January Airfare to Spain

Nov 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

January Airfare to Spain

My little sister is doing a semester abroad as a college student and needs to leave on or around January 18. I think she returns May 19. I'm trying to find airfare and prices are insane. I've heard of this new site, cfares.com which is a membership site supposedly like costco. you pay a membership fee and get access to discount fares. i read about it in either Money or Kiplinger's, and it said it was a good deal.

anyone have any experience with this?

there was also another site i read about but am completely lost with remembering the name. anyone know good discount websites for airfare information? i want to say it started with an "f" and had the word "fare" in it.
Nov 7th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

i forgot to mention. her destination is Seville.
Nov 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
P_M

I've never heard of cfares.com, but I'm not sure I trust a site that charges a fee to get discounts. I would check kayak.com or mobissimo.com.

Instead of flying into Seville, it might be less expensive to fly to Madrid or Lisbon and take the train. Please try pricing it into these cities and see if you get better results.

If anyone does know about cfares, I would like to hear more.
Nov 8th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks PM. i agree, i wouldn't trust paying a fee to get discounts either.

i read about it in either MONEY or KIPLENGER's, and it said it is great for business travelers OR for someone who is planning a flight to europe. i wish i still had the article, i'd site what it said. but basically, if you fly a few times a year, the membership is more than paid for, and if you fly to europe, there is a good chance it will be paid for.

they compared it to a costco. i bet with enough googling, we can find some good reviews, i was hoping for some answers from the fodors crowd.

i have heard some good things about kayak.com, thanks for the tip!
Nov 8th, 2007, 07:14 PM

When my daughter spent a semester in Spain two years ago, our best deal was getting an ISIC card and using StaTravel. They deal in these type of student fares and allowed return ticket changes for as little as $25.
http://www.isic.org/sisp/index.htm
http://www.statravel.com/
Nov 8th, 2007, 07:14 PM

I am planning a trip to Spain next year. Right now we are thinking of flying into London and then onto Spain. Look at Zoom and Virgin to London. Then Ryanair or Iberia from London. There may be others

You will not find this route on Kayak.
Nov 8th, 2007, 07:29 PM

Hi, bradykp...

I think the membership sites are rip offs. Try www.zuji.com. It's the asian equivalent to travelocity. You can search FLEXIBLE DATES for international flights to/from any city with an airport code. Find your flight, then book through travelocity or your preferred source.

If you know the exact date, try www.airfarewatchdog.com. You can pick your most convenient airport code from a pulldown menu, and it will throw airfares at you from the 3 or 4 closest airports to you. It isn't a huge one for international fares unless you're flying out of a city like LA or NY, but it's always the first site I check for fares.

Good luck.