Just back in US from London/Scotland trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! We had a great trip! Thank you for everyone that helped me with advise and tips.

Carolyn, Edinburgh was lovely. We enjoyed your city!

The highlight of the 8 day trip (9 due to a most unfortunate flight delay on return end) was a bus tour we took to St Andrews. I booked online 2 days before and was nervous about it. It was great, we had a wonderful tour guide/driver and he allowed us to stop and take pictures along the way. So it was more than a golf trip, the fish and chips we had on the way home were the best we have ever eaten!

We have crossed London off the list. We did hit most of the top sights but the crowds were too much for us. Our favorite there was the bus tour, it was worth the money!

We had great weather and another highlight was the train ride from Kings Cross to Waverly station. It was very comfortable and we enjoyed seeing the countryside.

THings I would change:
Be very careful about renting apartments without exact address. Ours in London was nice inside but a big scary location wise. Would not do that again!!

The flight home was a spiralling event of bad troubles. Next trip we will be taking the very earliest flight avaiable so that we will have all day to make other arrangements if there are delays. We arrived home a day late and exhausted...not a good end to a wonderful trip!

Old May 30th, 2008, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the report..

Please let us know the exact location of your apartment and what scared you about the location; it might help someone.

Did you see anybody wearing shorts???
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Hi Joe - so glad you had a nice time here ! Are you going to do a fuller trip report ? I'm sure we are all keen to know all the places you stayed & what you thought of them, where you ate, which company ran your tour to St Andrew's, etc.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Yes, please share. I'd be interested in all what Caroline listed and more.
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
joebear: Glad that you enjoyed Edinburgh. As for London - big cities aren't for everybody.

I remember all your planning threads - but don't recall any asking about renting a flat. Where was it and who did you rent from?
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

We rented one both places. In London it was presented as being near the Marble Arch....a bit nearer would have been better I think now. I should have done more investigation and posted the address for fodor help...I am new to Fodors talk so I was not really up on how helpful it can be...I will know next time.

The flat in Edinburgh was wonderful, better than expected and super location!

Thanks for the golf tips! My son really enjoyed being at St Andrews and played a couple of course while we were in Edinburgh. Decided to lug the clubs which was no extra expense and not that much extra trouble...would do that again.

I agree .... we are not big city people so I should have factored that in a bit better...All in all for the first time abroad with our family it was a wonderful trip!

Old May 30th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

I need to study how to do a trip report....when I am up on my rest I will post one.

We used Scotline tours for the St Andrews trip....they are located on High street. I booked by phone, small group 11 of us...The highlight was a great tour guide....he added alot more than what was listed...and stopped for scenic pictures. The kids loved it, he talked nonstop and we learned tons along the way.

Our best meal was at Browns...it was great and good value for the money.

I noticed I spelled your name wrong Caroline, I apologize.

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:33 AM

Not at all, Joe - I'm used to it ! Looking forward to hearing more when you are ready.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Our self catering flat was wonderful, had a view of the castle, comfortable beds, large rooms, bookshelf of books...
I read 44 Scotland Street while I was there by Alexander McCall Smith. I had read some other titles but had not come across this one before. Since I have been home I am reading The Sunday Philosophy Club, has more meaning since I can picture the setting... Do you reccomend any more Scottish authors?
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Have you read Ian Rankin's Rebus series?
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

No I haven't but I will check those out right away. Thank you!

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 03:19 PM

If you like mystery/detective novels, check out Stuart MacBride's series set in Aberdeen. In fact, if you like mysteries, you must go to stopyourekillingme.com. You can look up books by locale. Tons in Scotland.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Curious which bus tour you liked in London...the Big Bus, Original Bus, or ?
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Ian Rankin's series about Inspector Rebus are great and are set in Edinburgh.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Next time I'll learn to read other posts more carefully before I go redundant.....
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

We did the Big Bus tour....the guide when we first got on made it so interesting...big plus. Never could find him again after hopping off for the changing of the guards. Our kids liked sitting uptop....WE wished it was more affordable so we could have done 2 days.

Old Jun 9th, 2008, 03:13 AM

Your Edinburgh apartment sunds greatr Joe - where was it, the 'ABC' one on Johnstone Terrace ?

I love the 44 Scotland Street books - there are now I think 4 out in paperback. They are so exactly about what it's like to live in Edinburgh.

The last Kate Atkinson 'One Good turn' was set in Edinburgh (she lives here too) & I really enjoyed it.

Can't think of any other Edinburgh-based authors I particularly like, but for Glasgow I recommend Denise Mina (except 'Tamburlaine Must Die'.

Oh - and Christpher Brookmyre - quite dark thrillers but also very funny ! Most are set here.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

We stayed on the top floor which is Flat 2, it has 2 bedrooms. One of the nicest places I have ever rented by owner...would love to back, it was so relaxing...The guest book was filled with nice comments.

www.21hanoverstreet.co.uk/twentyone-two.asp

Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:16 AM

What a fantastic location, Joe - must remember that.