Search

Jogging in Prague

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 09:44 AM
djl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jogging in Prague

We''be be staying in Old Town for the Christmas holidays. I've heard it's all cobblestone-lined streets.

Suggestions for areas to jog, fast walk-near the river?

Thanks
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 10:12 AM

It's on the other side of the river, but there is a nice park just across the Charles bridge, called Kampa. If you jog across Charles Bridge from the Old Town side, just before you get to the other end, you'll see a stairwell on your left that leads down to the river bank. There is a beautiful street with old buildings and a few restaurants, and if you keep heading left you'll reach the park. It's small, but if you want to stay near your hotel it's the best non-street area.

I'm assuming you mean you don't want to jog on cobblestone? Do you prefer park or is asphaly ok? If park, a much better one for jogging would be the park just East of Muzeum, but it that would be a good 20-25 minute walk from Old Town (or a 5 min subway ride). It's a beautiful park, on a hill, overlooking the city. To reach it, go to Muzeum (the 'top' of Wenceslas Sq.), keep walking 'up' past the Muzeum building, and you'll end up walking up Vinohradska, a major street. Walk a few blocks up, then turn left (heading North, roughly) and you'll find yourself at the bottom of the park. Have fun!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 01:15 PM

I use www.runtheplanet.com to get jogging course descriptions from locals and previous visitors. Prague has four posters describing various runs.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 01:30 PM

djl, I can't believe I forgot to mention Petrin hill. It's a beautiful park on the hill just next to the castle. It's a hill so maybe not optimal for jogging, but if you get to the top (you can take a cable car up) you can run along the ridge and have amazing views of the city and castle. From Old Town you would just cross the Charles Bridge, then turn left when you get to the square on the other side (follow the tram tracks along Ujezd). A couple of blocks down is the park, and you'll see the little cable car station.
Old Oct 31st, 2003, 04:29 PM

Letna Park is huge, and I spent many hours walking there last summer. Keep in mind that it will be cold, but you will see many locals there all year round. Also, I would just jog along the river (it's all sidewalks on both sides), although you may get some exhaust fumes, depending on which area you are in, and what side you are on. Cobblestones are NOT everywhere. Just in the areas of Prague 1 that have been preserved for the tourists. The other areas are almost all flat & paved.
Old Nov 1st, 2003, 05:05 PM

I jogged for 6-7 miles in Prague in July along the Vlatva River. Just stay on the sidewalk/path on the old town side of the river. There were a few cobblestones but it wasn't bad. I was training for a marathon at the time and my running buddy who lives in Prague said he could run 13 miles on that side of the river. Very scenic run! My only complaint was the air pollution we encountered. P-U!