Just returned from honeymoon!

Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Just returned from honeymoon!

Hello everyone!
My wife and I just returned from a month of travelling Italy for our honeymoon. The trip looked like this....
Fly from SFO to Rome....train/ferry to the island of Ischia...
4 nights Sant Angelo (Ischia)
1 night Sorrento
3 nights Rome
8 nights Florence
2 nights Venice
2 nights Castelrotto
2 nights Varenna
3 nights Vernaza
1 night Orvieto
1 night Rome.....Fly to SFO

The trip was amazing!!!! So many beautiful places to see and experiences to be had. Let's see, where to start? First, I will be adding to this thread over the next few days as there is much to write. We stayed in Florence for 8 nights because we have family there (free apartment). It was very hot and humid at times during our trip.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

We were married on a Saturday and did not leave until Thursday. In my opinion, this was extremely helpful in allowing us to relax a little before heading off. We met three other couples doing the same thing as us, and all three had left the very next day after their wedding. Not a good idea for any honeymoon planners out there.

We started our trip on the island of Ischia, in the town of Sant Angelo (it took quite a long time to get there from California, and my new wife was ready to kill me for starting our trip on such a tough to reach place). It was absolutely everything we had hoped it would be! Incredibly beautiful, very peaceful and quiet, and of course...romantic. We stayed at Hotel Miramare, and it was excellent. The hotel also has a hot springs area not far from the hotel, so that was wonderful too. We spent four relaxing nights on Ischia, just getting some sun and walking around the town.
Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

After four wonderful nights on Ischia we took the ferry to Sorrento for a night. We stayed at Casa Astarita, a cute little B & B on the main street. After arriving, we settled in and had a nice dinner. The next day we took the bus down to Positano. It was an amazing drive, the view is absolutely beautiful! We walked around Positano, bought some ceramics, and then caught the bus back to Sorrento. Afterwards we got our bags and boarded a train for Rome...
Aug 2nd, 2003, 07:47 PM

Sounds wonderful so far. Congratulations on your nuptuals!

By the way did you know that it takes Italians seven years to navigate through the divorce process? It used to take twenty, yes twenty years! I am married to a Florentine, but we got married at my parents house in Malibu, California in the good ole USA.

Looking very forward to the rest of your report.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

We arrived in Rome and took the Metro, it was very crowded. We stayed near San Giovanni en Laterno, in a studio apartment I found on cross-pollinate.com. The view of the church was very good, but other than that we were not very happy with the accomodations. That night we just had dinner and relaxed on our terrace.
The next day we went to the coliseum, the forum, the Emmaneul Vittorio monument, and the pantheon. We had a nice picnic lunch near Campo Fiori. All of the sights were really cool to see. That night we had dinner our room.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 06:52 PM

Keep going, Josh...enjoying your report! Congrats on your nuptials!
Aug 4th, 2003, 06:17 AM
ira

topping for josh
Aug 4th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

For our second full day in Rome we made a trip to the Vatican City to see St. Peter's and the Vatican Museum. St. Peter's was absolutely amazing!!! The size of the building is incredible, and inside is breathtaking. We were in awe. After seeing the church we walked over to the museum. There were many interesting pieces to see...and of course, the Sistine Chapel, which was also amazing. I can't imagine what Michaelanglo went through to complete it.
Afterwards we went to the National Museum across the street from the train station. It was good too, but by this time we were pretty tired. We headed back to our room to rest up.
Before dinner we went to the Spanish Steps, which was pretty neat to see in the evening....then went to a nice dinner, I will post the name of the restaurant later....afterwards we walked to the Trevi Fountain. Again, interesting to see at night with all the people out.
The next morning we packed up and caught a train to Florence...