Where to Go in Cairo?

Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:28 PM
Patrice

Where to Go in Cairo?

I'll be a single woman travelling from Athens to Cairo. Any suggestions on what to do, not do and what sites are absolute musts?

Thanks.
Patrice

Aug 3rd, 2002, 02:00 PM
Rohit

I am sure you have heard this many times, but Giza is a must see. The Great Pyramids and the Sphinx are just amazing.

I also suggest you go to the Egyptian Museum. They have the treasures from King Tut's tomb, including the famous burial mask. The museum also has mummies and a papyrus collection. There are countless other treasures there too. Plan to spend a whole day at the museum.

If you are into shopping, Khalili Bazaar is quite an attraction. It has and endless network of alleys with vendors selling everything from souvenirs to spices to fake designer watches.

Old Cairo is fun to stroll around in if you have time. The Citadel is nothing that great, but worth a visit if you have time. If you get a chance, go over to Saqqara and see the pyramids there. They are smaller than, but older than the Giza Pyramids. They are a different design though, so are worth a visit.

I hope this helps.

Rohit

Aug 3rd, 2002, 02:01 PM
Rohit

I am sure you have heard this many times, but Giza is a must see. The Great Pyramids and the Sphinx are just amazing.

I also suggest you go to the Egyptian Museum. They have the treasures from King Tut's tomb, including the famous burial mask. The museum also has mummies and a papyrus collection. There are countless other treasures there too. Plan to spend a whole day at the museum.

If you are into shopping, Khalili Bazaar is quite an attraction. It has and endless network of alleys with vendors selling everything from souvenirs to spices to fake designer watches.

Old Cairo is fun to stroll around in if you have time. The Citadel is nothing that great, but worth a visit if you have time. If you get a chance, go over to Saqqara and see the pyramids there. They are smaller than, but older than the Giza Pyramids. They are a different design though, so are worth a visit.

I hope this helps.

Rohit

Aug 17th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Mara

As a woman who has been to Egypt a couple of times I do have some suggestions of what to wear. If you are a single western woman walking around alone, you will attract a lot of attention. Be sure to dress very conservatively at all times. Wear long, plain loose skirts, or long loose pants, a long sleeve loose top also. You will attract a lot of attention in the Bazaar if you are there alone. I personally wouldn't walk around Old Cairo alone without a guide. I was there with two men friends, and even though I was with two men, I attracted a lot of attention. I was dressed very appropriately, also.

Aug 27th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Sarabeth

Hi,
I would agree with Mara. Dress in a conservative manner if you are going to be alone. You might want to think about hiring a guide for some of the sites. The guide, however, cannot go into the Tut exhibit with you. If you are going to be alone in the Khalili you will be constenly approached by the vendors...but to buy stuff...my husband and I were approached all the time. If you go to the Pyramids do NOT take a camel ride by yourself...I have heard stories of being taken far out and then either robbed or told you will not be taken back unless you pay more $$ (the latter really happened to my 2 grown brothers about 3 years ago). But Egypt is a fascinating country. We had a very good time.

Aug 28th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Q

I was there in '95 with 2 male friends. We were international students from Athens. We took a week to explore Egypt. It was awesome!

Definitely dress conservatively since it is a conservative culture and out of respect.

Depending on your time schedule, I would highly recommend Giza, Valley of the Kings & Queens, Luxor (1 day south by train from what I recall) and a float down the Nile. In regards to the float down the Nile, you will want to check out any Embassy/travellers warnings. It may be risky for a single person.

We were able to hire a taxi driver for $5 for the whole day. It's all about bargaining, so you will need to keep that in mind. Since you're from Athens, you must know of Monestoraki (sp?). 4-5 Star hotels aren't too bad of a price either ($10-15 US). Those are Egyptian hotels by the way.

Have fun and be smart! --Q

Search this Thread