Kilkenny, Ireland restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

We'll be in Kilkenny for 2 nights. Any suggestions?
I've checked out Trip Advisor and so many have mixed reviews. We are leaning toward Italian 1 night as we will be coming from 3 gourmet type nights in Kinsale.

"La Rivista"---anyone been there? The 2nd night???
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We really enjoyed our meal at the Marble City Bar on High Street. Don't know if they have it often, but when we visited a few years ago, there were several italian items on special that night - in fact my diary tells me I had canelloni & chips
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

jefe---I'll check it out. I read many of the Ireland posts under your profile and received some helpful info. BTW, love the cat photo.

There are many restaurants in Kilkenny, and they really do have such mixed reviews. We'll be staying at Newlands Country House and will also ask them for suggestions.
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 08:15 PM

TPAYT - thanks (my cat says thanks, too!) I try to chime in when I can. Hope I don't steer you too far wrong

Langtons in Kilkenny usually gets good reviews. We also grabbed dinner there one night, and I noted that it was good - service was really good, if memory serves. I think my biggest issue with Langtons was that it seemed dated. Reminded me of the places my grandparents like to eat. We enjoyed dinner, but something about the atmosphere just sticks with me as less appealing than the meal we had at the Marble City Bar (also run by Langtons, btw.)

Definitely ask your hosts for ideas - that's how we found MCB.

Have fun - I really liked Kilkenny.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 08:06 AM

Here is another vote for Marble City Bar. The restaurant is upstairs over the tearoom. I had trout and he had soup (which was so-so) and bruschetta, and we both loved the meals.

We had lunch across the street at Dame Kytelers. The atmosphere is really fun (we had been there years ago) but the food was average.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 10:07 AM

I thought the food at Langton's was very good and have been there a number of times. I haven't eaten at Marble City but since owned by Langton's, it's probably very good.

My impression may be different from jefe's and perhaps I like somthing to look a bit dated in Ireland. Marble City, while looking like an old pub from the outside, is quite sleek on the inside. I think of somewhere my grandparents would have eaten as a Luby's Cafeteria. I may very well be jefe's grandparent's age

Either way, both should be good. I too have eaten at Kytler's but not downstairs in the restaurant. The food was not spectacular.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

More "food for thought"!

Our hosts have suggested "Rinuccini's" for Italian. I looked it up and it seems like our kind of place. They also suggested "Kendals" at Mount Juliet about 10 min. from our B & B and that also looks great.

But I have to say that the Marble City Bar may fit the bill as we will have eaten more "upscale" for the 5 nights previous.

Sometimes it's fun to just wing it and see what happens, but we've been burned too many times by not having reservations. We call it "going on a food odyssey" and we really don't like it.

As I've said before, on our last trip to Ireland in Sept.'10 we were highly surprised at the quality and presentation of the food in So, for this trip we are really looking forward to some wonderful dinners.
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 01:50 PM

Never have come away from Rinuccini's disappointed.
Other places in Kilkenny : Zuni's and Cafe Sol
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 07:41 PM

Rinunnini's noted for next time!

wojazz3, hopefully I didn't offend I'm no spring chicken - anyhow, my impression of the looks/atmosphere on Langton's really is no reflection on the food at all.

And as TPAYT notes, winging it is fun - we've run across some great places in our travels by doing just that.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 01:48 AM

Hi, I live in Kilkenny & the best place to eat out for dinner, without any doubt, is 'Campagne'. If I had a 2nd night I would go to 'Zuni' or if you were willing to travel for an hour I'd definetly recommend 'Sha Roe' in the village of Clonegal. In Kilkenny lunch would have to be 'Zuni' as mentioned above or 'Café Sol'. There is a Thai option in Kilkenny too called 'Yindees'. You can find this in town or there is a second 'Yindees' in Lyrath Hotel which is a 5 minute drive from the town center.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Reserved at "Rinuccini's----Italian will be a nice break after Steak & seafood for several nights.

Now what about after dinner----any good music pubs near Rinuccini's?

I think we've decided to go out to Mount Juliet for dinner the night we arrive. It's not far from the B & B, parking will be easy, and MDH is a golfer so he will enjoy seeing the course and clubhouse.

Our first 3 nights in Ireland we'll "wing it" and then for the rest of our trip we've made reservations. For us, it makes our days more fun because we don't have to decide on anything later. We've never had to do it, but if need be we can always cancel a dinner reservation---much easier than getting one I presume.