Just back from two weeks in Croatia!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, many thanks for all the help received in planning our trip to Croatia! We had a wonderful time. We stayed in Split, Hvar, Korcula, Dubrovnik (day tripped to Montenegro), Trogir, Plitvice and Istria. Would be happy to share and answer any questions regarding our trip. Took the catamaran between the islands, rented a car in Dubrovnik and drove up the Dalmatian coast. What a beautiful, clean and friendly country! Sasi
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:20 PM

sasi,
So glad you had a good time!

We loved our Croatia trip last yr and sounds like you did too.

I am sure people will want a full report, so if you are up to to it, go for it!
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Sasi, I'd like to know where you stayed in Hvar and Korcula. Were you in the old towns or in outskirts? Did you stay in Trogir or day trip from Split?

Also, what were your favorite eating places? Glad you had a great time. Thanks for answering questions.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Sasi,
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! We are off to Croatia in September. How did you like Split? Trogir? Did you take a detour to the Roman ruins of Salona, on the way to Trogir? How was Dubrovnik? Did you visit Montenegro independently or via a tour?
Did you use mostly Kuna or Euros? Any particular "not to be missed" sights you would recommend?
Thanks.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 02:15 PM

So glad you had a great time! We were there in November and Croatia and Montenegro were fantastic enough that DH and I are seriously contemplating returning next year. I too would love to read a full report if your up for the challenge!

Tracy
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Not sure if I will get to a trip report, but hope so! To answer a few questions: We stayed in a sobe in Hvar and Korcula. The one in Hvar was quite a walk from the main square (15 min.) but we had an apartment with a kitchen and really liked our hostess. Email is [email protected] I probably would stay closer to the harbor next time. Wonderful restaurant was Konoba Menego www.menego.hr Everything is homegrown and homemade, from the wine to the prsuet. Delicious.
It was Hvar Towns "saint" day, St. Stephen so there were tables with free food, music, wonderful. We were there two days.
In Korcula we stayed in a sobe, email:
[email protected] It was in easy walking distance to main square, but not actually in old town. Would recommend it.
We loved Split, stayed at B&B Kastel 1700, nice and clean and right on the "Riva" (water). www.kastelsplit.com Loved the "Green Market", wonderful flowers, produce, etc. When we were in Trogir, we stayed at a sobe: www.villa-pape.com It was quite new and nice, but out-of-the way from the old town. We had a car but I would stay in town next time. Our hostess was absolutely wonderful, tho. Had the best breakfast on the trip there. Did not stop for Roman ruins (have seens lots in Italy!).
Loved Dubrovnik, stayed at Suite Kashe, an apartment with two bedrooms, kitchen/living room. It was located above a restaurant "Poklisar" which was excellent. It is right on the Old Harbor, just outside the wall. Website for Suite Kashe is: http://www.dubrovnikconcierge.com/pa...ommodation.htm Loved Dubrovnik, sidewalk cafes, cappacinos(!), walking the walls, visiting Buza Bar (there are two now, liked the old one, which is higher up, better than the "new" one. Be sure and seek it out (ask anyone)!
We drove to Montenegro, no problems at all. The road around the fiord is really narrow but it wasn't too busy while we were there. We ate at a wonderful place for lunch, but don't have the name handy...will post it later as it was unbeliveably beautiful!

Re: Kuna vs. Euro....we used kuna always. The bills look very much the same, be sure to put your euros away or you could mix them up!

We had very warm weather while there...85-90 degrees! Hope this answers a few questions! Sasi

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Hi Sasi....We're hoping to be in Croatia in mid-to- late May of next year. Did you find that the tourism infrastructure was fully open for business, or is mid-to- late May still the slow season? Also, did you get much rain in late May? Do you think that mid September would have less rain?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Hi Martaq, May is a great time to visit Croatia! It is still a little quiet, everything is open and the weather was great. We had NO rain and warm temps. I don't know about September! And, prices are still lower as it is not high season. Go for it! Sasi
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:06 PM

Thanks for the helpful reply sasi. I will continue to plan for next May in Croatia.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Hi, Thank you for the report! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I was wondering, did you stay overnight in Plitvice? We have a free day/night and are thinking of spending it there on our way to Zagreb. Any advice would be very welcome!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi Becnsteve, Yes, we did stay in Plitvice, actually two nights. We drove from Trogir up the coast, visited Zadar (great town) and had lunch and arrived in Plitvice in the afternoon. Stayed in a sobe (we had made all our reservations ahead of time due to the fact there were two couples all over 70!) There are lots of sobes, you would not need to make a reservation ahead of time. We actually spent a full day in the Park, it is so beautiful. Any more questions, let me know. Sasi
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 11:29 PM

