Ireland Public Transport Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I'm currently planning a trip to Ireland for the end of July and am getting close to booking Airbnb's and hotels, so I thought I would ask for some advice on my current itinerary. We will be using public transportation (mostly buses) to get around and going on 1 or 2 day tours. We are aware that this is a pretty fast-paced trip, but have read up on other itineraries and it seems to be doable. Please let me know if I should cut something or add a day or two to any other place. Any recommendations for things to see/do would be great too. Thanks!

We arrive in Dublin on a Friday (the 19th) and fly out on a Monday (the 29th).

Day 1 - Dublin
Arrive in Dublin, Trinity Library & Book of Kells (or Archaeology museum - which is better?), Grafton St, St. Stephen's Green, possibly evensong at St. Patrick's

Day 2 - Dublin
Either St Kevin's Bus to Glendalough or Wild Wicklow Tour (any advice on which one?); OR Paddywagon tour to both Glendalough and Kilkenny; then possibly a hurling match in Dublin in the evening

Day 3 - Dingle
Early train to Killarney, spend the afternoon at Killarney National Park, then evening bus to Dingle

Day 4 - Dingle
Rent electric bikes and cycle around Slea Head Drive (has anyone done this? Is it a good way to see Dingle?)

Day 5 - Doolin
Long bus ride from Dingle to Doolin, walk the 8km Cliffs of Moher walk to the visitor's center, take the bus back to Doolin

Day 6 - Galway
Taking the ferry to Inishmore, renting a bike and exploring the island, then taking the ferry to Rossaveal, arrive in Galway in the late evening

Day 7 - Galway
Either spend the entire day just exploring Galway (we'll be there during the Galway International Arts Fest) or take a day tour to Connemara (not sure which is the best option - whether we'll want a day to slow down and rest or make the most of our trip by seeing as much as we can)

Day 8 - Belfast
Take the bus from Galway to Dublin, lunch in Dublin, then take the bus to Belfast; Spend the afternoon and evening in Belfast (possible black taxi tour, botanic gardens)

Day 9 - Belfast
Taking the train to Coleraine, then using the bus to explore the Antrim Coast (thought this would be better than taking a day tour - thoughts?)

Day 10 - Dublin
Spend the first half of the day exploring Belfast, then bus back to Dublin

Day 11 - Fly out of Dublin

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 10:50 AM

check out the Irish Rover Pass with that many train or bus rides - www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

https://www.dochara.com/tour/save/ir...s-saver-cards/

Itinerary looks great.

Last edited by PalenQ; Jun 2nd, 2019 at 11:37 AM.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 05:52 PM

Book your train and bus tickets ahead of time - you will save significant money by doing that.

No doubt in my mind: Wild Wicklow Tour to Wicklow Mountains and Glendalough Lakes was of the most fascinating, informative, funny, and well organized tour we have ever taken after many years of traveling. Our guide and driver, Niles, was so knowledgeable, friendly and helpful! Very funny guy and such a great storyteller. He gave us a really good history lesson and showed us the best of beautiful Ireland.

Our first stop was at the Avoca craft and food shop and its lovely cafe. Fantastic place to buy woolen sweaters and scarves as well as great local food.
Then we continued to Powerscourt, which we did not have a chance to visit, but Niles told us that it is an easy day trip from Dublin to Enniskerry.

Our next stop was at picteresque Loch Bray lake, Glencree valley and at Sally Gap - hard to find the right words to describe the beauty of the green mountains, pastures and waterfalls... We stopped for delicious lunch at Lynhams of Larham, had time to buy crafts and continued to Glendalough Lakes and the St.Kevin's hermitage site. Niles told us many intriguing legends and historical facts about this peaceful spiritual place.

On the way back to Dublin we enjoyed the views of the emerald mountains in bright sunshine - I have never seen so many shades of green... It was a day to remember...

Enjoy your trip! And do not cut short your stop in Killarney! You can take a cab to the Gap of Dunloe trailhead and walk at least part of it: it is unbelievably beautiful.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 05:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
If you go to Avoca we skipped the woollen mill and headed to Fitzgerlad's pub where they filmed Ballykissangel, the RTE show. It was fun seeing the pub and then we walked the iconic bridge and had a 99 at Kathleen's store. The bus driver picked us up there.

Belfast, McCombs small GOT tour bus was fabulous. I would even do a big bus tour with them. Belfast black cab tour or city hall tour is worth it for sure.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 11:20 PM

What do you do with your luggage’s/backpack?

