Switzerland Itinerary Help Needed

Jan 29th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Switzerland Itinerary Help Needed

We will be spending about 5 days in Switzerland. We hope to spend at least a couple of days in the BO and are thinking of a scenic train ride and possibly the Matterhorn area as well. We will be coming into Switzerland from Germany (Munich, Berlin or the Black Forest area) and returning to the U.S. from Zurich. We have yet to figure out a good way of doing this that would make the most of our limited time. We have thought of coming from Munich to Chur, then taking the Glacier Express to Zermatt, then on to the BO. But no option seems perfect. What alternatives would you suggest?
Jan 29th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Jan 29th, 2007, 01:47 PM

We spent 4 days in Lauterbrunnen Switzerland. Our days went something like this:
Day 1: Golden Pass scenic railroad from Interlaken to Montreaux. Visited Chateau de Chillon in Montreaux.

Day 2: took the funicular up to Murren, walked to Gimmelwald and took the gondola down the rest of the way. Took the bus to Trummelback Falls and toured the falls (waterfall inside a mountain).

Day 3: Visited the Jungfraujoch first thing in the morning to get the best views and avoid the crowds. In the afternoon we toured a restaurant's chocolate making facility in Interlaken.

Day 4: Took the train to Bern. Also visited Murten (walled city).

Day 5: Spent a day in Zurich - which is really all that city needs.

http://www.staubbach.com/index2.htm
Jan 29th, 2007, 02:14 PM

We spent 4 nights in the BO and it was great. We also stayed at the Staubbach and I really liked it. It is by no means upscale, but it's not a dump either. It seems a long way to go to Zermatt. IMO, it was out of the way and quite a bit of traveling just to say you had been there. With more time, yes, but I would focus on the BO if I were you. Here is my trip report:

http://www.obeirnetravels.com/Swizterland_2006.htm

Bill
Jan 29th, 2007, 02:32 PM

It appears from other posts that your trip is in May? Then I concur with the other opinions that Zermatt is a long way to go out of your way. (I've spent a total of 6 weeks in Switzerland on 3 separate trips and haven't made it there yet!) I don't think Zermatt will be at its best in mid-May.

Coming from Germany, you will probably pass through Zürich. You could go from there to the Luzern area for a night or two; there are some lovely towns along the lake or you could stay up on Rigi. From there, travel via Brienz to Interlaken and on to Lauterbrunnen. I haven't been there in May, but other posters have reported that it is a good "base" for a Berner Oberland visit in May, when the higher regions may be experiencing late-spring snow and mud.

There are lots of scenic train rides in Switzerland that are not officially designated as Scenic (like the Glacier Express).