Munich - Stay in Old Town or at airport?

May 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Munich - Stay in Old Town or at airport?

We will arrive by rental car in Munich on Monday, September 13th, from Berchesgaden probably about noon and will fly back to the U.S. at 7:10 the next morning. Since I assume we will have to be at the airport by at least 5:00 A.M. (and earlier if we can turn in the car at that early hour), I am not sure if we should stay in a hotel at, or close to, the airport. Also, the hotels I have seen are not actually in the airport, but are close by.

Of course, we will have very little time to see much of Munich, but we would like to walk around the Old Town and eat and drink some beer at a beer garden - maybe we could also take the short Gray Line tour of the city as well.

I read in a previous blog that you could turn in the car at the train station, stay in the Old Town or near the train station and then take the S-Bahn to the airport. However, I am a little nervous about walking to the S-Bahn station in the middle of the night, figuring out how to use the subway (We don't have subways in Texas) and getting to the airport in time.

I'm thinking it might make more sense to book a hotel at the airport (if there are any), drop off our car during the day, and then going into Munich on the S-Bahn and returning to our hotel before dark. I also don't know how much this will cost.

We are seniors and not as adventurous as the young folks, I'm afraid. I certainly don't want to take any chance on missing our flight.

Also, if the recommendation is to stay at the airport, do you have any recommendations for a hotel? We don't want to stay in a dump, but don't want a high-priced hotel.

Thank you so very much for any help you can give us.
May 21st, 2010, 01:41 PM

There is nothing exciting about taking the S-Bahn at 4.30 in the morning - besides the fact that I would not be able to stay awake at that hour
How long before departure you need to be at the airport is at the discretion of your airline, not the airport. You should check your airline's regulations.-
If you fly any star alliance airline, you can expect a 15min wait to drop baggage (or 0min wait at self drop desks), 5min wait at regualar security. You are supposed to be at your gate 60min before departure for the extra security check.
The only thing I would not do was to drop off the car on that very morning. Get rid of it either downtown, or at the airport - no matter where you will eventually prefer to spend the night.
The Kempinski hotel is the only hotel IN the airport, a 2-5min walk from the teminals. But it's also an expensive hotel.
May 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM

We stayed at the Kempinski at the airport for an early morning flight and felt like it was worth the money to avoid the stress! The room did include breakfast which we didn't realize when we booked which was nice.When touring around the area the day before our departure we gave ourselves a pat on the back for the good decision because nothing was close. We are from Oklahoma so can identify with you on the subway. There is no way I would want to be trying to figure that out on the day of an early departure. Sometimes it is just worth a few extra dollars to make things simple! Just my two cents! Have fun!
May 21st, 2010, 03:59 PM

Hi,

The last time we stayed by the airport (Oct. 2006) for a 7am. flight back to NJ, we stayed at the Park Hotel (Best Western) in the charming old town of Erding, about 20 minutes from the airport. The day before departure, we kept the car most of the day. Before dinner, I drove to the airport, dropped it and took the shuttle back to the hotel. We walked the old town, had a nice dinner and we had the hotel arrange for a cab to pick us up at 5am. to take us to the airport. Cost was 25 Euro at the time. Believe it or not, they had a samll breakfast (free) waiting for us at 4am. Needed the coffee!!

Paul
May 21st, 2010, 05:06 PM

Definitely try to stay at an airport hotel or a hotel with an airport shuttle. Back in September 1996, after spending 3 days in Munich, we opted for a hotel out of the area to save money (can't remember the town). In those days you could take your luggage to the airport for early check-in, like the day before which we did.

We drove back to the hotel and got very lost. Finally found it and had a very nice dinner next to the hotel. Driving back to the airport was awful! We hit very heavy fog (this was at the end of Sept early morning) and very scary. We made it but would never do again to save money.

It's totally worth staying in a connected airport hotel or one who has a shuttle. You don't need that stress at the end of your trip.
May 21st, 2010, 05:14 PM
P_M

I stayed at the Movenpick at the airport and it was great. It's a lovely hotel with a good restaurant. We turned in the car the night before our flight and took the hotel shuttle to the Movenpick. Of course the next morning we took the shuttle back to the airport to catch our flight.

I can understand wanting to see Munich even just for a short time and if your flight were later I would highly recommend it. But under the circumstances I say skip it this time.
May 21st, 2010, 05:45 PM

Hi again,

We've also stayed at the Moevenpick (in Hallbergmoos) just a few minutes from the airport. This was in '01 and '03. Very nice hotel. Nothing to do/see in the area (corp. park setting) but we kept the car, had dinner in Freising (another nice old town) and I dropped the car at the airport around 9pm. and took the hotel shuttle back to the hotel. This time we used the Moevenpick shuttle to the airport in the early am.

http://www.moevenpick-hotels.com/en/...t/overview.cfm

You could drive to Munich, park (kind of expensive) and see the old town for a few hours before moving on to a hotel closer to the airport in the afternoon. The drive from Berchtesgaden to Munich is only about 2 hours. We did this and wound up parking by the train station and walked to Marienplatz and spent an hour or two.

Paul
May 22nd, 2010, 03:41 AM

We just booked at the Kempinksi for 178 USD a night including breakfast for our November trip. That is a bargain for that property.
May 22nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much for your advice. You Fodorites are tops! kfusto - where did you find the $178. rate at the Kempinski? I have been looking at several sites and the rates are all 300 euros plus. We have decided that we would prefer to stay right in the airport if we can get a half-way decent rate. The advice to keep the car until after dinner the night before our flight sounds like a good idea. We could drive to Erding, look around, have a nice dinner and then drive back to the airport, turn our car in and spend the night. THANKS AGAIN to all of you.
May 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM

I found it on hotels.com. All the other websites were far more expensive and most did not include breakfast. Good luck!
May 23rd, 2010, 10:55 AM

You could also book directly with the Kempinski and book a room for 149 euro. This rate is valid for only one night and you need to have a flight out of MUC in the morning. The rate includes a small breakfast (from 5AM to 8AM).

I'm not sure where your 7:10 flight is going but if it's not going directly to the usa checking in by 6am should be plenty early.