July 2009: Need Trip Advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you to all of you who post regularly! I love reading all of your feedback and finally decided to sign up.

My DH and I are trying to plan a 11 day trip to Italy at the end of this July. We are both around 30 and love to travel. Unfortunately, the timing is when the rest of the world is on vacation, but it is our only break from residency. He has never been to Rome and would like to see the city. Should we:

1) Rent an apartment in Rome for a week. Go to Siena for the rest of the time and travel around Tuscany?
2) Rome - Lake Como?
3) Rome - Sorrento?
4) Rome - Sienna - Cinque Terre?
5) Rome - Italian Riveria?

We really could use your advice. Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:51 AM

Rent an apartment in Rome for a week.

Then take a trip to the beautiful Amalfi Coast + Isle of Capri for the relaxing contrast.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:55 AM

Is your 11 days in Italy, or are 2 travel days?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Good point. We'll fly out of RDU on July 19th and return on July 31st. It works out to 2 travel days and 10 days "in country."
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Most flights will leave in the evening and arrive in the early morning. Could you wangle another day by leaving the evening of the 18th? Or do you already have your tickets?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

I don't have our tickets yet...I've been reading so much about all of the wonderful places to go, I haven't been able to finalize such details as where to fly out of/to.

We both would like to spend time getting to know whatever area we visit. I keep having to hold myself back from jumping from city to city. We love wine - so we'd enjoy Tuscany. But, we also really like hiking (Cinque Terre) and beach-going.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 07:45 AM

If you are 7 days in Rome that leaves only 3 days.

One thing to consider...
In Tuscany you would need a car to explore. Not so in CT. Some people would never drive the Amalfi. I did 2x and didnt have problem. You could take the bus there like alot of people on this board has.

You now need to narrow down whether you are going north or south after Rome.

Maybe break it up
Rome 6
Tuscany or Ct or Amalfi 4

Less is always more.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 07:46 AM

With a weekly rate on an apartment, you probably could still come out favorably (budget wise) even if only use the apt for 6 nights. If it makes your plan work better, consider leaving Rome on the 7th day.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Good thoughts. I am not completely hung up on renting an apartment in Rome, either.

Do you think the Amalfi coast will be too crowded? Will Tuscany be too hot??? We definitely need to return for another Italy trip. There is simply too much to enjoy.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:00 PM

Yes the AC will be crowded. But the good news is that there are many ways to escape the crowds. Not so with the heat in Tuscany (and Rome).
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM

I would do Rome and the AC---6 & 4.
Actually, fly into Rome but start on the AC--day one is a killer but better than the dreaded last nite in Rome. Have fun !
I see RDU--I am in CH--what about you?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi quahog,

I've got a different idea [I know that you have started this by talking about Rome, and i got flamed elsewhere for suggesting something that the OP hadn't wanted, but here goes - please take it in the sprit of helpfulness in which it is offered].

Fly to Venice. spend 4 nights there. no need to worry about driving etc. etc.

then pick up car, and drive up into the Dolomites. spend a week walking and enjoying the mountains.

go home happy.

why? Rome in July/Aug will be HOT HOT HOT. for your DH not a very good introduction. Venice has the water and it's relatively easy to escape the crowds by getting on a boat, plus it may not be there to visit for much longer.

then the dolomites are an easy drive, and a perfect summer destination for active people. Rome and the AC will stil be there another time when you can visit at a better time of year.

but if you must, I'd "do" rome first, then get the train to the AC and rent an apartment and relax. 5 days in each [which i know gives you the dreaded last night in Rome but IMO that's preferable to daashing off to the AC a soon as you arrive.

regards, ann
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to be clear, Venice can also have fairly high temps and humidity in July/Aug.
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 05:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Jean, of course you are right, but if Venice is hot, IMO Rome is likely to be hotter!

regards, ann
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 06:41 AM

And both Venice and Florence will be very crowded. Ditto the CT and the AC. Rome too, of course, but it has more room. As does Tuscany. You could look at Umbria as less crowded than Tuscany. Visit Assisi and the towns of Orvieto, Spello, Spoleto, Bevagna, Montefalcone, maybe Gubbio. Like Tuscany, Umbria is best with a car.

If the OP is from North Carolina, she is probably used to hot humid summers.

Quahog, I think your plan #1 is best. And presumedly your first choice. Plus Tuscany is not far from the Rome airport for your return flight.