Help with London - not the usual sighseeing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so we're leaving in less than a week and I've been mulling over our 5-day London itinerary for months -- and we're not excited by it. Relying on a few guide books, and building on other posts here, it is a great itinerary, just not ours. We have learned from past trips to other places that we are far more interested in getting to know the people on the street than the art and artifacts in museums. We feel "obligated" to visit the usual tourist stops - especially because our kids haven't seen them, but really want to spend time in the markets and just walking around and doing things that bring us in touch with Londoners. So I am trying to put together a 5-day plan that would integrate both the requisite sights (e.g. Buckingham Palace, Big Ben etc.) with what we would call "the fun stuff." When we were in Paris, we did all the "essential" sights but remember most the Pompidou Centre, the Sewer Museum, the food halls in Bon Marche, eating amazing bread and cheese from the open markets for lunch and just sitting around in cafes watching the city go by. So I'd like to get some ideas of things we could do, places to visit, that are real experiences rather than exhibits, and ideas for integrating into a 5-day itinerary that would also include some of the basic tourist destinations. We'll be staying near Harrods and prefer to walk when feasible and take buses when available so we can watch the scene as we pass. Any thoughts?
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:59 PM
yk

Borough Market
St James's Park
Covent Garden
Old Hampstead Village walk by the London Walks
Wander around the Inns - Lincoln's Inn, Inner Temple/Middle Temple
Dennis Severs House - esp the candlelight tour
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - the things you mentioned as special/out of the ordinary in Paris are really not "hidden gems" but pretty normal sites/activities for Paris visitors. So I am a bit confused what you actually mean. March in London is generally not "sit in outdoor cafes" weather. yk's list is good - all normal tourist sites but a little on the "more unusual" side. Any of the Parks - though again, you may not have "park weather" while you are there.

People in London will be busy - don't really expect to meet up w/ all sorts of locals.

One thing you can do is visit the Chelsea Hospital (NOT a hospital - http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/ ). If it is a nice afternoon, you will might meet a few of the pensioners -- some of them LOVE to chat folks up.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Original Poster

I guess what I meant is that the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre didn't excite us that much (although we are glad that we saw them) and I imagine we'll feel that way about Buckingham Palace, the British Museum and the Tate. We are from New York City and have our fill of museums and historical sights that we don't go to nearly as much as people assume we do. Maybe one way to describe our interests is to say they lean toward the social rather than cultural or political.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:15 AM

You could perhaps visit Barnes.
It has a thriving farmers market on Saturday from 12-4
The pubs are very popular around Saturday lunch time and you will see many locals there.
Barnes also has a wetland centre, if you are interested in wildlife.
Of course, Barnes locals tend to be people like horny handed television producers etc.
If you want to see real Cockneys, then go to Columbia Road Flower Market on Sunday morning.
See http://www.londontourist.org/markets.html
for how to get to it/
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:03 AM
yk

Regarding British Museum & Tate - it's not like you can see the Rosetta Stone or wall-to-wall British paintings (Tate Britian) or an entire gallery designed to house the Rothko Seagram murals (Tate Modern) at the Met/MOMA in NY... But if you have absolute no interest in art or historical artifacts, then there's no reason to visit any of the museums in London.

However, here are some which I really enjoyed:
Victoria & Albert Museum
Wallace collection (full of French roccoco decorative arts)
Courtauld Gallery (Impressionist paintings)

And when you wrote "historical sights" in NYC, you cannot compare that to London which already existed during the Roman Empire.

If you want some social interaction, the best bet would be join any of the London Walks tours - but you'd be chatting up with other fellow tourists. Londoners aren't particularly interested in talking to strangers (my husband's British cousin from London confirmed that himself).
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:02 AM

I'd add to MissPrism's suggestion Spitalfields market on a Sunday - get to Hyde Park Corner and take the number 8 bus to Shoreditch. You can visit Columbia Road first and then walk (or get a bus) down to Spitalfields. Plenty of options to see people and eat and drink.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM

We enjoyed Spitalfield's on a Sunday, too. Had lunch at Giraffe, quite good. Part of our group went to Petticoat Lane first and were very disappointed.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:33 AM

If I am reading the post correctly, I get the feeling that since they are from New York, they feel they are above the normal tourist sites. Well, why go at all. You can eat cheese and watch the world go by in New York. However, should you dare, you just might give it a chanch and do what London is famous, fantastic museums, great pubs, history from all ages, Anglo, Saxon, Norman, Roman and more. Open your eyes and see what London is all about.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Geez, what a way to give New Yorkers a bad name on this board. I'm one (born, raised, but live in a no income tax state now) and still like seeing the "sights" in other countries regardless of whether they are historically traceable to the Romans or just to a couple of decades ago. Seriously, if you want to experience history without the remote feeling of museums, go visit castles and palaces. I'm sure I can think of about 10 off the top of my head in or within 2 hours of London.

