Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Kalkan - things that we absolutely MUST do/see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Kalkan a week today and wondered if there was anything that is an absolute must to either see or do. I want to go diving, and possibly a boat trip. Any further suggestions?
Old Aug 15th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Kalkan is lovely! We were there for 4 nights in September 2000 and wished we had more time. We did one tour to Kekova (I think that was the spelling) and another town. The trip on the water was terrific - we stopped a couple of times and the water was wonderful and clear for swimming. We also went to Patara on our own - just took a dolmus, from what I remember. Very beautiful long beach with not a lot of people. We spent one afternoon at an expensive hotel (maybe "Club Patara"? can't remember the name) - it was across the bay from town and we took a water taxi there and hung out by the pool. They had these concrete platforms out over the sea as well. There were some nice shops (we bought a beautiful hand painted ceramic plate, very reasonably priced). Also some very nice restaurants. It really is a pretty area, and I hope you have a great time.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:00 AM

http://www.pataraviewpoint.com/tour.html

Just read your post - and probably will just miss you.

Have been to Patara for the last 2 years - I love it. It is very very quiet - but only 20 minutes from Kalkan.

We go into Kalkan 3 or 4 times over our fortnight - it has excellent rooftop restaraunts overlooking the marina - and a good choice of shopping for the ladies!!

Kalkan has seen a large influx of mainly English retirees who have bought many properties in the area - with the result that the cost of living prices are higher than in many other Turkish resorts.

It is still an excellent place to be - I personally prefer Patara. The beach there is absolutely beautiful and uncrowded.

I've done many of the trips on this link. Islamlar Village and the Lazy Day Boat Trip are my favourites.

http://www.pataraviewpoint.com/tour.html

If you take any of the trips and meet the owner Muzaffer or his brother Arif - tell them Osman (Brian) from room 108 says hello from Scotland. They are courteous and friendly always.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 12:47 PM

Go to Saklikent Gorge and have walk there, lunch with trout fish and visit Tlos, Xanthos, Pinara, letoon....

While in kalkan, make time to visit Kekova ( Simena ) the underwater city...

Have fun and have lovely time there...

I am planning to be there on 28th or 29th for couple of days....

Murat
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou! Sorry I missed the last two postings before I went. However, I absolutely agree that Kalkan is fantastic! I have just had the best two weeks ever. I actually ended up doing very little, but it was perfect. Patara is amazing, we went there a couple of times by dolmus, but the beach club in Kalkan (Kalamar) was so relaxing and handy for the hotel that we went there a few times as well. For anyone considering Kalkan I have to recommend the Paper Moon hotel and apartments. www.papermoonkalkan.com - the owners are incredibly friendly, the pool bar is lovely and the food is also really good. The choice of restaurants in Kalkan is absolutely amazing! For a foodie, it's an absolute dream.
I would tell anyone looking for a relaxing, friendly location then Kalkan is probably as close to perfect as you can get.
Old Sep 20th, 2003, 02:33 PM

we are going a week today and I am wondering about the beach clubs - do any of them have shady areas - I love sun but my husband likes to get away from it sometimes - someone mentioned Kalamar and I know that Patara has one too..I am so looking forward to my holiday!