Paris with Children

Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris with Children

My young children and I are accompanying my partner on a business trip to Paris. It's been 20 years since my last visit to Paris so I need help. A couple of questions to this forum:

Hotel/Apt: His company recommends the Novotel Les Halles in 1e. Are there any other places in 1e that are close by and interesting? I was also considering Hotel Therese. comments?

Strollers: I assume double strollers are impossible, what about single strollers?

Eating: any good recommendations for restaurants that are children friendly and yet have good food

Places to go: 1e fortunately seems very walkable, are there any particularly good children activities? day trips?

Thanks very much in advance.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 12:29 AM

Re. strollers. We took our double (front/back) stroller to England several times and had no problems. We were so glad we took it. Great for dashing through airports--just put the kids in and run. The kids napped in it if they were tired and we were out. We piled our stuff on it when they wanted to walk. We took it right to the plane's gate and gate checked it. Easy, easy, easy.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 01:31 AM

We'll be in Paris over Easter with our 6 and 8 year old boys, and I've had lots of great ideas from people on this Forum. Just do a search on paris with children and you should find several recent threads. My picks so far for things the boys will like are the Eiffel Tower, a Seine "Batobus" trip and visits to the Louvre (in short bursts, I view it as planting seeds for the future and don't expect a huge response immediately) and the Musee Rodin since they both like using clay to make things and I figure sculpture might appeal. Also Notre Dame I think, and I have the natural history museum and the aquarium on the standby list in case of rain and rejection of other suggestions ...It really depends on the age of your kids. If they're really small they might just love parks and playgrounds.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 03:21 AM

apasay, click on my name to read my posts -- I started a thread 'insane to take kids to Paris/London?' recently.

I got some great replies about very specific things to do with kids.

arabianjedi, looks like we'll be there at the same time - I'm a little worried about Easter Sunday/Monday and things being closed, but I think I'll just have to plan to know what is open those days.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

So we just completed the Paris leg of our trip and a couple of young children/stroller observations:
- Maclaren double stroller was great. Narrow enough for almost all streets. With Paris such a walking city, a stroller is a must. There are strollers everywhere
- The toughest thing about the strollers is the gravel pavements that are found in public parks, including the Louvre, Jardin de Luxembourg, etc.
- Eating is tough with young children as the 8pm dinner is too late and too formal for children. Found that the best thing are bakeries (Eric Kayser in 5e is incredible!) and supermarkets, like Monoprix, to buy groceries.
- My children, 4 and 1, LOVED (can't emphasize this enough), Jardin des Luxembourg. Specifically, the paid-play area in the southern part of the park. Awesome area with tons of climbing structures, sand area, slides, cool structures even for older children.
- Paris Disneyland was also a hit; though skip the Disney Movie Studio park, a COMPLETE waste of money. It is still in construction with only a handful of attractions.

Paris was great for my young children - a lot of broad sidewalks and parks to release their energy and a general warmth of the French people towards children.