Kilkenny B&B recommendation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to book a B&B in Kilkenny for two nights - any suggestions? Also, what about staying in the town vs somewhere in the surrounding area?

Thanks,
Alice
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 01:25 PM

I just returned from Ireland yesterday. Our B&B in Kilkenny was Launard House, recommended in Michele Erdvig's book. It was right on the edge of the city. We had originally booked an in-town B&B, Tir na Nog, but they lost our reservation!

Launard House is extremely clean, with cheerful decor. The host is very kind and helpful. One caveat: He does have notes around the room concerning length of time in the shower (due to city water pressure in the morning), forbidding food into the room, asking us not to adjust the TV, etc. We didn't mind as he was so genial.

Location wasn't a problem. We weren't far from the city at all, and were usually able to find a free parking space. I supposed free spaces might be a problem in peak season, though.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 06:32 PM

Stayed at "Dunromin" tel: 056 61387 in '97...OUTSTANDING! What a true Irish B&B should be like. Affordable, nice accomodations, friendly folks, convenient. I would stay there again. Mrs. V. Rothwell is the owner. You won't be disappointed. Please say hello from the Florida O'Leary's.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 08:48 PM

I was in Kilkenny last month and stayed at Carriglea on Archers Avenue. Mrs. O'Reilly was very nice, and we were quite happy with the room and the location. It is quiet and close to town. (We did not have a car.) Best breakfast sausage of the whole trip!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the recommendations, I'm sending off inquiries about available dates to all three.

Alice
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Okay, thanks to all the help to my post as well as some older messages, I've narrowed down my list to these choices (I already checked on availability for all of them). What do you experts think?

1) Butler House
2) Blanchville
3) Launard House
4) Carriglea
5) Lacken House

The prices vary from 28 to 55 euros pps. I don't mind the higher price if it's really worth it.

Alice
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Cam

Alice, my husband and I stayed at Butler House a few weeks ago and were disappointed. The photos on the web are very attractive, but we found that the property was run-down. Our room, though large and having bay windows facing the garden, bordered on shabby. Breakfast was served in another building, the Kilkenny Design Center, which is on the other side of the garden. We had to walk there in the rain. I would recommend against staying there.