If you want to rub elbows with the natives, follow YK's advice. Janis is right, London is not like France -- the people actually work hard.

And if you REALLY want to get a taste of what the locals are like, get tickets to a football (soccer) match. There are more than a half-dozen teams in the top two English leagues in the London area (Chelsea, Fulham, Charlton, Arsenal, Tottenham, Crystal Palace, W. Ham, Queen's Park Rangers, Watford) and there's a big difference between seeing soccer on TV and football in the stadium where the supporters are going nuts for 2 hours.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Hi
I have recommended this one so often I feel like a broken record. The London Waterbus from Little Venice to Camden Lock (or vice versa) is a pleasant trip in the slow lane. We have done it several times and each time seemed to be the only ones on the boat. The two guys who worked it were happy to talk. The Market at Camden is fun for young people and I believe there is a walk along the canal towpath from Camden Lock to the Canal Museum behind Kings Cross. That would be a bit different.
Whatever, there is a great deal to do in London which does not involve art museums etc.
A ride on the Docklands Light Railway (or by boat) to Greenwich - the Observatory with the meridians and all the maritime history there would be interesting too.

Rosemary
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:53 PM

There are a large number of street markets throughout London. Wiki has an exhaustive list here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_markets_in_London

One might guess that rubbing elbows with the locals is very likely at such venues. Can't vouch for any of these, as I haven't been.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM

<i>The Market at Camden is fun for young people</i>

I'm not young (except "at heart") and I really enjoyed Camden Market (I love markets in general - most recent trip went to Camden, Portobello Road and Spitalfield's....next time Borough and Shepherd)
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Spend one day visiting a castle or palace outside of London. Hampton Court Palace or Windsor Castle would make for a fun day for the whole family and would definitely be something you can't see in the states. The town of Windsor is very small and quaint and fun to walk through.
Not sure what ages your children are, but they'd probably be very amused at the sights and shops in Camden. The artwork on the building fronts is a sight to behold, and the wares in the shops are certainly fun to browse through.
I think all of you would enjoy the Tower of London. It shouldn't be missed. Buckingham Palace and Big Ben are really just a walk-by, so won't take up much time.
I think I understand how you feel, but believe me, you'll end up loving London and wishing you had more time there. It's just a really fun city to visit.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:55 PM

A strong second for the canal trip from Little Venice to Camden. We also enjoyed the Portobello Road Market and having lunch at a pub in the area. If you feel up to a bit more of a trip, check out the races near Cambridge. I don't remember the name of the town, but will look for it, if you are interested. The area is the setting for several of the books by Dick Francis. You would for sure meet locals there. You might also eat in the crypts of some of the churches - very good food and cheap, served by women from the churches. If you need the names of some, I can look them up in my notes.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sassafrass - suspect you mean Newmarket: http://www.newmarketracecourses.co.uk/
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:20 PM

I don't quite understand the personal attacks on the OP (or why some posters feel the need to come on a thread just to give the OP a hard time without adding anything constructive). As I read it, she's saying they don't visit the museums/theaters they have at home so why travel to do so. We don't all enjoy the same things. Nothing wrong with that.

And I do understand your concern, BNMIB. But, as others have said, I think once you get to London and experience the fact that it's a real city, not just museums and historic sites, you'll wind up with some of the same kinds of memories you have of Paris. You've gotten some wonderful recommendations for those kind of "stop and smell the roses" kind of experiences.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:22 PM

I see the preview button is still printing! Wonder if anyone has told the editors?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM

From my observations, in order to meet locals you'll have to get far and away from Oxford Street, Harrod's, and the tourist sites. In my experience, Londoners don't seem to want to socialize with outsiders any more than New Yorkers do. The most elbow-rubbing with London locals we've done has been in small B&B's and nearby pubs out of the center. With only 5 days in London, I would enjoy the tourist sites (centainly different from NYC), eat in a church crypt, attend church services (and afterwards their coffee reception if they have one), go to one of the recommended markets, take a London Walk, see a play, and call it a trip. If you happen to meet up with and converse with a "local" then that's icing on the cake.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Thursdaysd, right you are: Newmarket. Thanks. When we stayed in Cambridge, our English hostess went for the day with friends and invited us. We already had plans, so couldn't go. They had a great time. I've also read some of Francis' books.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -