COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Jewish Ghetto

Old May 31st, 2002, 05:59 PM
sue

Jewish Ghetto

I recently read a message regarding going to the Jewish Ghetto. As a jew would this be a good time to visit the Jewish Ghetto?

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:03 PM
xxx

Which one in what city? There are so many!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 03:06 AM
Livingston (Liv)

Assuming you are talking about the Jewish Ghetto in Venice there is another thread also titled "Jewish Ghetto" now active on the subject. Any time is a good time to visit whether you are Jewish or not. When visiting there on Monday, May 20 all was fairly quiet, not crowded at all. There were several groups of high school age students with back packs touring the area with guides (perhaps teachers), but no adult tour groups as seen around San Marco, etc. p.s. I'm Protestant and would recommend at least a walk through of Venice's Jewish Ghetto.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 04:07 AM
Myer

If you are referring to Rome the area is very small.

The Synagogue is less than a 10 minute walk from walk from Piazza del Campidoglio. You can actually see the top from there. It is right against the river and quite an imposing building.

The challenge is getting in (open times).

There are 4 Rome police guards (machine guns) guarding the building since the early 80s. One on each corner.

They close around 4-4:30 daily. Early Friday and most likely closed to tour on Saturday.

No problems when we were there a couple of weeks ago.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 04:13 AM
Arlene

If you get to Florence, their synagogue is a jewel. You can have a tour. Ask at your hotel or phone first.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 04:15 AM
Rock

I was talking about the Jewish Ghetto in Rome but I wasn't aware of so many ohers.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 04:27 AM
Arlene

I didn't find the Jewish Ghetto in Rome very "Jewish"! We had Saturday lunch in a good restaurant there and it was a nice area to walk around. The synagogue was very protected by police and we saw young people hanging out just like they do at home. You can tour the synagogue at specific times. It is very interesting because it is neither Sephardic nor Ashkenazi, it is Roman.