I am not offering any advice but have a question. I am going to Ireland next week for 10 days, and your itinerary was very interesting. But how do you handle your luggage’s while you hike or take a ferry etc.?You seem go from one place to another rather than coming back to collect your luggage you left in the place you stayed the night before.
Originally Posted by isibaker
Hi all, I'm currently planning a trip to Ireland for the end of July and am getting close to booking Airbnb's and hotels, so I thought I would ask for some advice on my current itinerary. We will be using public transportation (mostly buses) to get around and going on 1 or 2 day tours. We are aware that this is a pretty fast-paced trip, but have read up on other itineraries and it seems to be doable. Please let me know if I should cut something or add a day or two to any other place. Any recommendations for things to see/do would be great too. Thanks!

We arrive in Dublin on a Friday (the 19th) and fly out on a Monday (the 29th).

Day 1 - Dublin
Arrive in Dublin, Trinity Library & Book of Kells (or Archaeology museum - which is better?), Grafton St, St. Stephen's Green, possibly evensong at St. Patrick's

Day 2 - Dublin
Either St Kevin's Bus to Glendalough or Wild Wicklow Tour (any advice on which one?); OR Paddywagon tour to both Glendalough and Kilkenny; then possibly a hurling match in Dublin in the evening

Day 3 - Dingle
Early train to Killarney, spend the afternoon at Killarney National Park, then evening bus to Dingle

Day 4 - Dingle
Rent electric bikes and cycle around Slea Head Drive (has anyone done this? Is it a good way to see Dingle?)

Day 5 - Doolin
Long bus ride from Dingle to Doolin, walk the 8km Cliffs of Moher walk to the visitor's center, take the bus back to Doolin

Day 6 - Galway
Taking the ferry to Inishmore, renting a bike and exploring the island, then taking the ferry to Rossaveal, arrive in Galway in the late evening

Day 7 - Galway
Either spend the entire day just exploring Galway (we'll be there during the Galway International Arts Fest) or take a day tour to Connemara (not sure which is the best option - whether we'll want a day to slow down and rest or make the most of our trip by seeing as much as we can)

Day 8 - Belfast
Take the bus from Galway to Dublin, lunch in Dublin, then take the bus to Belfast; Spend the afternoon and evening in Belfast (possible black taxi tour, botanic gardens)

Day 9 - Belfast
Taking the train to Coleraine, then using the bus to explore the Antrim Coast (thought this would be better than taking a day tour - thoughts?)

Day 10 - Dublin
Spend the first half of the day exploring Belfast, then bus back to Dublin

Day 11 - Fly out of Dublin

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 10:42 AM

Admire your use of public transportation -- I've heard that is more difficult in Ireland than in most European countries. I took a trip to Ireland a couple of years ago; stayed for 3 days in Dublin (at Trinity University dorms) but took a 7 day Globus tour company trip to visit the rest of Ireland. We had free half day in Killarney and I did part of the beautiful Gap of Dunloe trail. I wish we had been better prepared; there was a boat ride from Ross Castle that we arrived too late for.
Hope you'll do a trip report afterwards!
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 12:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
CLBtravel, he has hotels for his luggage I presume. We use public transportation in Ireland and have seen everything we wanted to see. I think their bus, train, taxi and tours are great. We stay longer at each location and do day tours or take a bus to another town for the day. We find it easy. A guy on TA really helped me out with Ballycotton and then the guy we rented from hooked us up with a great cab driver to get back and forth to the cookery school. We had three buses a day to Midleton which has a train station. Galway was very easy and Dublin and Belfast also.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 11:59 AM

I enjoyed many trips to IRL in recent years and I do not drive anymore. I order the OPEN ROADS bus ticket from Tourist site online and travel multiple rides and see plenty of lovely places and its a good deal. I usually book a 3 or 4 day ticket when I arrive and can spread the journeys over a week and extra days and extra rides can be added. No waiting to buy bus tickets at stations that some times are closed. I went by bus to Cliffs of Moher and want to return to the see the big Ocean Video at Visitor center. Enjoyed a few days in Killarney and on to Cork. I have been to Dingle for a day trip (busy town with tourists) and trips to Tralee which is not far from Killarney where there are restaurants and a nice City Park. I always walk on trails in Killarney National Park and took the boat up the lakes to hike the Gap of Dunloe which was a good experience Also took journeys to Belfast to see Giants Causeway and New Castle Mourne Mountains. The bus pass does not include travel on Ulster buses but the tickets out of Belfast city are cheap. Enjoy your vacation.