Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

kid-friendly "resort" in southern Germany

May 20th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

We are planning a trip to Germany (flying in and out of Frankfurt) for 2 weeks in June. Our plan to stay in an old farmhouse for a week just fell through, and given that our lives have been INCREDIBLY stressful recently, we realized we really just want to relax for at least part of our trip (we'll be doing plenty of sightseeing, including Salzburg, Munich, etc.) Our daughter is 9, and we're looking for a place where we can all have fun and be entertained and also relax and maybe be pampered a little. Swimming, bicycling, farms, etc. are all good but we want to stay in one place for 5-7 nights and not hear "mom, I'm bored."
May 20th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Can't help with a specific property, but do check out www.bensbauernhof.com.
May 21st, 2010, 02:53 AM

Google 'Kinderhotel' to find hotels that are child-friendly. They are often in rural settings, from what I have seen so far.

Lavandula
May 21st, 2010, 05:09 AM
J62

In my experience single site family "resorts" like you'd find in the US or Caribbean aren't very common in places like Germany. They may exist, but not that I'm aware of.

Rather, families tend to pick a general area that has a lot to offer, stay in a rental apartment or home, and take care of activity planning themselves.

I like the alps area around Garmish Partenkirchen myself - there is so much to do that's kid friendly. Lots of hiking/walking opportunities, indoor pool complex right near the town, summer toboggan run near the Olympic complex. You need be active & get out to have fun. If you're looking to be pampered, then a self catered holiday may not be what you're looking for.

There are numerous higher end spa/resort hotels (Steigenberger is one chain) www.steigenberger.com - they have some beautiful properties, but in my past experience they have all seemed to be more adult spa oriented (including dress code)
May 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM

A large resort is this one:
http://www.allgaeustern.de/Hotel.urlaub.0.html?&L=1
They have several programs for kids. The kids won't be bored.
May 23rd, 2010, 10:08 AM

I don't have any specific suggestions, but I can say I know many German families that travel with their children to all kinds of different places including spa/wellness resorts, farms, hiking/biking locations, the beach, etc. They stay in one place 5-25 days!

Try
* www.landtourismus.de
* www.bauernhofurlaub-deutschland.de
to perhaps find an alternative for your farm stay.

Good luck and have fun!
May 23rd, 2010, 10:19 AM

Ingo, your recommendation look great. Thinking about changing our summer plans...