Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Julie Vikmanis, I'm interested in Isola Comancina.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're staying at the Hotel Florence without a car. Would we be able to dine at the Isola Comancina? With such a high rec from you I hate to miss it. Do they serve lunch?
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Julie, out there anywhere? Or has anyone else tried this restaurant?
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 12:52 AM

First of all here is the link -http://www.comacina.it/en/island.php

I have not read Julie's report but I have eaten there on a number of occasions with the first time about 25 years ago. I think the menu has not changed since!

The food is pretty ordinary by Italian standards but of course the atmosphere is magical especially if you arrive at the island for dinner.

I have always arrived at Sala Comacina by car and taken the boat service across to the island. If I can find out some info for someone who does not have their own transport I will post it.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 03:01 AM

I've read that they are open for lunch in the warm months. You would not need a car.

Hopefully Julie will respond with her first-hand information. She loved the place!
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 03:56 AM

We went to Isola Comacina several years ago so my information is not up-to-date. We went for lunch (later our kids went for dinner, so at least in the past both have been available) I can see why nochblad says the food is pretty ordinary by Italian standards and that's true--but it's extraordinary in its simplicity, freshness and presentation. That's why it was so memorable to me.

The website nochblad provides seems to have great current info and option to reserve on-line. If I'm reading it correctly it shows that you can go from Bellagio to Isola Comacina twice a day during the noon timeframe which should meet your needs perfectly. You might also correspond with your hotel for particulars. The Hotel Florence has wonderful dining (I haven't personally stayed in their rooms but folks I know have and were very happy there.) Enjoy your stay on Lake Como and do try to dine at Isola Comacina. It's quite a unique experience.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Grazie, all. I'm getting excited about this upcoming trip and Isola Comacina seems to provide a unique experience.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 10:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We did go to Isola Comacina, but not to eat. We just hiked the island.

The place that really impressed us in that area was www.alveluu.com

It's in the hills above Tremezzo overlooking the lake. The ambiance, food, and service were all so wonderful we returned for a second outstanding experience a few nights later.

In all of our European travels, this is one of the restaurants that stand out in my mind. We may return to Lake Como one day just to dine there again.

I see that you are staying in Bellagio across the lake from Tremezzo. You would have to check the ferry schedule and I'm not sure if Al Veluu is open for lunch. If so, you'd have to take a taxi from the Tremezzo stop for about a 5 min. drive up in the hills so I don't know if this would be an option for you. If it is a possibility(ask at your hotel), I again highy recommend it.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 10:09 AM

TPAYT - fully agree with you. Excellent food and if the weather is fine for eating out it offers one of the most magnificent views,