Reload this Page >

July Accomodations? Rome,Florence, Siena

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2000, 11:20 AM
Jackie

I am planning a July trip for my husband, myself and a girlfriend. We love architecture, gardens, walking to explore, and eating and drinking. We're in our 40's. We don't want to spend more than 150.00 to 200.00 a night for the three of us (though we could go higher if necessary). I think a rooftop terrace sounds neat, but will it be too hot to enjoy in July? <BR> <BR>Anyone have info on Hotel Gambrinus in Rome? <BR>Rome Bed and Breakfast in Rome? Pendini in Florence? Relais Della Cappucina in Tuscany near San Gimignano? Thanks.

Old May 15th, 2000, 06:43 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Jackie <BR>Have not stayed at any of the hotels <BR>you list, however a very good source <BR>for IT hotel information can be found <BR>on: www.italyhotels.it/....www,hotelguide.ch/and www.venere.it/ <BR>Good surfing, Richard of La Grange Park, Il...

Old May 16th, 2000, 06:11 AM
AMG

Jackie <BR> <BR>I have not heard of the hotels you listed but styed in nice triple rooms in the following hotels in Rome and Florence last year. Both hotels have AC and noise reducing windows ( a good night sleep makes the days alot more fun) <BR>In Florence we stayed at the Hotel Argentina (www.hotelargentina.it)It is about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the Duomo and a block from the River. We paid L295,000 (approx $160) This includes breakfast. <BR> <BR>In Rome we stayed at Hotel della Torre Argentina (www.ase.net) The location is very central a 20 minute walk to the Vatican and 5 to Campo Fioro and P. Farnesse (sorry for the spelling) and the Pantheon. The cost was L420,000 ($230) but they usually have discounts in July and August. The rate also includes breakfast. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR> <BR>

Old May 17th, 2000, 03:05 PM
Ken

I would skip ROME. The Jubilee will make it quite hard to get a $100 room like mine booked months ago. Florence would be great I hear.

Old May 18th, 2000, 09:18 AM
Jackie

Thanks for everyone's comments. There's no way I can skip Rome-- though, I have given up the idea of trying to get accomodations for less than $175 for the three of us... One option that seems more economical is to do "B&B" apartments, several available to reserve now. Great locations -- very reasonable rates, though I'm wary if I can't see pictures of the property first. Has anyone gone that route?

Old May 18th, 2000, 01:01 PM
Carol

Hi Jackie, <BR>Try the Domus Julia in Rome, I have heard it is good. Looks good on the web site too. We are staying there at the end of May and they were very helpful. We are paying 250,000 Lira (115usd) for a triple room with breakfast in the B&B. <BR>They also have an hotel next door but the people who stay in the B&B eat breakfast in the hotel. Feel free to mail me when I get home 24th June and I'll let you know about the Julia. Anyway have a look at the url. and good luck : ) <BR>http://www.domusjulia.it

Old May 18th, 2000, 02:55 PM
Carrie

Hi Jackie: <BR>We stayed at the Roma Bed and Breakfast this April. The accomodations were fine. We (our family of 4) stayed in the Chalet, a separate building. My only regret was that we were away from the sites. Within a couple of days, we got the hang of the bus system and it really wasn't that much of a problem. The price was good and that can be a major issue in Rome. I disagree with the recommendation to skip Rome. We did find it crowded and chaotic after a week in Tuscany, but it is well worth it.

Old May 21st, 2000, 08:11 AM
jackie

Dear Carrie: Thanks for the feedback on <BR>the Roma Bed and Breakfast. I spent quite a bit of time trying to locate them on a map, and I too found that I didn't want to be that far from the "major" sites. --- so I was glad to hear your response. Nonetheless, Giancarlo and Myriam at the B&B have been very helpful providing information regarding private apartments and small b&b's in the historic "center" -- We go on to Tuscany for a few days after Florence--deciding we will certainly need the slower pace before returning to the States. Thanks for your reply.

Old May 25th, 2000, 07:43 AM
Jackie

Dear All: I have finally booked a 2 room apartment on the third floor, Residenza San Pantaleon located a few steps from the Piaza Navona. It is very reasonable, is airconditioned and well-furnished to accomodate the three of us. Breakfast is served in the apartment. Total daily rate July 9,10,11,12: Lire 250,000.