Do Pubs serve dinner in Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Be warned that some pubs do not serve food after 4 or 5 and if they do it may be just chips and sausages which would constitute a greasy dinner."

the above statement was made in a different thread. Does this mean the pubs take a break from servicg food in the afternoon and then start up again in the evening or should we not go to a pub when we are ready for our evening meal?
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 06:21 AM

It depends very much on the pub. Some are almost restaurant-like - and some serve little but prepacked sandwiches. Some serve only lunch, some actual dinner (but in my experience only quite early - it's rare to go in at 9pm and get an actual dinner.)
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:10 AM

Gosh, perhaps we were just fortunate, but we found tasty meals for dinner in the various pubs we visited (Oct'04), or saw such items listed on the blackboard menus.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM

I cannot remember the last Pub I was in that did not have food on untill at least nine at night. Good Pub grub, not a fancy dinner. Most all have a good soup and fish and chips. mussels along the coast and a good seafood chowder. Sandwichs and they seem to serve fries with everything. My wife and I go to Ireland every year for about two weeks and we eat 90% of our meals in Pubs. Look for a place that the locals are eating in or ask your B&B hostess. Have fun
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 03:39 PM

This may be a silly question, but do pubs have decent salads --even if it's only just a side salad?? My husband loves salads and I love soup, and fish and chips...Pam
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 11:40 AM

There aren't "silly" questions, just honest thoughts from travelers who need help! As for salads in pubs, as I recall (Oct.'04)some had them, some didn't. But, there always seemed to be a variety of selections that would be tasty, including vegetables. Just go and enjoy, no matter the menu!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:12 PM

Thanks for responding Suelh..I guess if hubby's been able to eat in northern Poland, Scotland, and England, he'll be fine in Ireland--he's 100%Irish to boot! But I think his mom was the Old-fashioned boring Irish cook (from what he says), so he's reluctant to try new stuff..oh well, I love everything, so I make up for his wierdness... Pam
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:21 PM

I can't recall how often I found salads, but I'm an ovolacto vegetarian and I was a very happy diner in many pubs (2002 trip). I
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:43 AM

MAny pubs do NOT serve food in the evenings. The larger places would be a better bet and it was me who wrote the quote above. I hate to see people count on it and end up not having anyplace to eat. Most places varybut you can bet in Dublin that none of the pubs will have food in the evening except for a small few like Davy Byrnes.

Salads are not the best here and often come with no dressing so ask if they have some. Mostly they consist of lettuce and tomoto and little else.

Pub food is fine but i would think you are better off using this as your lunch meals unless you know there is a place serving late.

Enjoy the soups!
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:09 AM

The answer is Yes, you can eat in most pubs untill 9.00 PM. Salad is not a problem and as most Irish towns have more pubs than people you will be spoiled for choice. All our bars and public places are NON SMOKING now so you can enjoy your food without smoke. As most touritst do outdoorsy things when they come here, dinner is usually eaten between 7.00 and 9.00. If you feel you want to eat later there are small cosy eateries in EVERY town. I should know, I live here. Enjoy your trip.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 09:18 AM

SiobhanP,

I wonder if there's a difference between the pubs in Dublin (which mostly don't offer dinners) and pubs in the smaller towns we visited?

In Kenmare especially, it seemed that all or nearly all of the pubs offered dinners (and the food quality and creativity was much more than I had expected). Perhaps in these smaller towns the pubs kind of double for restaurants; one-stop shopping so to speak.
Old Aug 3rd, 2005, 08:00 PM

After many years in the culinary basement, Ireland and Britain have been turning out culinary school graduates who can cook with the best. In many instances, they buy into a pub and run the kitchen with great results since the investment is smaller and the crowd is easier to please. Get some local guidance and you should dine well.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 03:02 AM

Beach dweller you could be right. Some country towns did have food in the evenings but some did not so the restaurants could be filling in the gap. Most of the pubs I went to in Westport last had no food at night unless they had a restaurant above but in Clifton they did serve food all day to the early evening. I guess its a novelty to visitors as i find a lot of them are just ok not that fantastic but it would depend on the place.

You will always find a chipper open late in most small and large towns as they feed the after pub crowd...unfortunately I have done thi many a time as well

S