Just Returned from Paris

Search

Just Returned from Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Returned from Paris

We just returned from a four day visit to Paris! It was excellent. The weather was colder than we expected, but that didn't stop us. I appreciate all the help from people on these boards.

-We arrived on Sunday. More tired on this flight than other overseas trips and were not able to check into hotel until noon. We crashed for two hours and headed to Notre Dame. Just beautiful. Walked inside and around the island. Not much open since it was Sunday, enjoyed a pannini for dinner. Crashed for the night.

-Monday: Headed to the Arc in the am. Climbed to the top- what a sight! Amazing the traffic in that circle. Walked Champs-Elysses and enjoyed shopping. Grabbed a quick bite and headed to Eiffel tower. It was a lot chillier in the afternoon and cloudy, but we went up to the top anyway. Not a great view, but still very impressive. We enoyed the top, second, and first floors. Lots of photos. Headed back to Bercy and had dinner at a Chinese restaurant.

Tuesday: went to Disneyland Paris. Met my brother and his family who live in Germany. We had a great time. I realize this is not for everyone, but a high priority to my daughter. And being with family is always fun.

Wednesday: Headed to Sacre Coeur. What a sight! It was a beautiful day, chilly- but clear. The view was spectacular. I believe this might have been my favorite spot. Rode the funicular up and walked down. Walked a little around the area- would love to have had more time. Went to Moulin Rouge to see.

Picked up panninis and quiche for lunch.

Headed back to Notre Dame to walk up with my daughter. Very worth the trip, but we were glad we left dad at the bottom. The enclosed, spiral stairs would have done him in! The view amazing! The gargoyles everything we expected.

Went to Lourve at 6:00pm for the night. My daughter and husband made a good plan to get us to the must sees. Our major mistake was not eating before going in as planned. So instead we had snack food because we were hungry and many of the cafes inside closed at 7pm. Bummer.

Overall thoughts for newbies:
-read and try to decide what type of metro you want when you arrive and see your metro stop. We ended up getting tickets to/from CDG, Disneyland, one book of 10 tickets, 2 one day mobilis on Wednesday, one ticket juenes for daughter on Sunday. I would not get the Paris Vista Pass, but do decide if the Carte Orange is worth your money.

-I would have prefered to have taken the hop on/off bus tour the first two days as Paris is a huge city. I like being acquainted with the areas when I first arrive. The price is a little steep, but would have been worth it for first timers.

-There is no way to see everything in three days! We will have to return! So, enjoy the time you are there, decide what you would like to see and do. Then do it!

We missed St. Chappelle because it closed early for something, but we did get some great Berthillion ice cream!!

We enjoyed our time in Paris and look forward to a return visit.

Thanks to all for your help with our trip!
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 06:30 PM

Thank you!
A real whirlwind visit! But you saw so much!
I agree, the view from Sacre Coeur is breathtaking, we walked up and we took the funicular down.. I really enjoyed that day and I really enjoyed your trip report.

Regarding Disneyland..if you <i>have </i>to go to Disneyland ( and I am sure as a parent, it was neccesary ) then why not in France? ~lol
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 08:31 PM

You had such a great time!

Now, we all know how the people of France (ar least some of them) feel about their language. So, I have to speak up for the people of Italy.

&quot;Panino&quot; is one sandwich, &quot;panini&quot; is plural. There ain't no &quot;paninis&quot;.

I know this is a hopeless cause with the word PANINI appearing in windows all over America (home sweet home) and the natural way we'll have of saying &quot;I want a panini!&quot; because no one selling them will know better. &quot;No, caro, you want a panino ...&quot; It'll never happen.

But YOU~ you are an international, jet-hopping bon vivant. YOU I expect more of. So, for the record, and for the future, you had a PANINO for dinner. (More of a spuntino than a dinner, but flying does mess up the appetite, doesn't it?)

Or WE ordered 3 PANINI.

Bon soir!!!! And buono appetito.
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 08:34 PM

Just bought a new coat with a lining for Paris and the cold. Thanks for the weather update...
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 08:39 PM
tod

WOW that was a fun-filled tour! Thanks for the report.
Question though: After your short whirl around the Louvre were you not able to grab a bite at the Food Court inside the Louvre? I thought it stayed open till about 10pm.
A titbit of info from my end:
You never have to walk up to the top of the Arc de T (unless you want to of course) as there is a lift opposite the ticket booth. Not very obvious but just ask and they will point it out.
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 08:48 PM
tod

Oh PS sanitchboy - Thanks for the insight on panino/panini but please spell sandwhich like this?! Ha Ha!
Have a good day!
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 08:50 PM
tod

Oh golly - satnitcboy I mean!
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Maybe we missed the food court. Inside the pyramid, there was a food cafe that was still open which served hot dogs (out of for the day), brownies, waffles, drinks. And a fancy restaurant, which was closed due to a party that night- although we were not dressed for that. Maybe we were on the wrong floor. What a shame!

We saw the lift when we came down. Since we are not handicapped, we did not think to ask that anyone could ride.

Walking up at least makes a good story!

Thanks all!
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:08 AM

hey satnitcboy,

at this very moment i am sitting at the internet cafe on rue de la harpe which is next store to the mc donalds which is on the corner of bd st germain and bd st michel.

i read your panini/panino diatribe. (okay it wasn't a diatribe but it went on and on)

i just took a walk down bd st germain and i see panini in all the windows for advertisements. specifically, the &quot;crepuscule&quot; which is next to the &quot;stop cluny bar brasserie&quot;. and i took a walk down st. michel and noticed the word PANINI not PANINO.

go easy on being critical of others. it takes the fun out of this board.

ps. why am i in an internet cafe while in paris? this is my tenth day in central paris and i am taking a break from seeing it all.

au revoir
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome back. You know how to enjoy that beautiful city.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Of course the sign said pannini--the caf&eacute; was hoping to sell more than just one!

BTW, the same rule applies to zucchini, which is the plural for zucchino. It really doesn't hurt to learn just a wee bit of Italian.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:11 AM

I think it is interesting and useful to learn what words really mean in foreign languages, and there isn't much point in allowing people to repeat errors, losangeleseurope. There is nothing wrong with that allowing people to continue to say wrong things doesn't &quot;take the fun out&quot; of this board. That post about plurals what just informative and wasn't critical at all, it's not nearly as bad as the almost daily posts on here by someone who constantly criticizes others' wording and post titles and tells the poster they are forcing others to read things and taking up their time.

However, of course the plural is going to be what is advertised in a window because any restaurant or store should have more than one of an item to sell.