Reload this Page >

Just back from 6 wk trip to Europe-My hotel ratings

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:37 AM
Jim

Just returned from 6 week trip to France and Italy. Thought I might share my thoughts and ratings for the hotels we used.<BR>I’m not going to go thru about what to see and where to eat- I think this has been covered extensively on this board.<BR><BR>Hotel Muguet- Paris- 10 Everything about this hotel was great<BR>Hotel St. Vincent- Nuits St. Georges-8 Excellent restaurant/food- Logis de France Hotel<BR>Mas du Magnolia- Menerbes-10 Excellent hosts with great location below Menerebes<BR>Hotel Pontinere-St. Raphael (Bolouris)- 9 Logis de France Hotel with excellent food<BR>Villa Gnocchi- Santa Margherita Ligure-10 Can’t say enough about Roberto’s hidden gem. <BR>La Cappuccina- San Gimignano-9 Spacious grounds, pool, excellent location.<BR>Hotel Posta Marcucci- Bagno Vignoni-9<BR>Hotel Giotto- Assisi-10 Excellent food/location<BR>Hotel de’ Capuleti- Verona-8 Great location<BR>Hotel Locanda Martini-Venice-10 Another hidden gem-great price/location/hosts<BR>Hotel Cavallino d Oro-Castelrotto-10 Very good restaurant-excellent location<BR>Hotel Orta- Orta San Giulio-9 Very good restaurant/location if you like regional food<BR>Hotel Floreal- Vence- Only disappointment of trip—Logis de France hotel.<BR>Hotel Novetel- Nice-8 Great overnight near airport for flying out the next morning-better than average restaurant.<BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 05:05 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Great trip Jim--thanks for the feedback.<BR>I have stayed in 3 of those--you chose well. I envy your 6 week adventure.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:13 AM
xxx

In my opinion, it is a thumbs down to Villa Gnocchi. <BR><BR>It was a little too hidden for my taste - access from the main road down the hillside driveway was difficult - room for one car only. I read somewhere that Villa Gnocchi was a 10 minute walk to town - definitely not. And neither did we see the spectacular views of SML which was quite a ways from the B and B. <BR><BR>In my opinion, Villa Gnocchi is definitely not a 10 - hidden, yes, but not a gem to me.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 12:47 PM
Sue

I have stayed at the villa Gnocchi twice and would do it again. Our view was wonderful as well as that on the deck having dinner.<BR>The hillside drive to the villa is single lane-but when have wide streets been the norm in Europe? The walk down the path to town is about 15-20 minutes.<BR>Never claimed to be 10 minutes.<BR>We have also stayed at Hotel Giotto in Assisi and agree with JIm.<BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:25 AM
Margo

We too have stayed at Villa Gnocchi and enjoyed it so much. Much more personable than a hotel--true Italy. Didn't walk into town but did drive to Portofino, took the ferry to San Fruttuoso, and walked back to Portofino along the cliff edge. Now there was a really good walk.<BR>Also stayed 4 days in Castelrotto at Hotel Cavallino d Oro and enjoyed that too. Was there just after the Trade Center bombing and the Italians there were so kind. The rooms there were quite variable, some much larger than others but all clean and comfortable.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:24 PM
Jim

To Sue and Margo<BR>It was never my intention to defend my thoughts/ratings about the hotels that we used during our recent 6 week trip. I do, however, appreciate your comments.<BR>My wife and I have gone to Europe every other year since I took early retirement in 1987.<BR>We go for 5 to 6 weeks at a time and live to do it time and again.<BR>We really don't have an axe to grind.