COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Attire for Amalfi Coast in Early May

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Attire for Amalfi Coast in Early May

Four couples are heading to the Amalfi Coast in early May and let me be the one who asks the question we all like to make fun of on this Forum: What clothes should we take? How dressy is the real issue? Sport coats for men in the nicer restaurants, for instance, or not? Is it more of a laid back, but still chic, kind of place?
Thank you all. (And try to go easy with your ridicule.)
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:57 AM

I can't speak to the seasonal requirements for dress, but sport coats for men are NOT a requirement. They'd look chic and classy that way, but in no way a requirement. Laid back is a good thing.

KC
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:40 AM

If you will be dining in the top hotels or restaurants a sport coat or leather jacket would be best. The area is laid back, it all depends on where you will be dining. During the day you can wear what you want. I usually wear what I think is chic, lol.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Last year in June my husband schlepped a sport coat all over Italy and never used it once. Positano is a beach community so very informal, unless you are planning on impressing the folks at Le Sireneuse.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 07:16 AM

There is a lot of fashionista competition in the Amalfi, with new brides and others sporting their latest designer label clothes and footwear. That said, the multutudes generally wear practical but comfy garb and are still treated very well. Personally, if I were having dinner in one of the top of the line restaurants -- you know, the $500 dinner tab for two? -- I would dress up.