Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Just back from honeymoon in Mallorca and Barcelona

Old Oct 9th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, everyone! My new husband and I just got back from our Spanish honeymoon last night and had a fabulous time! Here's a brief summary...

Mallorca - We based ourselves in Palma and stayed in the Hotel Saratoga on Passeig de Mallorca, which we highly recommend it. We paid I think about 130 euros per night, which included a wonderful buffet breakfast. The location was great - easy walking distance to the cathedral, the old town and the waterfront. I highly recommned renting a car. We had one for our whole time in Mallorca, which made for easy daytrips to all corners of the island. The only problem with renting a car, though, is trying to find parking in Palma. There were one or two times where we literally drove around for an hour looking for a spot that wouldn't cost us an arm and a leg. Incidentally, parking on the street only costs money within the central part of the city. (If a parking spot has blue lines around it, you gotta pay.) Get a city map at a tourist office. The maps clearly outline where you have to pay for parking and where you don't.

Our favorite daytrip was driving up the northwest coast to the Cap de Formentor. Absolutely stunning! The drive was harrowing, with very tight twisty roads that lead out to a lighthouse on the tip of the island. It's just gorgeous, and there are a bunch of little turnoffs along the road where you can stop the car to take some pics. After all the driving, we stopped at the Platja de Formentor (the beach) for a few hours of sun. Delightful!

A few restaurants in Palma that we really enjoyed: Baisakhi Indian Restaurant on Passeig Maritim serves the best Indian food we ever had. There's a set menu for everything, including the wine. They do two seatings a night - at 8 and 11. We had to make a reservation to get a seat.

Another place we really enjoyed was Casa Eduardo above the fishmarket. The seafood could not have been fresher. We had paella, which I thought was a teeny bit oversalted, but I'll still recommend it. The atmosphere and the overall experience were great!

Onto Barcelona... We stayed in the AC Diplomatic on Pau Claris, just a block off Passeig de Gracia. Wonderful location, very stylish hotel! We payed about 170 a night, I think.

There is so much to do in Barcelona that we made a pact to not kill ourselves trying to see it all, and instead just relax and enjoy our honeymoon. We spent a lot of time just strolling arm in arm through different parts of the city. Las Ramblas was nice, but a little over-touristy. We loved the Eixample, the area where our hotel was. It has a very uptown feel, with lots of very fashionable stores and interesting Gaudi architecture. We loved the Sagrade Familia and the Casa Mila, but our favorite Gaudi site was the Parc Guell - we were totally enchanted by this place! Our guidebooks said surprisingly little about it, but it's totally worth a visit.

A word about museums in Barcelona... Tourist offices sell a guide to the city's museums for 1 euro. We bought one at the airport and are so glad we did - it lists all the days when certain museums are free. For example, the Picasso Museum is free the first Sunday of the month, and the Modern Art Museum is free the first Thursday. We were able to take advantage of both of these free days. In fact, I think most of the museums offer at least one free day a month.

We ate lots of interesting things in Barcelona, but we especially loved pintxos, which are little bite-sized snacks on a piece of bread. They are held together with a toothpick and usually cost about 1 euro each. They are set out at the bar, you take as many as you'd like, and they just count up the toothpicks on your plate when you are ready to go. Our favorite place for pintxos was Vox Populi in the Placa de Santa Maria.

Some other restaurants we liked: Acalia at Carrer de Rosello 97 in the Eixample. This is just a cute little boutique-style restaurant that we happened to stumble upon. Good food, good atmosphere, and good menu of the night deal. Another good place was Gaucho's Argentinian Restaurant at Carrer de Aragon 235, also in the Eixample. We had huge, tasty steaks - yum!

If you are looking for an affordable meal, look for menus of the day/night. Lots of restaurants offer these deals where you pay a set price for a three-course meal with bread and a drink. They are usually a good deal for a good amount of food.

That's about all I can think of to write about right now. My body may be back on the East Coast of the U.S., but my internal clock still thinks I'm in Barcelona... I'd be happy to try to answer any questions. Thanks for reading!
Old Oct 10th, 2003, 07:48 PM

Congratulations and thank you for the delighful trip report. So glad you had a great time. I agree completely about Parc Guell--it's really enchanting.

I've considered going to Mallorca and wanted to ask a few questions...
how would you say it compares to Barcelona?
How did you get there? About how much was the cost?

Thanks again for taking the time to report.
Old Oct 11th, 2003, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi, artlover! We flew from Barcelona to Palma de Mallorca on Spanair. I cannot for the life of me remember exactly how much we paid for our tickets, but I know it wasn't much at all - well under US$100 per person roundtrip. Iberian also offered similar fares at the time we booked our trip. There are a lot of flights connecting Mallorca to major Spanish cities, as well as other major cities throughout Europe. We saw a lot of flights from London and a bunch of different German cities, to cater to all the British and German tourists there. It's an easy flight from Barcelona - just about 30 minutes flying time.

Palma de Mallorca is the only city on the island that would come even close to comparing to Barcelona. Palma is actually a pretty big city - well, not nearly as big as Barcelona, but still pretty big in its own right. There is a whole lot of nightlife in Palma - lots of clubs, if that's your thing. (It's not ours - we didn't go to any, but the club scene seems pretty hopping there.) There are lots of restaurants, a huge Gothic cathedral, several museums, a castle with incredible views of the city, great shopping... We really enjoyed Palma, and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys big cities on a small scale. (Does that make any sense whatsoever?)

Old Oct 11th, 2003, 10:35 AM

Meredith...Thanks for sharing. Your report brought many lovely memories for me. We were in Barcelona and Mallorca a year ago in October and had experiences similar to yours. Did you go to Monserrat while in Barcelona?