Kilkenny or Cork

Jan 28th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Kilkenny or Cork

I'm trying to decide on a day trip from Dublin on train between Kilkenny or Cork, Ireland. Any suggestions? Which is more touristy, better sights more authentic etc... any input would help. Thanks.

Also we're thinking of going the day after St. Pat's day...is it going to be really crazy the day after? Thanks.
Jan 29th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Go to Kilkenny. Cork is too far for a day trip from Dublin. Kilkenny is a small medieval town with an interesting castle, cathedral and main street all within walking distance of each other.
Jan 29th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Kilkenny is closer and very manageable for a daytrip. For a good overview of the city's sites, take the walking tour that leaves from the tourist office or download the Walking Kilkenny self-guided tour from

http://irishfireside.com/downloads/d...dkilkenny.html
Jan 29th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Another vote for Kilkenny. The walking tour that yeseree mentions is quite good. The day after St Patrick's Day will be a Sunday and probably pretty quiet. Be aware that many (if not most) pubs in Kilkenny do not serve dinner on Sundays. You'll need to find a restaurant. It really is a great town to visit and close enough to Dublin that travel time won't be outrageous.

Bill
Jan 29th, 2007, 09:01 AM

Another vote for Kilkenny. When I was there in 1997 there was a double decker bus tour. It took about an hour. I traveled by train to Kilkenny. See if Langton's is open for eating.
Jan 29th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Agree, Langton's is very good.