Hi Sasi, Great report. We are planning a trip to Croatia also in May 2008. We would like to fly into Dubrovnik & then go to Split via Hvar if possible. I believe the ferries aren't on full schedule then. Did you have any problems getting to Hvar? We would like to stay overnight in Hvar Town. We are then off to the Greek Islands & it seems that we will have to fly to Athens via Rome. The connections for this flight are better from Split I believe. It's great to hear the weather was good at that time of the year.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi Trumps,

We flew into Split and spent the night there. The next day we took the catamaran to Hvar. It does not go every day, but worked for us. It's the Krilo. The ferry goes every day I believe, however, it goes into Stari Grad (bigger port) and then you have to take a bus or ? to Hvar Town. We loved Hvar, the area around the harbor is delightful. We stayed about a 15 minute walk to town, would stay closer next time! It was an uphill walk to get home. We went the opposite direction...from Split to Korcula to Dubrovnik. No cataraman from Korcula to Dubrovnik, but there is a bus, it's quite a ride! Very inexpensive and pretty countryside, about 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Let me know if you have more questions. Sasi
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi sasi, Did you go to Rovinj? We will be there next year. Thanks.

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 11:25 AM

Thanks so much sasi for your report! We were in Croatia last summer and just loved it.

An answer for this question:
Did you take a detour to the Roman ruins of Salona, on the way to Trogir?

We did go to these ruins last summer. They are just average, and really weren't worth the detour in our opinion. It was also very, very hot on the grounds, with virtually no shade, and you need to walk quite a bit to see them.

As far as staying closer to Hvar Harbor, the problem is that there aren't alot of sobe's there. If anyone knows of some, I'd love to have the information!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Hi Sasi
I am staying at the same apartment as you in Hvar next week -sounds like I will be getting plenty of exercise. I would be interested to hear about your travel from Hvar to Korcula. We are travelling to Korcula on a Friday. Did you take a catamaran from Hvar Town to Korcula Town direct? I would be interested to know whether we need to use any buses at either end of this route. Thanks, Anne
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 05:33 AM

Hi Sasi,

Sounds like you've had a great time!

I'm planning a trip for a week to Croatia at the end of this month (i know it's peak season =&lt

I'm flying in Dubrovnik on Sunday night and have booked at the Hilton for 2 nights so far. The rest of the trip still needs to be planned.. Monday to Friday/Sat. I would want to see as much as possible, day excursions, scuba diving, biking, etc. I need to make it back to Munich by Saturday and am open about how to get there, plane, train, bus, etc. Any suggestions? thanks!

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM

Yversace:

I would recommend cycling on Korcula -- though the little towns are not that much (Rascise... to the right side of Korcula is about 7 - 10 km? maybe longer -- not much traffic, a few small grades, but doooo take water. Kineze did not come soon enough for us to have a beer. Nonetheless, lots of spots to stop for a dip in the crystal clear waters. Biking the other side to Lombarda is a bit more challenging but only for a little while....

Apartment Val about 5 km from town, towards lombarda on small bay... Tony and Maya, wonderful hosts... beautfiul little view on small islands, and bay, and then also looking towards the majestic mountainous peninsula. Superb sunsets from their little terrace (and from ours). We didn't stay at their place, cause I lost my reservation, long story... Everybody who stays there, wants to stay longer.... If you book, stay in contact! Anyway, Tony's neighbor had a fine apartment, separate kitchen, nice little terrace looking to the bay, no a/c, tiny bathroom, but more than adequate! (Mara's place?) Tony and Maya at Apartment Val invited us to use their bikes, and their boat! which we took to the little islands. They also prepared one of my favorite meals one night.. we shared their terrace with the other guests... candlelight, quiet, and superb.

The bikes for a full day, the boat for 2 plus hours, and the full dinner cost us about $115 US dollars; the apartment was 50 euros a night. We were there for 2 nights, a total of 48 hours -- It felt like forever because it was so good in Korcula.

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 02:31 PM

ttt
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:14 AM

Hi Sasi,
Thanks for the advice it has given me a few things to work on at least I have plenty of time. Really want to visit Hvar now. I'm sure will work it out even if we travel up to Split & then across to Hvar & back to Split to fly out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -