Search

Kids in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kids in Paris

It's the adults 3+ time in Paris but the first time for our 9 year old daughter. We'll do some museums because we usually do that as a family anyway. Any suggestions for kid friendly or more unusual sights in central Paris? Carousels? I remember seeing some when we were there 5 years ago but don't remember the neighborhood. We will be there the last week in March.

Also, we are there for a whole week and would like to do a few day trips out of the City by train. Fontainebleau is tops on our list. We would also consider a 'typical' French town for a day trip by train to just go for the day and walk/eat... It would be nice to be able to show her a bit of the countryside as well as the City.

She is beyond excited to see the Eiffel Tower!
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 09:11 AM

I see lots of French families and kids at Luxembourg park. And any kid would love Paris Disney. The natural history museum has lots of dinosaurs.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 09:55 AM

There is a thread about daytrips from Paris where FrenchMystiqueTours posted absolutely excellent daytrips.
(Chartres or Senlis come to mind).

For a 9 years old kid I would recommend le jardin des plantes (a zoo dating from 19th century, so a zoo and a museum, great.

Carrousels, yes, you'll find those at different locations. I know there is one in front of Eiffel Tower (cross the bridge) one at the bottom of the stairs to Sacré Coeur.

Zoo de Vincennes is probably great too, just saw it from outside.

My daughters have always liked going shopping to Lafayettes or Printemps galeries and Sephora (one very big on champs Elysees, close to Disney store if she likes it still).
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 09:59 AM

Of course a cruise on the Seine, and my daughter wanted me to climb the Eiffel Tower (not take the elevator, climb it - 333 steps to first floor, I quit at that stage ;-) )

We went to a 'opérette' and my daughters loved it (all ages) but we are frenchspeaking. For englishspeaking a 'comédie musicale' would be great - look at that link - you can put it in english.

http://www.sortiraparis.com/enfant-f...r-enfants-2016
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 10:00 AM

The Jardin d'Acclimatation is a kid's wonderland.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 11:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Jardin d'Acclimitation is currently being transformed into a steampunk adventure (if you do not know what 'steampunk' is, it means 'Jules Verne style'). It is sure to be fascinating when the transformation is completed, but of course it will be lost on the youngest visitors. Nevertheless, it is nice in any style.

My first trip to Paris happened when I was 2 years old so of course, I don't remember it. But I returned when I was 6 and then again when I was 11 and another time when I was 15 and 17. And I moved to Paris permanently when I was 20, because those other trips had convinced me that it was where I wanted to be for the rest of my life.

Therefore, I would not worry about what to show your daughter in Paris. She will either decide that it is the most amazing place in the world... or not. I had the advantage of a French mother who convinced me from the start that Paris was a wonderfully incredible place (even though she was not from Paris), and her love of the city was enough for me to love everything I discovered on each trip. I loved the metro, I loved the Eiffel Tower, I loved the fact that we stayed at our relatives' place in the near suburbs and took the train into Saint Lazare every day, I loved the Champs Elysées, I loved the vending machines on the metro platforms, I loved the Tuileries and the Luxembourg gardens -- how could a child ever be bored in Paris?
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 12:09 PM

Zoo de Vincennes is probably great too, just saw it from outside. >

When my son was that age we rented canoes on the large pond in front of Vincennes zoo- also the Tuileries basins where kids can rent motorboats and operate them around the pond.

The Eiffel Tower and Seine Cruise should all be fun.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 12:20 PM

La Cité des Sciences et de l'Industrie on the NE edge of Paris.

https://www.timeout.com/paris/en/kid...-de-lindustrie
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 01:05 PM

Cité des sciences was boring for kids above 10 IME.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 02:03 PM

https://www.aquaboulevard.fr/

One of France's largest water parks - indoor -in case you need some kid stuff that parents can enjoy too.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 02:12 PM

Swing by the square in front of "le Beaubourg" as the Centre Pompidou is commonly known as. Kids (and adult kids...) have no end of fun watching the wacky things in the water (see http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-exh...-28086365.html and http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-exh...-28087208.html - just two examples).

Inside there is a children's section - see https://www.centrepompidou.fr/en/Vis...ng-as-a-family

and of course the ride up through the "tube" to the top with the fabulous views is a hit with young and old.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 03:14 PM

Bookmarking.

I can't wait to take our three year old to Paris.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 03:39 PM

Some good options here:

http://www.davidlebovitz.com/ten-gre...-do-with-kids/
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 04:32 AM

Riding the Metro is fun as well as necessary. It can also be crowded so a strategy for reuniting would be prudent. One common approach: After a separation, get off at the very next stop and wait for the next train carrying the laggard parents. Your young companion may encounter buskers on the trains too, a novelty the first time, so a quick consultation in advance will prepare for whether to hand out a tip/bribe. Eating is also essential to Paris -- well, dining -- so reading menus on-line before you go could warm up the appetite and explain the routines. My favorite attraction for shocking the relatives back home is a tour of the sewer museum. The underground walk is just iccky enough for kids, demonstrates ingenious early engineering, and isn't really smelly. It has a peculiar schedule, closing Thursday and Friday. I liked the guided tour. http://en.parisinfo.com/paris-museum...gouts-de-Paris
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 08:19 AM

You should do one of the Seine River Cruise tours with her. There's no walking and it's always fun to get on a boat.
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 08:35 AM

My grandchildren loved doing many of the above activities and also just being there--the little things, such as riding the metro, putting their own tix in the turnstile, outdoor cafes and the little birds that would come by to eat crumbs, crepe stands, etc.