Julia Childs R.I.P.

Search

Julia Childs R.I.P.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Julia Childs R.I.P.

A woman who taught Americans to appreciate French cooking.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
She was the American Queen of the French Cuisine..

May She Rest in Peace..
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:53 AM

I actually had the pleasure of meeting her at a cookbook event, and she was very charming. She never learned to cook until she traveled, BTW, said her own mother's entire repetoire of culinary skills consisted of baking powder biscuits, codfish balls and Welsh rarebit! Julia's horizons were expanded when she met the man who became her husband, and he was quite the chef and gourmand in his own right.

Julia, there's no cholesterol or calories in heaven, and each meal is exactly how you want it. Rest in peace, and bon appetite!

BC
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Aww, I am sad She would have had her birthday this Sunday too.
I really liked her.
Rest in Peace, Julia~
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:56 AM

She was one of a kind. She literally taught me to cook (through her books), to love food and to love France. Bon Appetite, Julia - we'll miss you!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 07:57 AM

I've always admired her greatly. Even more so after I read her biography. She led an interesting, full life. She'll be missed.

~Liz
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Julia Child was one of a kind and will be greatly missed. I remember seeing her in the basement of the San Francisco Opera House one time; first we heard her voice as she came down the stairs, and as she appeared the entire room became hushed in awe.

Everything I know about French cooking came from Julia Child, and I treasure the letter I received from her in response to one I wrote.

She was truly a great lady.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:09 AM

First there was the French Chef then came the Food Network. Trailblazer.
And still humble to the end. My favorite show was when a couple of years ago Wolfgang Puck cooked her dinner in her Apartment.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:11 AM

Although I have always loved to cook and learned to cook southern-style from my mother and grandmother, it was through Julia that I expanded my culinary horizons.

I actually have my cooy of JULIA AND JACQUES COOKING AT HOME on my desk now.

She will indeed be missed.

Byrd
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
http://americanhistory.si.edu/juliachild/
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:53 AM

A shame she couldn't have gone up against one of the Iron Chefs.

Now THAT would have been a battle.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 08:56 AM

I remember seeing her in the 60's on PBS, in black and white...and I'd go try to cook...she was my inspiration, as well.

Loved you Julia...and thank you.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 09:08 AM

The NYTimes 4-page tribute obit is wonderful. What an ambassador and bonne vivante !
An American original.

ps -- her kitchen in the Museum of American History is the single best exhibit in the whole bldg., if anyone lives in/is visiting DC. Ca vaut le détour...
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 09:09 AM

She was the reason for my interest in food. She had such an understated, classic and approachable style of talking and teaching. I remember cutting class at university just so as to be able to stand in line to get an autographed copy of her book "Cooking with Master Chefs" (the first one). When I got up to her, she warmly clasped my hands and stopped to chat for a few minutes.

Favourite memories include Claudine, Jacques Pepin's daughter, imitating her whenever she'd telephone to the Pepin Household (in a deep, shaky, voice " May I speak to your darrrling father...&quot, as well as a christmas episode with Martha Stewart when the two of them were each building a croquembouche live on TV. Martha's was tidy and perfect; Julia's was.....like something Picasso would have admired, and was falling apart by the second.

'Bon appetit' !

She will be missed. May she Rest in Peace.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 09:15 AM

Her humor and common sense in the kitchen will be greatly missed. In thinking of a way to personally honor her life and contributions to culinary world, am using a recipe from one of her great cookbooks tonight.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 09:33 AM

A fascinating life and a lovely lady. I'll miss her great shows and her quirky humor - even if I still can't cook very well!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 09:45 AM

I also liked her style.
Her recipe for Coq Au Vin is the greatest!
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 09:55 AM

Extra cream sauce will be consumed in her honor sur les moules ce soir, je me vous assures! I especially enjoyed the Julia & Jacques shows for the great respect he showed to this stalwart cooking icon; it was a tribute to both of them. Yes, she will be missed.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 10:13 AM

It was her TV series (criticized by some because she was neither French nor a chef - just amazing now in retrospect)and her recipe for Coquilles St. Jacques a la Parisienne in Vol. I of Mastering that taught me I not only could make better food than I could buy in a restaurant, but I could have fun doing it to boot. I guess I know what we'll be having for dinner, in memoriam.

A life exceedingly well lived for just short of 92 years, and a peaceful death in her sleep - not much more that any of us can ask, either for her or for ourselves. RIP, Julia, you changed our lives for the better and we'll not see your like again.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Mimi, I had met Julia Child, as she was at my sister's wedding in Cambridge. Julia was a good friend to my sister's in-laws, lifelong residents of Brattle St. She gave my sister some saucepans for a wedding present, which was a mistake because my sister couldn't be bothered to cook. (Most people who can afford to own homes in Cambridge usually have cooks.)

I think Julia had given her home in Cambridge to Wellsley College and had moved to California??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -