Just back from Rome: quick thoughts

May 30th, 2002, 07:00 AM
lee

Just back from Rome: quick thoughts

Just got back Monday night from a great 12 night stay in Rome. I hope to have a detailed trip report posted in a week or 2, but here are some immediate thoughts.
1. Every single Italian we met was gracious and helpful. Anytime we stood around looking stupid and lost (which happened a good bit) someone would approach us and offer their help. Whenever we asked for help it was given gladly. I was very impressed with the people.
2. The gelato is great everywhere but our favorite was a place two blocks down St Agnes street off Piazza Navone called Quinta (sp). Huge delicious servings!
3. Our day visit to Ostia Antica was fantastic. We spent 7 hours running all over the place. It's also VERY easy to get to.
4. We arrived at both the Borghese Gallery and Nero's Golden House without reservations but got in. Nero's house was a 20 minute wait, the Borghese, 4 hours. Both places are outstanding and well worth the trouble.
5. Really loved Trevi, Pantheon and Navone. Did not like the Spanish Steps. Too many people moving around in to many directions.
6. Best meal (not the best food): McDonald's in front of the Pantheon. Just sitting there directly across from the Pantheon watching the sun glisten off the dome with the rest of the square in darkness was worth the whole trip.
7. No problems with gypsies or crime. Lot of police around. Felt safe everywhere. A little uncomfortble in certain areas of Testeverde. Lots of homeless young adult males washing themselves in public fountains and very aggressive in panhandling.
8. Taxi drivers are insane. Going 170 kph on the way to the airport! I will never again accuse Atlanta drivers of being crazy.
9. Real international flavor to the city with tourists from all over the world. All having a good time.
10. One real disappointment in Rome was the amount of grafitti all over the city. At least it was written in several languages so we were able to read a good bit of it.
11. Carry tissue with you everywhere. Few toilets have paper in them after 12:00.
12. The gelato is great!
Hope to post a full report shortly.

May 30th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Dayle

Hey Lee! Great observations & so true! However, you should be flogged for eating at McDonald's while in Italy!

Tell us more when you've recovered from your jot lag...

May 30th, 2002, 09:38 PM
Susan

Dayle -
I agree that it was a great report. I disagreee about McDonald's. We never eat there in the U.S. but enjoyed the one in the Republica (lots of salads and a wonderful outdoor historic setting). Don't knock it till you've tried it.

May 31st, 2002, 11:46 AM
Robert

All true. I have just come back from a beautiful trip to Italy, and Rome is absolutely the most beautiful city! I and my children had some unforgettable guided tours with www.romaculta.it. I'll never forget Massimiliano, our friedly guide of Rome. Highly recommended.

Jul 6th, 2002, 10:48 AM
chris

i have to reply to lee about mcdonalds. while traveling thru majorica (sp?), we were so tired of olives, cheese and cigaretts, we went into a mcdonalds. although the non-smoking area was in the kids area (not big kid peolpe) we happily enjoyed our french fries, beer and no smoke. i don't go to mcdonalds at home, but it saved me that day!!!

Jul 6th, 2002, 01:02 PM
dan

I ate so much pizza,pasta and wine that I had to have a hamburger and milk.
I think Mcdonalds uses a tougher grade of meat, but it was soothing to my stomach.Italians are OK but too style concious.