Car rental advise

Old May 16th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental advise

We are traveling from Paris to Bayeux in June. We will be there for two weeks. I've been to most of the car rental sites, but can't tell from the tiny pictures which car would best fit a family of five. Has anyone ever rented a Renault Laguena? Also, it seems that only AutoEurope are available in Bayeux. Does anyone know of other car rental possibilities there? This will be a large expense for us and we want to get the best balance of price and value. Thanks.
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:20 AM

the laguena is quite large, maybe not quite as large as a full size american car, but probably with less trunk room...go to the specific car makers web-sites and you will probably find all of the dimensions or auto europe will help you with that...i would think that you might want to consider a van type vehicle...;.
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:25 AM

Several people on this board have recommended leasing a car rather than renting one. I think two weeks is the minimum for the cost to equal or beat a straight rental. With a lease insurance is included. Renault has gotten good reviews. Visit www.renaultusa.com.
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:27 AM
donnabee

Not familiar with the car, but remember! If you are picking the car up from the airport, make sure the car you get has room for your luggage! We rented a compact car once in Spain, which is great for getting around, but we could only fit 2 pieces of luggage in the trunk. The rest we had to tie up on the roof. We looked like the Beverly Hillbillies!

Old May 16th, 2003, 02:54 PM

The Laguna, rated for 4 adults and a child, will cost from $919 to $1649 for the first 17 days. If you insist on an automatic, you are looking at a higher price. You might be able to do better with a rental.
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:08 PM

insight,

A Renault Laguna SEDAN *or similar* (you're never guaranteed a specific make or model when you rent) would be a little tight if you have luggage, however a WAGON should be fine.

AutoEurope isn't a car rental company with its own fleet - it's a broker. Check these major car rental company sites to see who has locations in Bayeux (I assume most of them do):
www.alamo.com
www.avis.com
www.budget.com
www.europcar.com
www.hertz.com
www.national.com
www.sixt.com

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:22 PM

Renault Laguna is about the size of Toyota Corola, or Mazda 323 or the chevy Cavalir. Certainly not a US mid-size standard, but OK for a European trip, unless, of course you have lots of luggage.

4 years ago we rented a car in Scotland. They didn't have the car we ordered so they upgraded us to a MERCEDES 180 -- a large, beautiful car --- but the luggage compartment was so inefficiently built, that we had to keep one luggage inside, on the back seat... The same luggages went into the backs of 2 other SMALLER cars (private taxis), without any problems...
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:32 PM

Hmmm.... I see why you were having trouble - didn't realize how small Bayeux actually is!

Did find a HERTZ station in Bayeux, nothing else though.

Another car rental company with an office in Bayeux is ADA, but their web site is only in french:
www.ada.fr
Here's the address of their Bayeux office:
24, rue d'Auge
14000 CAEN
Tylyphone : 011 33 2 31 34 88 89
Fax : 011 33 2 31 34 89 75

Anyway, is there any reason why you're not driving to Bayeux from Paris?

Old May 16th, 2003, 03:42 PM

insight,

The Laguna is certainly larger than the cars Mamamia mentioned - she must be confusing it with a Megane.

Comparable cars in the US would be the Ford Contour, Honda Accord etc.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:36 PM

Sounds like you've gotten some really good advise here. The only thing I'd like to add is that whatever you decide, DON'T rent from Hertz in France. We did and it was a nightmare. Other people have posted similar experiences.

I'm really curious about leasing instead of renting. Sounds like something worth checking out.

Have a great trip.
Old May 16th, 2003, 07:19 PM

You're right, ANDRE, andI apologize... yes, the megan is more like the cars I mentioned, the Laguna is larger, quite nicer for long trips.
Old May 17th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all this help! This is our first trip and I would be lost without all the helpful information on this board.
Old May 17th, 2003, 11:24 PM

Has anyone tried, EasyCar?
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:45 AM

Rent an intermediate size Peuguot.
I have had problems with
Avis and Hertz, with lack of inspection and requested receipts when returned. Other than that, I stay with Hertz. Anyone else have bad problems, or good experiences with hertz?
Old May 19th, 2003, 11:51 AM

We are a family of five and last year in Italy we rented a 9 passenger Ford Transit - it was huge but perfect for people space, five large suitcases and backpacks.
We are having a terrible time finding a 9 passenger in England only 7 which will not fit luggage or 15!
Old May 19th, 2003, 12:31 PM

How are you getting to Bayeux? Why not rent at the airport and drive to Bayeux. I assume you will be returning to Paris at some point so turn it in at Orly (maybe easier than CDG). AutoEurope is a sort of consolidator so you might get Avis or EuropCar (as we did ). They seem to have the best prices in our experience. Don't be fooled by what anyone calls a "station wagon"--tiny but fortunately we were just driving around in it (4 big people) with no luggage. You may need a van to be really comfortable.
Old May 20th, 2003, 10:44 AM
ita

We rented for a week in Dijon-had a Renault Megane (2 people)-from AutoEurope, which was Europecar when we arrived at the gare. Thanks to people on this site, we rented from home and they abided by their policy to match prices when I found a lower one. Our car was deisel and for 800 km. we used only about a tank and a half of fuel at 73cents as opposed to $1.20 for regular fuel. We had absolutely no problem and they inspected our car when it was returned. I would use them again.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 08:00 PM

In answer to your question Lauren, we rented from Hertz in Italy and dropped it off in Switzerland, we were told by the man at Hertz in Rome that he would not charge us a drop off fee as the vehicle needed to be returned to Switzerland anyway, when we got our bill we were charged a drop off fee, (aprox.$65)otherwise we had no problem. We did not mind paying the drop off fee as we were upgraded to a mini van that we enjoyed and had expected to pay a drop off fee.
I have gotten a quote from Hertz and autoeurope for a trip we are taking near the end of Sept. The price for the same amount of time as our trip 2 yrs. ago has more than tripled!

I would appreciate any help on car leasing. Has anyone ever leased a car? What are the details and were you happy with the outcome?