Reload this Page >

Just Return-3 Week Tour of Portugal

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 06:46 AM
Jeff Kronenberg

We just got back from a 3 week tour of Portugal. We started in Sintra, and went to Evora, Arralios, Marvao, Castelo Vide, Belmonte, Serra Estrella, Gouviea, Foz Coa, Torre de Moncorvo, Duro Valley, Pinhao, Guimarres, Ponte de Lima, Tui (Spain), Valenca, Caminha, Barcelos, Batalha, Coinimbra, Tomar, and Lisbon. <BR><BR>The trip was one week by train/taxi/bike, and 2 weeks by rental car. We would be happy to share pointers on travel, food, hotels, weather, etc.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:10 AM
Debbie

Jeff - Please write a detailed trip report. Portugal (including Madeira) is at the top of our trip list next year. Any insite you can provide would be appreciated by all Fodorites! Thanks and hope you enjoyed your trip.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:51 AM
xxx

Please post that detailed report. Planning a March 2003 trip. Can I be so bold to ask if the email address you use here is real so that I may ask you specific questions. I can't/won't use mine here as my email is at work.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:53 AM
aj

Jeff,<BR><BR>Where did you stay in Sintra. Hope to be in Lisbon and Sintra in May 2003. Thanks.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:29 PM
topper

up

Old Nov 23rd, 2002, 12:05 PM
topper

ttt

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:25 PM
Jeff Kronenberg

I just posted an extensive trip report for the second time, but for some reason it is not appearing on this site.<BR><BR>For accomodations in Sintra, we enjoyed Quinta Verde de Sintra for 75 Euros a night. They also picked us up at the airport, since we didn't want to rent a car.<BR><BR>You may email me if you have more questions on our trip.<BR><BR>Jeff

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am planning a trip to Portugal next Oct/Nov; I also would like to see your trip report. Thanks
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 03:15 AM

I stayed in Sintra for three nights in March 2002. Our choice was the Residencial Sintra, which is a short (15) minute walk out of the main town. It's located on a beautiful family estate (the pool wasn't in use at that time of year, but would have been lovely in summer). Rooms are spacious and comfortable (some with 1 queen and 1 twin - great for families). The owners make this place worth returning to, although it's nice on its own. They are multi-lingual (P,S,E,G,F), incredibly friendly and helpful. . .I highly recommend this one. I loved Sintra and it was easy to fill three days there (book a tour of the Quinta da Regaleira - it's a private estate, but shouldn't be missed!).
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 03:21 AM

Jeff, there's a word limit per post. You should be able to post your report by breaking it into segments of about 250 words each, and posting them as replies to this thread.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:47 PM

Jeff- We have booked a fly rive tour through Abreau for April. They just informed us the Pousada in evora is booked and we will be in Estremoz-about 20 minutes away. Do you think we will still be able to visit Evora easily-we have to leave Estremoz and drive to Beja. Can you recommend a roadmap? we will start near Lisbon and drive west and then south to the Algarve and back to Lisbon. Any hints about driving will also be appreciated. thanks. Patrick.
Old Jan 31st, 2003, 03:49 AM

This is not Jeff, but we are spending 2+ weeks in Portugal in March and perhaps I can offer some of what I have researched. I bought a Michelin map of Portugal at Barnes &amp; Noble. It is very detailed and very big. The only drawback I can see is that it will be difficult to look at while in the car because it is so big. I have also printed off driving directions from viamichelin.com. We are using Estremoz as a base for 4 nights. One of our days is dedicated to Evora.
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 08:30 PM

where would you reccommend as accommodation near sintra?<BR> john
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 07:06 AM

My wife and I will also be visiting Portugal from the 13th of March thru the 3oth of March. This will be our 2nd visit to Lisbon and the Algarve. the first was almost 10 years ago and the two weeks was way too short. I vowed to return and see more of the north. Now, after 2 or 3 months of research, I think most of our plans are just about complete. I found some realy good deals on airfare, Lisbon accomodations, rental cars, and places to visit from Albuferia to Braga. The office of Portuguese Natioanal Tourist Information was particularly helpful to me.<BR><BR>Since many of the posters here have asked about maps/info on accomodations, let me give you their number/address. For folks in the USA their Telephone number is (212) 354-4403, or toll free 1-800-PORTUGAL Their address is 590 Fifth Ave, New York, NY 10036-4704.<BR><BR>They were extremely helpful and they provided me with a great package of tourism phamphlets which contain great, up to date driving maps, pictures and information on all the pousada's and other accomodations throughout Portugal.<BR><BR>If you are traveling during the low season the Pousada's are inexpensive and unique lodgings, and if you are over 60 years of age their golden age dicount is 35% off the low season rates, We will be staying 6 or 7 nights in National and Regional Pousada's in Marvao, Que Luz, Condeixa-a-Nova, Mesao Frio, and in Guimaraes. The average price of the rooms in these great historic buildings is going to be about 73 Euro's a night including breakfast. Try this web site www.pousadas.pt I hope this info helps some of you. I have been looking for accomodations and itineraries and maps and these publications are great. I still use this web site to pick up tips on what are the best restaurants to try in the cities that we will be visiting...adios