Jules Verne-Eiffle Tower

Search

Jules Verne-Eiffle Tower

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jules Verne-Eiffle Tower

I looked through some past threads and have not quite found what I have been looking for. My mother and I are going to Paris for the first time in May for my 19th birthday. We already have lunch reservations at the Eiffle Tower for my birthday lunch. Is the Jules Verne a formal restuarant where everyone sits down together and everyone finishes dinner at the same time? or is it like any other restaurant where you are served the next course when you are ready? I don't want to spend all day there as we have a limited amount of days in Paris.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:06 AM

It's fairly formal, meaning that, yes, a given course is usually served to everyone at the same time (as in most sit-down French restaurants, even the less formal ones).

Eating anywhere other than McDonald's can try the patience of anyone who doesn't like to spend hours eating. About the best you can do is 1.5-2 hours, and some meals can take much longer. If this is more than you're prepared to sacrifice, you can eat at fast-food places, food courts (such as the nice one at the Louvre), or small sandwich shops and the like.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:54 AM

This may be a stupid question--but by "everyone" do you mean everyone in the entire restaurant or everyone in your party? I can see the latter being the case, but I have never seen an entire restaurant on the same serving schedule.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 09:54 AM

I'm confused here!

"Is the Jules Verne a formal restuarant where everyone sits down together and everyone finishes dinner at the same time?"

Do you mean everyone in the restaurant or diners at the same table?
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:32 AM

It's not a buffet, if that's what you mean. ANy restaurant I have been to in France, from the modest on up, has served people who were together their courses at the same time. To do otherwise would be terrible service.

It almost does sound like you are asking if everyone in the entire retaurant must all be served dessert at the same time or something -- never heard of such a thing in any restaurant, anywhere.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:24 PM

You are seated based on your reservation time. Your food is served based on what you order. The next course is brought when you are ready for it. The pace of your meal has nothing to do with anyone else in the restaurant. It is a normal restaurant situation - just in a fabulous location with an incredible view.

We lingered afterwards in the bar for a cup of coffee because we weren't ready to leave after dessert (and free truffles) - we were enjoying ourselves so much. We freed our table up for the next guests and continued to enjoy the JV experience.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:05 PM

I've heard it's a really big splurge...
What are we talking for lunch per person? Or dinner?

tHanks,
Dina
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 04:26 PM

They have a prix fixe lunch which is very good value; about 50E per person, I believe, without wine. They also have an a la carte menu which would cost more. Yes, it is a formal restaurant.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:03 PM

I hope you take time to enjoy your birthday meal. Please don't rush through it. I had a wonderful birthday lunch at Jules Verne a couple of years ago. Part of the enjoyment was the pace of the meal - eating slowly, enjoying the view, etc. It certainly was not time wasted. We were probably there for 2 1/2 hours and it was a memorable part of our trip.