Just got back from Italy

Search

Just got back from Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from Italy

My husband and I just got back from spending two weeks in Italy. We had a great time visiting with my family and just enjoying the sites. The only problem that we had was with our hotel in Rome. I am still trying to figure out why the majority of people on this site recommend the Del Senato in Rome. We stayed there based on the reviews and was highly disappointed. Rooms extremely small, price extremely high, problems with water splashing on the floor from the shower, breakfast was your typical breakfast except that they offered one type of cheese and it was swiss cheese!!! We had stayed at the Nazionale for one night prior to the Del Senato( we were staying in Rome 5 nights and Del Senato only had a room for 4 nights avaliable). The Nazionale which is about a 2 minute walk from the Del Senato was less expensive and the room was huge. Breakfast also consisted of swiss cheese, but included some italian cheeses as well. Would recommend the Nazionale, but not the Del Senato. Rosa
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:55 PM

<i>&quot;I am still trying to figure out why the majority of people on this site recommend the Del Senato in Rome.&quot;</i>

There is plenty of information on this forum regarding the very small rooms at the del Senato. I think I provided precise measurements in one or two of my own postings. Some people only see what they want to see.
Old May 27th, 2004, 01:59 PM

HI--this is useful info that more people might read if you repost it saying something w/the name of the hotel in the heading. I also have noticed the raves about this hotel on this site and wondered if we would try it next time, but after your post I think we will stick w/the Santa Chiara which we were very happy with last time.
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:03 PM

I stay at the Del Senato for the rooftop bar. I spend more of my waking hours there than in my room. I do agree with the room small, price high comment.
Old May 27th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Re NYCFoodSnob reply, it was not just the room size, and you still did not answer the question as why the del Senato is such a rave at Eur 245 a night!! Why was swiss cheese the only cheese they served!! I am in Italy and I want italian cheeses. Also the pblm with the shower and all the water on the floor we felt that we were in Venice. They stated they could not do anything about it and that all the rooms with showers were like that. Also, the roof top garden bar was closed and they stated that it does not open unitl the end of May or the beginning of June which was not stated on their website.
Old May 27th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
manna, in Europe the showers are like that. We, here, are used to enclosed stalls. I have flooded many a bathroom by not being careful and mopped up with the towels. Also have tripped getting out of too deep tubs, cant find the toilet flusher at times. But these have made many a funny tale to tell.'
Europe is delightfully different.
Old May 27th, 2004, 05:44 PM

Sorry to hear you didn't like the Del Senato, but on the bright side, your postis already making it less popular and therefore, it may eventually get easier and cheaper to reserve a room there. As for the shower problem, Room 602 has an enclosed shower and we never had water on the floor. I've always enjoyed the breakfast at the Del Senato, especially when you consider that the breakfast included in the room rate of most three star hotels is coffee and a roll. At least you had cheese, and a selection of meats, eggs, yogurt, cereals, fruits, pastries, rolls, juices and milk to choose from.
Old May 27th, 2004, 06:53 PM

I do love hearing from Grinisa.

Frankly, I believe I said if I couldn't stay in Room 602, I wouldn't ever consider staying at the del Senato. These days I need a room big enough to entertain guests and a terrace for cocktail hour is always an extra perk.

Both rooms I rented for the day to photograph had enclosed bath tubs. These were superior doubles with a view. Sounds to me like you got one of the bargain basement doubles. Every Rome hotel has their share.

<i>quot;At least you had cheese...&quot;</i>

Very funny. I don't participate in hotel breakfasts because I have coffee and breakfast soon after I wake up, long before shower and make-up. I prefer to eat breakfast in private. My breakfast is always fresh bread, butter, and jam. I have my favorite places in Rome to purchase these items. The last thing I would ever crave for breakfast is cheese.
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:11 AM
ChatNoir

Last year, I saw NYCFoodSnob storm out of Del Senato in a wild rage after being rudely insulted by the arrogant staff swine who had the nerve to rent out her exclusive and famous room 602.

Her many girlie-man assistants were lugging ten steamer trunks and a ton of expensive camera gear.

Snob was dressed &quot;to the nines&quot; and had her long, but oh so professionally made up, nose high in the air.

Her face was beet red and she would not even slow down to listen to the many pathetic pleas of the very fantic hotel staff.

&quot;Please return to us,&quot; they begged like young children about to be sent to a foster home. &quot;Please return to our glorious roof-terrace which we will gladly open just to honor you!&quot;

The tragic loss of this valuable rich customer sent violent vibrations through the entire hotel industry in Rome - hell hath no greater fury like NYCFoodSnob scorned!

Old May 28th, 2004, 04:26 AM

Well, the hypocrite, low-end Chubnuts is back in full force. Seems she has more in common with mk2 than she thinks. You know what they say, birds of a feather...
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:34 AM
ChatNoir

Snob, I actually like your very unique &quot;character&quot;. I wrote that story with a warm smile and not a cold sneer.

Stop being so defensive - not everyone is out to get you. You have endeared yourself to many of us with your interesting observations about so many diverse subjects.

Old May 28th, 2004, 04:39 AM

Spare me your two-faced bs. I think most people here have your number.
Old May 28th, 2004, 05:19 AM
ChatNoir

Snob, crude language does not become you. I'm sure everyone here also has your number(s), but why dwell on the negative?

I've tried to extend a warm hand of peace and friendship, but you slapped it away. Fine. Change takes time.

I will be gracious and try again in the future. Please remember, we are all laughing WITH you and not AT you. Maybe that will take away your intense fear and resentment.

Now get out there and be pompous and overbearing to a fault, so we can all smile again at your witty and zany posts.

Old May 28th, 2004, 05:27 AM

yada, yada, yada...break wind.
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Dear ChatNoir-

Perhaps you would like to explain to us what a girlie-man is? It's those type of put-downs that lead to Matthew Shepard's death. You don't belong here. You don't belong anywhere.
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:02 AM

girlie-man is a term popularized by a SNL comedy skit in which two fitness gurus promise to &quot;pump you up.&quot; In that context, it means a physically weak man.
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:45 AM

LOL, Bob!