January Italy Trip

Search

January Italy Trip

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
January Italy Trip

My wife and I are planning a trip to Europe for the begging of January. We are planning to fly into Paris on the 28th of Dec. to spend New Years Eve there. We want to head to Italy on Jan 1st...and then be in Vienna, on Jan 12th to visit some friends before flying home from Vienna on the Jan 15th. We need help figuring out the best way to spend our time in Italy! We obviously want to hit Rome, and Florence, but taking into account the weather we are a little skeptical about Venice, Cinque Terre, etc..Any thoughts on best way to use up 11 days in Italy?
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Checking flights to/from paris and vienna...I am thinking something like this:

Jan 1- Fly Paris to Venice
Jan 2- Venice
Jan 3- Train to Florence
Jan 4- Florence
Jan 5- Florence (maybe day to Pisa)
Jan 6- Florence
Jan 7- Siena
Jan 8- Rome
Jan 9- Rome
Jan 10-Rome
Jan 11-Rome
Jan 12-Fly Rome to Vienna

Any Thoughts?
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM

I'd add a night to Venice at the expense of either a night in Florence or the Siena overnight. Venice in the winter can be breathtaking with the fog and the canals.

Others will differ and frankly what you have planned so far seems fine, just that a lot of us don't like to do single nights no matter where they are.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

thanks notbob...we have changed plans a little bit to be able to spend a weekend in vienna rather than middle of the week since our friends do work. We now have an itenerary as follows.

Tue Dec. 29th- Arrive Paris
Wed 30th-Paris
Thu 31st-Paris
Fri 1st-Paris
Sat 2nd-Fly to Vienna
Sun 3rd- Vienna
Mon 4th- Vienna
Tue 5th-Fly to Rome
Wed 6th-Rome
Thu 7th-Rome
Fri 8th-Rome
Sat 9th-Rome
Sun 10th-Train to Florence
Mon 11th-Florence
Tue 12th-Florence
Wed 13th Train to Venice
Thu 14th Venice
Fri 15th Fly home from Venice.

Just wondering your thoughts on any other cities that we should really try to see? I could see maybe shaving a day off rome or florence. Thanks!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM

I think this last itinerary looks fine. I wouldn't take any off either Florence or Rome. Be aware that a lot of the flights out of Venice are very early, and you may have to take a water taxi (expensive) to the airport. Have a great trip!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SusanP! Our flight leaves Venice at 10:00 am...Hopefully that's not too bad. Any Hotel tips for any of Rome, Florence, Venice? Somewhere decent price, good location, etc...Thanks.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 02:52 PM

This question (ten or eleven days in Italy, where should we go?) comes up often on Fodors, and it so depends on what interests you. If it is antiquities, then Rome is the place. Art – people would see Florence as the place. Venice for the charm, romance and just the madness of being in a place that was constructed in a swamp.

A day trip from Florence to Sienna is worth a thought, by train or bus.

Getting to the airport in Venice in the early AM – a search on Fodors will yield good info, and water taxi, Aliliguna water bus or bus from Piazzale Roma to the airport are all options. You’d find this discussed often on Fodors.

I would suggest three nights in Venice, so that you have two full days, and I’d suggest going to Venice direct from Vienna, then train to Florence and then to Rome. Arriving at Marco Polo airport and taking a ferry across the lagoon to Venice is the most magic way to arrive.

Venice in early January can be pretty cold and foggy, and there are fewer tourists around then. In the early mornings you can feel as if the city belongs just to you.
I’d suggest the hotel Ai do Mori in Venice. It’s easy to find, and very close to San Marco. We stayed there for a week a couple of years ago in January and loved it.

Long trip report (including finding the hotel) refers:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...st-verbose.cfm
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:00 PM

What do you consider a decent hotel price? That can mean a lot of different things to different people! I always stay in an apartment in Rome, so I can't help with hotel there, and I only stayed in Florence for three nights several years ago.

In Venice, I've stayed twice at Palazzo la Scala, Calle de la Scala. It's a little side street off the main walk between the Rialto Bridge and Piazza San Marco. I don't know what their double rates are. I love the location. You will find a lot of people here at Fodor's want a more out-of-the-way place, but I like to be in the thick of things, close to what I want to see and lots of restaurants. With the windows closed, it's quiet, great buffet breakfast, and they're very helpful at the desk.
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 05:01 PM

Forgot to mention, I've spent a lot of time in Rome, and I highly recommend the Piazza Navona/Pantheon/Campo de' Fiori area. Close to lots of things, many restaurants to choose from, good bus connections. I should admit that the Piazza Navona is my favorite place!
Old Oct 8th, 2009, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the resposes!
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Venice:
I would recommend not being on a budget in Venice, it is worth indulging your senses (and we are talking about 2 days only). My favorite (we've been to Venice twice in 4 years!) was the design hotel Ca' Nigra, it is unbelievably wonderful! As for eating out, I would totally recommend La Madonna restaurant (traditional and quite rustic dishes) next to the Rialto.
Rome:
We once stayed at Hotel Navona (if you decide to go for the hotel option) or in an apartment we rented from Domus International. For eating out (the best pizza in Rome) we prefer La Foccacia in front of Bramante's cloister.
Florence:
Strange enough, we didn't enjoy it as much as we enjoyed Siena and surroundings (San Giminano is a jewel). So if you have the chance during your stay in Florence, take a half-day "field-trip" to these other places...
Also, check-out slow travel as well, you will find more good tips there
ENJOY!...and take some heavy sweaters with you!