Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What is a great Italian restaurant in Newton or Brookline?

Old Feb 17th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomorrow for lunch we are celebrating my sister's 59th Birthday. She is here from out of state visiting. She would like a great Italian meal and would have loved to go into the North End, it just won't work out because my 91 yr. old Dad just had eye surgery and it will be too much for him to travel into the city.

Does anyone know of Fiorella's on North Street in Newtonville? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are looking for meals, not pizza. Thanks very much! It would be nice if it had a relaxing atmosphere, not too loud and cramped.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 03:28 PM

I'm likely too late to help, but I can provide a little info.

For sit-down Italian spots -- am assuming pizza spots aren't what you want:

--in Newton. Have never been to Fiorella's, so can't comment here. Appetito and Tartufo are in Newton Centre about a block from each other -- went to both for lunch a while ago, and thought both were perfectly fine options.

--in Brookline. Have been to Pomodoro in Brookline Village and thought it was fine. Have only been to La Morra, not far from Brookline Village, for brunch and was not impressed, though there are several Chowhound sorts who like their Italian evening menu very much.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
yk

I actually have been to Fiorella's. I think it's pretty good - esp for its price! If I have to choose between Fiorella & Appetito, I'd pick Fiorella as the food is better.

I've only been to those 2 for dinner. Fiorella gets pretty crowded on weekend nights; but I think you'd be fine at lunch.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 08:26 PM
yk

P.S. I think Vecchia Roma in Nonantum neighborhood of Newton gets decent reviews, but I haven't eaten there. (and not sure if it's open for lunch).

OOoops, just noticed that the OP was over a week ago. Where did you end up going for lunch for your sister's birthday?
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

I am sorry I didn't bother checking back after my sister's birthday. We went to Fiorella's in Newtonville and it was perfect. All of us loved our meals, the service was attentive and friendly. My sister was thrilled. I haven't seen my father eat such a hardy meal in a long time. The goat cheese and glazed walnut salad was wonderful, the eggplant parmesan was done perfectly, not too breaded or greasy but firm enough. I had the Salmon Lemoncello and it was superb. I will definitely return. It seemed like a real hidden gem.

I also learned they have a Birthday club; if you sign up ahead of time you can get a free meal on your birthday.

Thanks for the other suggestions.