Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just got back from Ireland ... any questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I just returned from Ireland after spending ten days in bed and breakfasts. Most of our time was spent in the southwest part of the country. If anyone has any questions, please ask! We had a great time!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 05:21 PM

My only question ---will you tell us all about it?
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 05:37 PM

We are going to Ireland in October for 15 days and will be spending about 7 or 8 days in the Southwest region. Any itineraries including places you stayed (with comments) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:01 PM

I'm impressed - 10 DAYS in bed and breakfasts???!!! Now that could REALLY have been a great time! But did you get to see any of Ireland?
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Well, here goes.
We flew into Shannon Airport. SMALL airport, easy in, easy out, no problem. Traffic in the area is quite light, so driving and getting a feel for the roads was a relatively good experience.

Our original plan was to drive to Dooling and spend the nights. The driving went well, and we were able to see the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren in several hours time, including a stop for lunch and tea. Since the day was going quite well, and we were going to head north the next day, we decided not to stay in Doolin and made our way to Galway for the night.

Traffic in Galway was a mess, as we passed through the downtown at lunch hour. We stayed the night at Atlantic Heights B&B. Great place, and Madeline was a terrific hostess. Four rooms, intimate, and when talking to Madeline she took a genuine interest in you and your days events. Fine breakfast. Rooms were rather small, and perhaps a new mattress was in order, but clean, quiet and a real family feel to the operation. I would stay at Atlantic Heights B&B again. 35 Euros per person.

We traveled to and toured the Connemara area the next day. It was a full days drive. The city of Clifden is nice, but all the tour buses are there. Kylemore Abbey was a great visit. Drive the coast road from Galway to Clifden, have lunch, then defintely stop at Kylemore for an afternoon break. We made it back to Galway for the second night at Atlantic Heights.

The next day we headed off toward the center of the country for an overnight at Cashel, where you need to visit the Rock of Cashel, a tremendous castle fortress that towers over the town of Cashel and the adjoing plains. Prior to arriving at Cashel we visited the city of Birr and it's castle. We found the Birr Cstle to be very expensive to visit (12.40 euro each) and not terribly impressive. We stayed at Ladyswell House B&B, on the mainstreet in Cashel. The owners were out of town for the night, and a lovely middle aged woman was taking over their duties for the nights. We had a delightful conversation with her that evening, a real pleasure. Ladyswell House was another vern nice B&B, also having four rooms, I think. The only downside was the truck traffic through the city at night, as well as several young partiers who stood outside our second floor window and shouted and drank until about 1:00am. I guess that is the downside to being in a city for the overn

We left Cashel the next day and stopped at the castle in the city of Cahir. Beautiful, and more moderately priced. Definitely worth a visit. Then, onto Blarney Castle. We found Blarney Castle to be very nice, and have beautiful grounds. I know that some people have said they don't care for it's touristy feel, but we loved it. After all, we are tourists!! We completed a long day of driving and ened up in Killarney for the next four nights. Details about Killarney, and the rest of our stay, will follow in a seperate message as time permits...
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Author: kathcoll ([email protected])
>>Date: 06/04/2003, 10:01 pm
>>Message: I'm impressed - 10 DAYS in >>bed and breakfasts???!!! Now that >>could REALLY have been a great time! >>But did you get to see any of Ireland?

Now, now Kath...I meant four NIGHTS....my, aren't you particular
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:21 PM

Well, you got me smiling - after working a 12 hour shift I needed a good smile!