Search

Kalkan Or Kas? And Itinerary Question

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2003, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kalkan Or Kas? And Itinerary Question

Hi,

We are planning a trip in mid-Sept. to Turkey. I've read about Kalkan and Kas and both sound appealing to me. I am wondering, of those of you who have been to both, what the main differences are between the two?

Also, our itinerary so far looks like this
Day 1 Istanbul
Day 2 Istanbul
Day 3 Travel Day (Overnight bus?)
Day 4 Cappadocia
Day 5 Cappadocia
Day 6 Travel day (Bus to Ankara, fly to Antalya, bus to Kalkan/Kas? or would just overnight bus be easier)
Day 7 Kalkan/Kas
Day 8 Kalkan/Kas
Day 9 Kalkan/Kas
Day 10 Travel day (Fly to Istanbul)
Day 11 Departure

Does this look do-able, too much, any comments?

Thanks,
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:15 PM

Both are nice and worth going to. Kas is more picturesque, but also more touristy. Kalkan seems a little more relaxed. Both are highly recommended.

If you are in Kas, you can take a day trip to the Greek Island of Kastellorizo (or Meis), just a mile or two offshore. It is a tiny island, with a tiny village which seems to have been forgotten by time. It's only allowed on certain days of the week, so if you are interested, check ahead to make sure it is possible at the time you will be there.

Getting from Cappadocia to Kalkan or Kas is tough however you do it. I think I would just take the overnight bus.

Good luck and have fun.
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:18 PM

I found Kalkan much prettier than Kas - I thought it was very picturesque. We just made a day trip to Kas, we stayed in Kalkan for a few days and really enjoyed it.

We were there in September 2000. At the time, Kalkan had only 1 ATM machine and it didn't work with my work (which was on the Plus network). We had to go to Kas to get money - it's a bigger town and they had a couple of banks. Unfortunately neither of those machine worked for us either! (I think the connection was probably bad.) We ended up going back to Kalkan and exchanging money at the post office.

I'd love to go to Turkey!
Old May 1st, 2003, 03:33 PM

Hi Terri,

I recommend you go to Cappadocia via Kayseri by flight (100 KM far from Cappadocia region)rather then overnight bus from Istanbul to Cappadocia. (Nevsehir will be first city)Because it takes long trip and wastre whole days. Flight fee would be little bit higher then bus BUT you can make one day to explore nice area Cappadocia.
You can take a bus to KONYA on the way to Antalya maybe stay overnight in Konya if you like some whirling dervishes and archaelogy (to see CATALHOYUK dated 10.000 BC)
then another bus if you like to Antalya.
On the way you may some stops in Side to see some archaelogical side and ASPENDOS and PERGE (Please don't miss these 2 ruins) stay overnight in Antalya then to Kalkan and Kas there are many ruins on the way to see. The most important places to see are St Nicolaus Church, Myra and Kekova Island where you can see the SUNKENCITY.
After Kas you have to drive or take a bus to DALAMAN AIRPORT to fly to Istabul.

I want to give you one more advice for your trip. If you rent a car from Kayseri you may be more flexible for your trip and better then bus. For 2 people the expences is not make big difference if you compare with bus.
I think 11 days is enough for your trip.

Have a Trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz
[email protected]
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

From Dave: <<Getting from Cappadocia to Kalkan or Kas is tough however you do it. I think I would just take the overnight bus.>>>

Hmm..that makes me re-think my itinerary....maybe it would be easier to do Kalkan first, fly back to Istanbul, then do Cappadocia from Istanbul instead. Would that make sense?

Susan in Toronto: Thanks for your insights. I am beginning to think Kalkan may be better for us....pictures of it on the web are quite pretty and I'd rather be in a smaller place. Somehow I had envisioned Kas as being the smaller of the two.

As for the ATMs, that exact thing happened to us in Costa Rica recently. We drove thru San Gerardo de Dota (a pretty large town) with ATMs and when we reached Dominical (small beach community) we had to turn around and drive back about 30 miles to San Gerardo to get more cash......Thanks for the tip.

How was the weather for you in Sept.?

Sinan: You wrote << I recommend you go to Cappadocia via Kayseri by flight rather then overnight bus from Istanbul to Cappadocia. Because it takes long trip and wastre whole days.>>

I was thinking if we took the overnight bus we wouldn't waste any daylight time traveling?? I've heard there are "luxury" buses in Turkey so thought we'd be able to sleep on those?

Aalso, you wrote <<you can take a bus to KONYA on the way to Antalya maybe stay overnight in Konya if you like some whirling dervishes and archaelogy>>

Is there anywhere else we could see whirling dervishes in case we don't make it to Konya?

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:13 AM

Hi, Terri,
I think Kalkan is a wonderfully charming town and quite picturesque. But it's also been discovered by tourists. We were there in early Sept. 2001, and found it to be much more crowded than Kas. I thought Kas had a feeling of being a little faded, while Kalkan was the hot town in that region. In fact, evenings were quite crowded, but in a pleasant, bustly sort of way. It's very well-sited, too, and a good place for trips around the region.

I'm curious-- are you against renting a car? It would make travel in the region much easier, particularly from Cappadocia and in the coastal region. I can't speak for using the bus system, but flying between the major areas is quick and truly a bargain when you consider how much time you're saving.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi progol,

<<I thought Kas had a feeling of being a little faded>>

Was it faded in a good way or a bad way?

<<I'm curious-- are you against renting a car? It would make travel in the region much easier, particularly from Cappadocia and in the coastal region>>

No, I'm not opposed to driving. In fact usually I prefer driving because I feel I get to "see more" and also feel a little more independent...But since we don't have a lot of time on this trip, I was thinking that the overnight bus would save time in that we'd be sleeping while traveling. Then we'd have four full days in one place for activities in the Kalkan and/or Kas area.

Is the drive from Cappadocia to Kalkan area picturesque? I suppose we could drive from Cappadocia instead and drop the car somewhere on our last night in Med area and then fly back to Istanbul? Is that what you were thinking is the better way to go?

Terri
Old May 3rd, 2003, 04:42 AM

Dear Terri
AS I travel in this area very offen I
think best is to takev overnight train to Ankara and do not miss the marvelous museum of Ancient civizations then stay overnight or continue by bus to Gyreme or yrgyp about 4 hours drive then visit cappadocia for 2 days.
Next travel to Konya 4 hours drive overnight.
KOnya Pamukkale water cascades overnight
Kas/or Kalkan
at the end fly to ystanbul via Dalaman airport.
In case of details please do not hesi
tate in writing me or possting a message here.
regards

Nejat yncedogan
Guide/Travel Agent
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:34 AM

Hi TerriT

There is only one place to see the museum of Dervishes where also the big graveyard of Mevlana the founder of Dervish. and you may also visit the Medrese (religious school in Selcuk period 12.Century) which was converted to TILE MUSEUM belongs to Selcuk tiles.
INCE MINARET MOSQUE is another place to visit. I mentioned before CATALHOYUK really the best ruins to understand how the ancient people lived in 10.000 BC.

Yes there are beatiful wiev between Cappadocia and KAS/KALKAN and takes (NON-STOP)10 or 11 hours drive by yourself not bus.

Yes I understand if you don't have any time to stay over some places. BUT You can buy airplane ticket to Kayseri from Istanbul and stay over in Konya instead of sleeping on the bus.

You can rent a car from Kayseri and drop in Kalkan would be available.

Renting a car and buying airline ticket make your trip much better. This is my recommendation.

The last information If you want to see the WHIRLING DERWISHES DANCE you migh have in Istanbul. Here is the telephone number you can call and get information.

MUSEUM OF COURT LITERATURE
(212)245 41441

Sinan Akdeniz
[email protected]