Kenmare and Kinsale B&Bs

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Kenmare and Kinsale B&Bs

Continuing on our journey of booking B&Bs for a 2-week late August trip. Specific questions:

In Kenmare - there are rooms available at the Lodge (unfailingly great reviews on every board I visit) - but I'd like to see if there are lower cost alternatives that may work equally as well for us. Does anyone have experience or opinions about Virginia's Guest House or Hawthorn House?

In Kinsale - I've written the Olde Bakery but haven't heard anything in return. I've heard good reviews from others and, thought The Olde Presbytery sounds wonderful, the Olde Bakery is a bit more within our budget. Any suggestions regarding the Olde Bakery, or any other recommendations?

Thanks! Everyone has been so helpful here. I'm feeling like I've waited too long to book these and suddenly feel the need to wrap this up!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 10:57 PM

Caseyhen, I'm one who has stayed at The Lodge and liked it. Also, I've seen good reviews of both Virginia's and Hawthorn House. When I stayed at the The Lodge, I paid in cash and that brought the price down some. I don't know if they are still doing it. I do know you'll have a great time in Kenmare and I'm sure any of those 3 b&b's would be good.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

topping, and thanks, Chatham!
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 12:40 PM

We stayed at the OldeBakery and loved it.The husband and wife owners are delightful people.Its located within walking distance of everything.In Kenmare we stayed at Willow lodge located near Holy Cross Church.It was a very nice place. [email protected] have a great trip
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Tune. I'm still having no luck reaching the Olde Bakery, which is too bad since that's where I've decided we should stay! Does anyone have either a suggestion for reaching them or another Kinsale recommendation? Thanks! It looks like we'll be staying at Virginia's in Kenmare.
Old Jun 5th, 2006, 06:52 AM

We just spent three evenings at Virginia's and absolutely loved it. Neil and Noreen's hospitality is unmatched and breakfast was just incredible.

oopsy
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Reference OldeBakery,have you tried calling by phone.If they are on vacation they might have a answering machine.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 03:22 PM

I stayrd at the Friars Lodge in Kinsale in 2005 and would recommend it.Great location right in the heart of town and the rates were reasonable,100 Euros for two including breakfast.
http://www.friars-lodge.com/
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM
JWH

We stayed at the seashore farm house in Kenmare and liked it. I have a post with reviews on the places we stayed.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:14 PM

caseyhen,
I stayed at the Olde Bakery last July and thoroughly enjoyed it. The proprietors were absolutely charming, as was their place. They had talked of selling the business and moving across the street. Perhaps this has happened, but as suggested above, call
Good luck... you will enjoy Ireland, even if you don't get your first choice of lodging.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 05:06 AM
ddt

We stayed at Abby Court in Kenmare. Great place. The owner greets with tea/coffee and COOKIES. I like cookies. Great breakfast with the most fresh fruit of the trip. The views out the back were great and if you want a picture I will email it to you. As to Kilsale we stayed at Hillside and wouldn't again. When we left we drove up the coast toward Beara pinnsula and ther were a lot of great b&b's in little towns some looked awesome and the drive is beautiful. Doing it again I would opt for one of these and drive to Kinsale for a day. Good luck