Killarney vs. Kenmare

Oct 9th, 2002, 08:44 AM
cnugent

Killarney vs. Kenmare

Hello -

My husband and i and a group of friends are staying in southwest ireland for one week in March 2003. I had originally thought that Kenmare would be an ideal location and have heard rave reviews, but now I'm thinking that Killarney may be more centrally located for the southwest region.
Any thoughts? We are planning to rent a condo/townhouse for one week period in either location.
thanks!

Oct 9th, 2002, 09:46 AM
curt

Kenmare is a nice quiet little town and would be ideal base. I like Kenmare a lot. Killarney is bigger so may offer more choices in pubs, shopping, and eating, though Kenmare had a nice selection. Kenmare is very convenient for Ring of Kerry drive and also very close to Killarney National Park. I would say it is a toss up, but I would choose Kenmare my self.

Oct 9th, 2002, 09:52 AM
doc

second kenmare choice. Great little town. Sneem is nearby which is also a pleasant town

Oct 9th, 2002, 10:44 AM
bill

Depends on what part of SW Ireland you are going to focus on. Killarney, would be more convenient to the Dingle Pen, but Kenmare is more convenient to Beara. If you stay in Killarney, I would recommend somewhere out of town. Some little B&B on the outskirts would be nice. That said, I probably wouldn't stay in Killarney. Kenmare is my favorite Irish town, but those who really know the area say that there are some special places in Killarney if you know where to go.

BTW, There are plenty of places to eat in Kenmare. Plus, you can travel to diiferent towns for lunch or dinner as your trips take you. As mentioned, Sneem is a neat little town, plus there is Glengariff and Bantry to the south. The drive from Kenmare to Glengariff is spectacular.

Well that was certainly incoherent rambling. Sorry.

Bill

Oct 9th, 2002, 11:13 AM
k

Kenmare over Killarney, definitely. It's a great little town. Do check out Sneem...it's picture-perfect.

Oct 9th, 2002, 01:51 PM
Heather Long

The two towns are only 20 miles apart-about 30-40 minutes along a narrow winding road with beautiful scenery.Killarney has the lakes and Kenmare the sea.Both have a good selection of hotels and B and Bs.For top class French cuisine go for dinnner to Sheen Falls Hotel near Kenmare.For a wonderful view as you have dinner try Hotel Europe in Killarney.I prefer Killarney

Oct 14th, 2002, 06:56 AM
D. Dillon

Dear cnugent,

Given that Kenmare is fairly close to Killarney, you need to decide in terms other than location.

I'm familiar with both towns, but have only stayed in Kenmare. While Kenmare is touristy, it's also attractive, well situated, and features many fine eateries and shops. Killarney is larger than Kenmare, and it's very touristy, with the emphasis on "very." Frankly, I'm not impressed with Killarney town, but it does work as a base for the splendors of the nearby national park. Still, the ride from Kenmare to Killarney is lovely and brief, and with that in mind I'd suggest that you choose Kenmare.

Have a wonderful trip.

P.S. By staying in Kenmare, you'd also be closer to touring the pretty and underrated Beara Peninsula, along with the attractive town of Glengariff, located just over the Cork border.

Oct 14th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Ann

The town of Killarney is the biggest tourist trap on the planet. Also, the restaurants tend to be overpriced, with below average food, and it's hard to find a pub that's not full of tourists.