Just back and ready to answer questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just back from 21/2 weeks...first on the Amalfi coast and then in tuscany. We used Sorrento Limo to take us to our hotel in Naples and the service was great. I agree with many posts, than unless you really get to know Naples, it can be skipped. Our hotel was fine (Parteno) and we never felt threatened..just a busy, kind of dirty city. Then to Sorrento by train with a stop in Pompei. We stayed at Settimo Cielo and loved Sorrento. We did a day trip to Capri. We stayed for 2 nights and then left luggage there and packed a few things and took the SETA bus to Amalfi and another bus to Ravello where we stayed for two wonderful nights. Back to Sorrento and picked up a car rental (AVIS). Drove to Paestra ruins which were off the beaten track but really amazing. Left there and headed for our Villa in Tuscany. Got as far a Tivoli. Spent the next week in Tuscany, visiting Florence, Sienna, Cortona and Moltipulciano. Incredible and amazing. Finally returned the car to Orvieto and took train to Rome. (Hotel Aberdeen). 2 nights then home. this is the short version I got so much help from this sight that I would be happy to give back any tips anyone might want.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 07:35 AM

I'm packing right now for a trip to Italy, and I know you need to cover shoulders and knees in churches --is there anywhere you can wear shorts, or should I just stick with pants and dresses? I also have teenage kids... same rules apply to them? Or is their dress okay if it's informal (except in the churches, of course.) Do they wear denim over there? I just don't want to pack a bunch of clothes that won't be appropriate--thanks!
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 07:55 AM

One of the best articles of clothing for travel ever invented is the convertible pants. The bottoms zip off and on. Wear them as pants to go into the churches and then zip off the bottoms and you have shorts! Try the catalog for Travel Smith or Paragon Sports.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 02:14 PM

what is the best way to get around the amalfi coast? i'll be docking in naples for one day off a cruise ship and really want to drive a bit of the amalfi coast.. as well as do pompeii.

possibly stopping in sorrento as well.

would hiring a driver or do a taxi to drive the amalfi coast be better? this is for 5 people
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 03:57 AM

It sounds like you had a wonderful time. We will be in Rome for one day. Should we tour ourselves or take a guided tour (from the cruise ship). What are the top recommendations. Teens and adults on this trip. Thanks for your tips.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 09:41 AM

Dianne, I would love to hear suggestions on Tuscany area. We are leaving intwo weeks. We have 6 full days there. What towns are a must and what towns should we skip. We are renting a car. How many days do we need in Florence. I should mention our 9, and 11 year olds are with us. Thanks!!!!
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 09:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
To Rayoflight104: If you only have one day in Naples off your cruise, there isn't enough time to see Pompeii and see Sorrento and drive the Amalfi Coast.

You could train to Pompeii, then train to Sorrento and ferry back to Naples, or do the reverse starting with a ferry ride to Sorrento. OR, you could ferry to Sorrento, bus along the coast, return to Sorrento and ferry back to Naples.
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 11:53 PM

ggja: If you want to see the historic sites and really learn something about roman history, then definitely you should take a tour of Rome. With only one day (and in this heat) you run the risk of being totally overwhelmed and exhausted if you try to see many sites on your own.

If you want the condensed tour, I suggest starting with ancient Rome: The Forum, Colosseum, Pantheon, Palatine (or whatever your guide puts together for the ancient sites). Save the Vatican for your next trip (and plan to spend at least 2 days there).

If you just want the flavor of the modern city and don't mind missing the top sites (this time), you should consider skipping the guide and spending the day shopping, eating, and strolling through the Centro Storico.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Hello Dianne and everyone,

A group of 9 of us (8 adults, 1 child) are going to the Amalfi Coast in October. I have contacted Gennaro Ruocco from Sorrento Limo and have found his rates to be substantially lower than several other limo companies. Transfer from Rome to our Villa in Massa Lubrense, 350 euro, full day excursions for 250 euro.. He also confirmed this was the full price with no extras for fuel, tolls or parking. Most of the other companies want 500-550 euro for the transfers and 400 per full day excursions.. I understand you have used them, and am looking for feedback and confirmation of these rates.. All replies would be appreciated..

Dan
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 11:03 AM

Dianne; I am leaving one week from today for 10 days in Rome, Florence and Sorrento....any great shopping places or deals in Sorrento I should be looking for?????
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Dan, a group of us just used Gennaro at Sorrento limo last month. Great guy, you'll enjoy your time with him.

Mark
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:36 PM

My husband and I are planning a long-overdue honeymoon to Tuscany. We'd like to stay at the same place for the duration of the trip (about 10 days), but we cannot decide which region to stay in. We're pretty decided that we'd like to try a farmstay/agriturismo. So far we are leaning towards Central Tuscany, but I'm worried that many other people do the same. Are there many tourists in the towns of Central Tuscany? We'd like to avoid tourists and crowds. Where was your villa?

Can you recommend a good town in Central Tuscany that has cute cafes, restaurants, and frequent food markets (farmers markets)?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 08:43 AM

Sounds like you had fun. A group of us are going to be in Rome and on the Amalfi Coast for 5 days. Could you let me know of a couple of reasonable places to stay, and prices, and the best way to get around.
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Dianne:
We will be traveling to Tuscany in Sept.We have rented a house and will have a car.I will be traveling with my elderly parents.In towns like Cortona & Montepulciano is it possible to park reasonably close to center of town.Parents are in fair shape but may not be up to very long walks.
Thanks for any help,
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 01:06 PM
dln

Dianne, when you were in Capri, did you go to the Blue Grotto?

Old Jun 25th, 2003, 03:50 PM

From my 4 times to Italy and going back in Oct. when someone quotes you a price in Italy and says this is the final price be sure you get it in writing and others hear it. What they say about prices you can take with a grain of salt. They will quote you anything to get your business and then double it when you get ready to pay. This sounds like racial profileing but has happened to me many times. Buck
Old Jun 25th, 2003, 05:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Dianne, are you ready yet????? It seems many people do have questions.