Search

Jerry Springer the Opera

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 04:48 PM
vcl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jerry Springer the Opera

I've looked on the website for this show and tickets are on sale only through March 27. Does anyone know if the run ends then? If it's open ended, I'll keep going back to the site until April tickets are posted.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:35 PM

I think that end of March is the farthest out that you can purchase tickets. After Dec. 1 I believe it will extend to the end of April. We just purchased tickets this week for March and we got something like 10th row. I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that we got tickets for this show, but it's supposed to be really funny!
JoeG
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:50 PM

Why on earth would anybody be embarrassed about going to see this show? I just don't get it. It's supposed to be a great show. Is it the idea that it has the words "Jerry Springer" in the title and therefore it should be looked down on? How silly.
I'm waiting for ticket sales to extend into May when I next go to London.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:59 AM

This show is the hottest ticket in London right now! I'm going with my family in January. Keep checking the website. I've no doubt the show's run will be extended beyond March, but keep checking back just in case. I expect shows do not sell tickets too far in advance because they can not be 100% certain how long they will run (how popular the show will be etc)
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:00 AM
vcl
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll keep checking.

I've been reading about this show since it was first workshopped and it has a peculiar fascination for me. (We have a cat who loves to watch Jerry.)
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:14 AM

Patrick,
Tell someone who has not heard of this show that it is the hottest theater ticket in London. You don't think that you will get some weird reactions? I have. And remember - I said "slightly" embarrassed. Obviously not enough to keep me from purchasing tickets four months in advance.
Yes - it's totally about having the name "Jerry Springer" in the title. Wouldn't you feel a tad silly telling someone that you were going to London to see "Romeo and Oprah" or "Geraldo the Opera? How about "Oprah the Opera?
JoeG
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:33 AM

JoeG, your reaction makes perfect sense to me.

Keith
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:39 AM

OK, I get it JoeG, but would I feel silly saying I was seeing one of those shows? No. But it takes a LOT for me to feel silly, especially when it comes to theatre. And I think Romeo and Oprah sounds like a terric idea!!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:57 AM

Now if someone would just produce a "Bill O'Reilly - The Musical" with a lot of tap dancing and scat singing -- that would be one hot ticket!
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 06:19 AM

Nimrod,
>Bill O'Reilly the Musical<
lol.
JoeG
Old Nov 24th, 2003, 05:04 PM
vcl
Original Poster

I'd go to see Bill O'Reilly the Musical only if Al Franken were starring in it. But could you tell Geraldo the Opera from Jerry Springer the Opera if all Geraldo's ex-wives got into a cat fight?
Virginia
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 04:58 PM
vcl
Original Poster

I visit the "Jerry Springer the Opera" website every week, waiting for tickets for April to appear. Still nothing.
Do any of you London Fodorites know if the run will be extended beyond March 27? We don't arrive in London until March 31.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 06:43 PM

As popular as the show is, I can't imagine it not extending into April. Hopefully well into May as well when we arrive, as I really hope to see it. There are currently only three West End shows booking for May, but I know there will be more than a dozen current shows still playing then. They just don't extend ticket sales that far out. Be patient. April bookings may not be extended until after Christmas.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 05:24 PM
vcl
Original Poster

An update:
Jerry Springer the Opera tickets are now available for April on the show's website.
Can't wait to see it.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 05:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
NEVER be embarressed by your tastes. It's what makes you you. Some of the most educated and so travelled are so boring, they over write, and don't have as much fun. Go and enjoy all the moments of your life.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 06:54 PM

A wonderful attitude, Cigalechanta!
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 04:45 AM

I have seen it, and it is just brilliant.

However it is not for the easily offended. If you are offended by very bad language, deviant sex and blasphemy of the highest order; do not go.

If you're OK with that, it is astonishing. Best song is "Dip Me In Chocolate and Throw Me To The Lesbians". Although "three nipple cousin-f*cker" runs it close.

I am intrigued as to how it will go down on its, inevitable, Broadway transfer - I think it's far too strong for mainstream Broadway (and the evangelicals will have conniptions).

I can't recommend it too highly. It is pricey though (£35-45 a pop).
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 06:45 AM
vcl
Original Poster

David:

I'm much more likely to be offended by politicians than playwrights. We've wanted to see this show since we just missed it when it was being workshopped. The price of pleasure has, unfortunately, risen a bit. Tickets are now up to 50 pounds a pop. Oh well, it's only money. Just means one more Sainsbury sandwich dinner.
Old Dec 31st, 2003, 06:52 AM

"I'm much more likely to be offended by politicians than playwrights."

Brilliant comment, vcl. I may adopt that as my new motto!
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 11:52 AM

Patrick,
I'm still getting strange reactions when I tell people we've got tickets for this show!
david west,
Thank you for the endorsement. I think we can handle it.
BTW - I think out tickets from Ticketmaster with handling charge were 55 pounds/ea.
JoeG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -