Just got back from Portugal and sad

Sep 16th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Just got back from Portugal and sad

Hello everyone,

Just returned from a 2-week holiday in Portugal and Seville and I'm totally depressed to be back
I was in the Lisbon/Sintra area for a couple of days, went to Nazaré and the Algarve region. Amazing trip, love Portugal! The food was amazing, ate delicious fish every day. If anyone needs information, let me know and I'll be happy to answer your questions.

Sep 16th, 2004, 01:41 PM

Hi Rozelle,
I'd love to hear more about your trip. We are thinking of joining another couple for a trip to Lisbon with 4 days in the Algarve region. I've just begun my research on Portugal. It is not a country I know very much about. What type of city is Lisbon? Did you find enough to do for a week? What were the highlights that I would not want to miss? Same for Algarve.
Thanks for any pointers you can give!
Glad you had a good trip!
Lindy
Sep 16th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Isn't Porugal amazing!?!? I spent 2 weeks in Lagos, in the Algarve...and was only schedualed to stay for 4 nights originally! I just couldnt get away. I ended up cancelling my trip to Lisbon, and then even changed my flight for a weel later! All I did was lay on the beach pretty much, as I was there in June, but anytime of year will be great. ENJOY!
Sep 16th, 2004, 02:03 PM
ira

>...I'm totally depressed to be back..

Oh, good. I was afraid that your visit to Portugal was a bummer.

You have 10 days to file a trip report or the fodor's computer will send a message to your computer that will fry the motherboard.
Sep 16th, 2004, 02:10 PM

Hey rozelle. Though ira's a bit brusque in his trip report request he makes a good point.

I find that reviewing my notes (if I took any) and writing out a "diary" of the trip to post a report helps me remember the good times. I find myself thinking happy thoughts and re-living my vacation rather than being wistful and down.

Of course the best thing to do is start planning your next trip!
Sep 16th, 2004, 03:12 PM

Rozelle, I know exactly how you feel. I get a bit depressed when I return from a wonderful trip, but we do just about what Indytravel does and that is try not to dwell on the "how much you miss it part" but rather on the "how much you enjoyed part". It works for me and my husband. And, it does help to begin researching another trip even if it is not in the immediate future.

Dave, aren't you leaving soon for somewhere wonderful? I'm just a bit envious. Have a great trip!

Ira, I still haven't posted the rest of my trip report about our journey to Italy and France in July. It's ready, but I just haven't done it. One of these days I will post it so that I won't have any problems with Fodors!
Sep 16th, 2004, 03:21 PM

Rozelle,
I would love to see a trip report too. We are planning a trip thre in March.

I may want to ask more specific questions as the trip gets closer. I cannot wait to experience Portugal!!

I am very curious about Algarve.

Thanks,
Anne
Sep 16th, 2004, 05:02 PM

Yes Marianna I'm leaving for Omaha, NE tomorrow! Gosh dang I can't wait!

OK, just teasing. Though I am going to Omaha for the weekend and I do love seeing my friend from Jr. High and his lovely family. I'm leaving for Europe next Friday.

4 nights in France then 10 in Greece. I've never been to Greece so I'm very excited. I've been studying my Greek language CD and checking weather.com.

I'll be sure to post a report when I return.
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:36 AM

annesherrod:

Our trip to Portugal in 2003 was in March. We found the weather to be mild (compared to the Midwest in March) anywhere from 50-70 degrees. However, it was not beach weather.
Sep 17th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Here's my brief trip report.
For LindyE: I found Lisbon to be similar to most European cities. I don't think you need to spend a week there but again it depends on what you like to do. I think 3-4 days is enough. If you can, go to Luso for a great dinner and Fado. It is a bit touristy but I still enjoyed it.

To everyone else:
I started my trip in the Lisbon/Sintra area. Spent about 3 days there. Stayed at the Quinta Verde in Sintra. Lovely b&b but a bit out of Sintra (about 15 minutes). Sintra is worth seeing. We then drove north for a bit to a very cute fishing village called Nazaré. They have a whole bunch of old ladies trying to get you to get a room in one of the houses. We ended up getting one, very clean with its own bathroom for only 40 euros! After Nazaré, we drove down the coast to the Algarve. What a beautiful place. I spent most of my time in Portimao and quite enjoyed it. I went to Albufeira for a bullfight. The bullfight was amazing but I didn't like Albufeira, too touristy. It looks like a mini Las Vegas. Went to Faro for a bit, nice. Took a boat ride on a very small fishing boat in Portimao to visit the caves, that was amazing. Shop around for the fishing boat, try to get a man that is really skinny, with glasses and that speak English, he was great. Sorry, I don't remember his name. The food in Portugal is simply amazing. The fish is prepared very simply to allow you to really taste the food. The wines are great. I have to say that I was in Portugal with someone who lives there and he's Portuguese so it made all the difference in the world. I got the chance to see places I don't think I would have seen otherwise. My advice is don't hesitate to ask the locals what roads you should take or what beach you should go to.
We also went to Seville for 2 days. Stayed at the Hacienda Vera Cruz, very nice but not right in Seville. If you don't get lost, it should take you about 20 minutes to get to the center of the city. The Cathedral is a must, having tapas, carriage ride.
I think that's it.
Have fun in Portugal, it's such a beautiful country!
Sep 17th, 2004, 08:03 PM

We also just returned from a trip to the Dordogne area and then a couchette to Lisbon where we rented a car and made Sintra our base. We stayed at the Sintra Tivoli where we got a web site deal for 70 euro a night. We rented a car and went north to the beaches and found Magoito which was the most beautiful beach with a terrific restaurant right on a cliff overlooking the beach. We went to Peniche and had a fish stew right on the wharf which was incredible. Sintra was a bit touristy right in town but the Moorish castle (9th century) and Pena palace are gorgeous and the views are outstanding. We visited the western most point in Europe a Cabo da Roca with one of the most beautifully set lighthouses I have ever seen. Portguese people are friendly, helpful and warm. The beaches are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen. I also didn't want to return, but now I get to plan my next trip to Portugal.
Sep 17th, 2004, 08:09 PM

I totally relate to the depressed feeling, though I don't know Portugal (it's on my must-see list). Every time I return from Europe I have only one goal in mind - to get back there as soon as possible. Thankfully, I leave next Thursday, so right now the hollow feeling isn't so bad.
Sep 17th, 2004, 09:34 PM

Hello Rozelle, i would love to hear about your trip. I am trying to plan a surprise for my wife's 40th birthday. I have just started my research as I am seeking a nice place with great food and warm people. We would be traveling in Dec and would most likely spend 3 days in Lisbon only before returning to the midwest. Would love to see if this could be a winner. Thanks.
Sep 19th, 2004, 02:12 PM

Rozelle,

On your thread "Taxi: Lisbon to Sintra" you said:
I may have to take a taxi from the Lisbon airport to Sintra, any ideas how much it would cost me?
Let me know the currency you're using to give me the cost.
Obrigada!

So, how much was it?

Sep 19th, 2004, 02:33 PM

I'm with you with those feelings. Wish I were still in France.
Sep 20th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

To hopscotch:

I didn't need to take a cab after all
Sep 20th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the information Rozelle.
Sep 20th, 2004, 03:15 PM

The high I get from traveling to Europe lasts for weeks. The day I get back I start planning my next trip. In fact, I am planning my trips for the next 2 years. 4th trip to Europe in 12 months coming up. Life is good and getting better.
Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:23 AM

Hi, We're off to Portugal this week-end and a month from now we'll be singing the blues also.

You might enjoy reading our travelogues: http://thetravelzine.com TheTravelzine is non-commercial.
Sep 29th, 2004, 05:38 PM

Can you tell me how you traveled around from Lisbon to Nazare and the Algarve? We're leaving next week to spend 2 weeks in Portugal. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO