Search

Just returned from Rome, Ponza Amalfi and Calabria. Happy to answer questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just returned from Rome, Ponza Amalfi and Calabria. Happy to answer questions

Hi All,
Just returned from 1 night in Rome, 3 nights in Ponza, 3nights on Amalfi coast and 5 nights in Calabria (Catanzaro Region). This site has been so helpful to me, I'm offering up a forum for anyone to ask me questions about the areas we visited.
Thanks and I look forward to being able to help.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:00 AM
GAC

Please give us your impressions of Ponza (including hotel and meals)
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 07:24 AM

Add to that your thoughts on Calabria. Thanks
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 08:12 AM

Hi Bock,

Would love to hear everything about PONZA! When is a good time to go? Where did you stay? Thanks!!
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

First Calabria.
We spent most of our time in Lamezia Terme which is in Catanzaro. We went to a town called Nicastro. This place was more of a commercial city with lots of high end designer shops and restaurants. I found the shopping here to be somewhat expensive although many of the shops sold the big name designer duds, so they would be expensive anywhere. We actually stayed with family for the whole time that we were there, so I can't help with regards to hotels. In the area of Calabria that we visited, it was very lush and mountainous. Lots of hills and valleys, plus the ocean on the other side. It was very nice, and easy to get around by car. Highways were very well marked, and the Autogrills (rest stops) on the highway are very very good. You can get a panino with cold cuts and an expresso and gelato at a very reasonable price.(it's all take-out though, there are no tables. We went to Tropea one day. It is a spectacular beach surrounded by old ruins atop a cliff. Very pretty. Crystal clear water and amazing snorkeling 50 feet from the shore line. My 10 year old spent an hour and a half amazed at all the schools of fish that he saw. There's a pretty town called Amantea that is close to where we were staying in Falerna. It's like a beach town. Many nice little shops, cafes and restaurants. We were easily able to pass a few hours there. Nearby we went to a Bar called Orca and had an awesome panino sandwich with prociutto, bocconcini cheese and tomato. They heated them up for us, so they were all melty and yummy.

Now Ponza. We stayed at the Chiarra di Luna (I'll post another message to correct spelling if necessary). It was an ok hotel. Don't think I'd stay there again. It had a pretty view, but the first quad room that we had was very dark on the bottom level with no windows. We switched the next day and it was better. I think we could do better. It cost us 900 Euros for 3 nights. I'll post another message. I have to look at a little book that I was given in Ponza that recommends 5 or 6 good hotels.
Ponza is beautiful. From Anzio you take a 70 minute ferry to the Island. It's like an old fishing village. There are very few north american tourists. It is apparently (according to our italian cousins) the place where many italians go to vacation. To me it was the land of beautiful people young and old. Great seafood restaurants and nice little shops. Three days there was perfect. If you go to Ponza, you must go to the pier and charter a boat for 6 or 7 hours that will take you around the Island. That was the highlight for us. This boat housed about 25 passengers. They made you an amazing pasta lunch on board and took you around to all of the caves and coves that make up the island. The boat stops and y ou can jump into the water that is crystal clear and medditeranian blue. The boat also stops at a beach. They let you off and you spend an hour or so frolicking there.
You can also take a taxi to the beach. It's quite lovely and there are AMAZIMG restaurants right on the beach that serve up the most amazing seafood pasta dishes.
As far as the best time to go, I would avoid August when the crowds will be intense. We were in Ponza on the 28th, 29th and 30th of June. That was a good time. Not over crowded at all.
I'll post again tomorrow when I have the names of those hotels.
Hope this helps.
Old Jul 12th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Thanks, Bock!

Both Ponza and Calabria sound fantastic. Yes, 900 euros for 3 nights in Ponza does sound a bit pricey. I'm sure there are other options (perhaps weekly rentals).
I cannot wait to plan my next trip to Rome and Ponza. Thanks for getting me inspired!
Old Jul 14th, 2004, 04:00 PM

where did you stay in the amalfi coast? thanks!