Globus 10 days Rome to Milan recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I togather with my friends will go for this tour in mid-Oct. We appreciate local things ( not tourist attractions only ) and strolling around ( in safe area ).

Any suggestion for our free time in Rome, Florence and Venice? How about their optional tours?

Any suggestion for local resturant in our hotel area for dinner? Is there any special resturant coupon we can purchase online and book in advance? Our hotels are Rome - NH Giustiniano; Florence - Starhotels Michelangelo; Venice - Boscolo dei Dogi; Milan - Starhotels Ritz.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 06:52 PM

What are the optional tours?

What will you be seeing so we know what is not included?

What are the addresses for your hotels?

What do you like to do in your free time?

You'll get better ideas if you give a bit of information.

In Rome I would see San Francisco a Ripa church and then walk around Trastevere. But I'm a Bernini fan so of course I would go there. You won't see any tourists in that church.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 07:55 PM

Have you booked the tour? If not, do the trip by yourselves.

I'm assuming this is the trip:

http://www.globusjourneys.com/produc...=itin&trip=2ZZ

The Rome part is a quickie overview and there's a lot more to see because Rome is one of the world's great cities, but as overviews go, it's not bad. You could do Ostia Antica on your own for way less $ than Globus will charge and you can do it at your own pace (see http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...taly/ostia.htm).

The lone full Venice day is a complete travesty. I'd completely skip the Murano/Burano excursion and just wander around Venice without having to put up with Globus trying to sell you glass and lace for over 1/2 the day and missing an opportunity to see the city. Seriously, YOU HAVE 8.5 DAYS ON THE GROUND IN ITALY AND YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO SPEND ONE ALLOWING GLOBUS TO PITCH A BUNCH OF STUFF YOU DON'T NEED?

I toured Venice with a couple of friends from our Contiki tour years ago and once we escaped the useless glass-blowing/lace-making nonsense (which lasted less than 1/2 the morning, not 1/2 the bloody day) and blew off the rest of our tour to go off on our own, we had a fantastic time just wandering about.

Florence also gets short shrift - I'd consider blowing off the Pisa trip and staying in Florence because most of your time will be spent at the winemaking demonstration. You should talk to your guide about having time to visit the Duomo in SIENA - the Campo plaza is fine, but it's just a wide open plaza ringed with restaurants and gift shops with postcards that contain pictures of what the plaza looks like when it's filled with dirt for the famous races. The Siennese Duomo is fantastic and far too frequently overlooked.

As for restaurants near your hotels - don't stress over suggestions or reservations. You will be in Italy, where a bad meal is hard to find and overpaying for your food is fairly foolish. This is why the expensive optional meals Globus will offer are really unnecessary.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Yes this is the tour we have booked. I went to Europe 15 years ago with my wife and a 2 1/2 years old daughter. Believe me, it was hard job with an infant.

That's why I will try the tour this time and have a feel before I go and visit again.

Knowing the shortcoming of joining a tour that's why I try to get the most from the free time.

Appreciate your suggestions so far.
Old Sep 12th, 2011, 09:59 PM

Europe,
I actually think your tour is pretty good for the most part. At least, it isn't squeezing in the AC, and is using travel days for decent sight seeing. It is just doing a bit too much with excursions.

I would take BigRuss's suggestions.
Venice: Absolutely, skip the trip to Murano and Burano unless you have some special literary interest. There is so much to explore in Venice, just walking around away from San Marco gets you to lovely canals and piazzas. There are tons of beautiful chruches, Galleries, etc. The Jewish Ghetto is very interesting. I would even consider a tour of that over Murano if you have any interest. Taking the vaporetto up and down the Grand Canal is wonderful. Get up early and go to the markets. Go up in the bell tower for a great view. Take in a concert in one of the churches. You and your friends can do a gondola ride on your own - probably for less money. Anyway - stay in Venice!!!

Same for Rome. Don't take any extra/optional excursions. You will use less time traveling and see more in Rome. If you love art, make a reservation for the Borghese Gallery. On your first day, don't go to the hotel and sleep. Do a walking tour yourself in the afternoon. Be sure to go inside the Pantheon. While touring yourself, to save time, just grab a taxi to places like the Borghese.

Siena: Do go inside the cathedral!

Florence: I've been to Pisa several times, and am not into wine tasting, so it may be unfair of me to say stay in Florence, but I would choose to see Santa Croce and the Uffizi. However, I love Art and am really into churches.

If Pisa is an option, you actually can wait until the end of your first day in Florence, talk it over with your friends, and do it on your own by train the next day. It is fast, cheap and easy. I know I would do that if the group is going by bus. So, you don't have to make that decision until you are there, and if the Leaning Tour is important to you, you can still do that. Of course, if you would enjoy the wine tasting also, go for that.

I think you are going to have a great time. Don't worry about putting more things in. Just enjoy sitting at cafes and walking around.
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

I heard many comments about being a tourist walking around in Italy ( gypsy,...etc ), what are the things I should be careful of?
Old Sep 13th, 2011, 05:00 PM

EuropePJV2011,
Like any big city, there are pickpockets in Italian cities, especially in touristy areas. Use normal caution you would in any big city, keeping your purses, totes, and wallets under your own control, in front of you rather than hanging behind. Some people keep their valuables in money belts. I just use my normal at-home bag, but I live in NYC so perhaps I'm already trained to be aware.

Once in the Roman Forum I saw a group of teenagers, all carrying their very cute purses on their shoulders but behind their backs. I could have put my hand right in one girl's bag and taken her wallet which was right on top and visible. Instead I tapped her on the shoulder and mentioned how vulnerable she was. The Forum is particularly known for pickpockets because there are so many tourist there gaping at the ruins and paying little attention to their own belongings.

Per your question, gypsies, especially children, may approach you as a group and try to get your attention in one direction while one sneaks behind you to pick your pocket. Just tell them no, stay away. Again, you will not see this everywhere, just in high traffic tourist areas.

Really, just use the caution you would in any big city.
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 11:50 AM

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I did the same Globus tour at this time last year. I enjoyed the trip, but there were a few things that we would have done differently. I would skip the optional dinners. For the most part the food was mediocre and the restaurants were full of other tour groups. The only optional tour we signed up for was the tour of the Uffizi in Florence, preferring to spend our free time exploring on our own. (Note: You’ll be asked to decide on the remaining optional tours and dinners, and pay a deposit for them on the bus ride to Florence.)

We didn’t eat anywhere too memorable on our own, but there is a nice little neighborhood restaurant about a block or so from the hotel in Rome: Pizzeria San Marco. Via Tacito, 29 at Via Plinio.

Regarding the day trip to Pisa and the winery in Chianti: We were going to skip this trip, but since I had never been to Pisa we went so that I could cross it off of the old bucket list. Pisa was tacky as expected, but the stop was short. The visit to the winery in Chianti was surprisingly enjoyable. We had the whole place pretty much to ourselves and after a tour of the winery we had a very nice luncheon (with wine tasting) on a terrace overlooking the Chianti hills.

And the day trip to Murano and Burano? Murano was just a short stop to sell us expensive glass, but I did enjoy seeing Burano. As others have suggested, you may want to skip this day trip in order to see more of Venice since the time there is short.

If you have any specific questions about the tour, just ask.