Notices

Kenmare or Kinsale?

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenmare or Kinsale?

We are working on a revised itinerary, will be coming from Dingle through Killarney. We have two nights- should we stay in Kinsale or Kenmare? We don't have firm plans for day trips. Which town do you prefer and why?

Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Kenmare if you want to explore the Peninsulas (Kerry, Beara, Mizen Head).

Kinsale if you want to explore the town and surrounding areas (Blarney, Cork, Cobh, Old Head).

My vote would be for Kinsale - lots to do in the area, great shopping, restaurants, sights, pubs, etc.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:25 PM

Both really good choices... different, but good. I think Budman has the list right as far as day trips, adding the Killarney Nat'l Park, if you haven't been before.

Staying in town, I'd give it to Kinsale. For day trips (even though I do love Cobh), I'd probably choose Kenmare because of the day trips, especially for Beara and the Healy Pass.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 07:43 AM

I've stayed in Kenmare four times and haven't come close to exhausting the things I could do in the area. Kenmare for the scenery, Kinsale for the town if you want any nightlife. I've never found Kenmare to be hoppin' at night.

Bill
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:52 AM

Bill, at which B&Bs have you stayed in Kenmare? I am formulating a plan for October (I hope it works!) and we would be hanging out in the southwest corner -maybe getting as far east as Kinsale - having "done" the northwest last time. Any of them strongly recommended?

Thanks as always!
Allison
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Hi Allison. I stayed at a totally unmemorable one the first time, so I don't remember that one. I stayed at Harbour View which is on the Beara Road just outside of Kenmare (about 5 miles I think). It's a nice comfortable place with a beautiful view. We definitely enjoyed our stay there though we both banged our heads on the low gables in our room.

The last two times, I stayed at Tahilla Cove, which is closer to Sneem. It's a guesthouse that is more expensive and the setting is fantastic. The rooms are huge and they have there own bar and we sat and chatted with James for quite a while sipping Connemara whiskey on a few different occasions.

I've never stayed in town, though I know there are a number of fine options. I love to stay in places where I can wake up and look out on the water. Just a thing of mine. I see mountains every day, but coastlines are a rarity.

Bill
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Thanks Bill! Tahilla Cove looks gorgeous but I think it may be out of our range...Harbour View looks nice too, so that is a good possibility for us. (Are you and Felicity tall?!) I understand about seeing the shore; we are landlocked here, not even any mountains within an hour or so. We once stayed in a not-so-great B&B in Salthill, but we had the greatest view of the bay from our window...
Old Mar 15th, 2004, 02:48 PM

Hi allison:

No, we are not particularly tall, just the gables around the windows in the room that we were in were kind of low. Felicity laughed uncontrollably when I hit my head and then proceeded to do the same to herself. I tried to remain calm.

Bill