some time to fit it in.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 04:34 AM

I read a review which said it's less impressive than the permanent Egyptian collection at the British Museum, which is free.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 04:40 AM

I got in for free and enjoyed it. If I'd had to pay the £20 I'd have been less than impressed.

There are some nice bits, from all eras of ancient Egypt. The exhibition is marketed with the gold death mask, which is a con as the only thing with that on it is a small canopic jar. There's not that much from Tutenkamun himself - mainly it's other tombs.

If I was on a limited schedule I would go and see the British Museum's collection which is wonderful.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:47 AM

The only thing I would say about the British Museum's (admittedly amazing) Egyptian collection, is that there is bugger all from the Amarna era which is the time of Tutankhamen. If that's the sort of thing you like, go the the Louvre, or the Aegysptsmuseum in Berlin. They have smaller collections overall, but many more 'important' pieces from that time.

I've read that the 02 exhibition is a bit tacky with cheesy muzac playing etc, but still want to go since these pieces almost never leave Cairo.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 05:52 AM

I saw the exhibit on my last trip to London in mid-February; it was just ok, nothing spectacular. The crowds are huge and noisy, which doesn't make for a pleasant experience.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:00 AM

I saw the exhibit last March in Philadelphia, my home town. I agree with audere that there is a con involved in that the "Death Mask" is not on display although the advertising suggests that it is.

Here in Philadelphia, the staging of the exhibit was a bit over-the-top, with walls painted to look like the interior of a tomb. It was all very "smoke and mirrors." I could have done without the theatrics.

I am glad that I saw the exhibit, especially after having two martinis at Rouge on Rittenhouse Sq.

Cheers,
Superficially Thin
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. Is the other stuff we can see in Greenwich worth making a day trip of it and maybe seeing the Tut stuff? (We're in a BandB in Belgravia for 2 weeks--have much planned in London and 5 out of town day trips also--none locked into any specific day except for Stonehenge.) I don't think it's worth it for us to go just for Tut(we WILL be spending a big chunk of a day, at least, at the Brit Museum---got rushed through it by tired high school daughter last time!).
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 04:12 PM

My views seem to differ from most.

I saw it this December and really enjoyed it. It's not a huge exhibit, but it was very nice.

(And while it was crowded, it was not packed and enjoyable. Something that cannot always be said of the British Museum's exhibits which were so crowded I couldn't get near stuff!)
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 04:17 PM

texasbookworm, not to divert your thread or anything but with a screen name like yours I just have to ask: Are you planning to visit the British Library? We went on our first trip, but did not have nearly enough time there for me, so I plan a leisurely visit on our April trip (my 4th visit to London).
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for the personal touch! Yes, as of my last pass at my somewhat fluid itinerary, I'm looking forward to some time at the library! Somewhere on some forum i think I saw something about some exhibits being closed (like the Magna Carta?--but I'll see that in Salisbury)--Any info about stuff we won't be able to see?
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Here's the link to "What's On" at the British Library:
http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/whatson/whatson.html
It looks as though the Magna Carta and Alice in Wonderland are off display now, but they may both be back by the time you visit in July. The Magna Carta was off display in 2005 when we visited the British Library last. Like you, we saw Salisbury's Magna Carta - you can get a very nice view of it and some interpretive displays.

In addition to the Treasures Room there are exhibits of a changing nature in other galleries. Also I have heard that the gift shop is great, but we didn't get there.
Old Mar 12th, 2008, 07:21 PM

I made a special trip to Chicago to see it and I was quite disappointed considering the price. I don't regret going but it was pretty sparse considering the heavy advertising.
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Thanks, all. Is the other stuff we can see in Greenwich worth making a day trip of it and maybe seeing the Tut stuff?>>>>

Yes it's a perfect day trip. There's the National Maritime Museum, the Old Town itself, the Observatory and The Queens House. Plus plenty of pubs and restaurants.
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 07:08 AM

PS Have decided to go and see this over Easter but am a bit disappointed to see you have to pay for the priviledge of printing off the tickets on your own printer.

Naughty, naughty O2!
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM

Greenwich is lovely; I would like to spend more time there We took a boat down the Thames to get there, which was cold but fun.

Lee Ann