January 24 hrs in Rejkavik

Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:09 PM
CCF
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
January 24 hrs in Rejkavik

Hi,
Any suggestions for sightseeing/pools etc for 2 lively 50 somethings, stopping overnight on their way to Europe?
We are booked at the Fosshotel Lind,and would like to see what we can in 4 1/2 hrs of daylight. It didn't seem like there were too many tours available this time of year.
Thanks in advance.
Cathie
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:23 PM

We did 24 hours in Reykjavik last April. We stopped over on our way back from Paris to Boston. We booked a Blue Lagoon tour. We were picked up at the airport and brought to the Blue Lagoon. We absolutely loved it. It was pretty empty of people. It was spitting snow and the contrast of the hot, steamy water and the volcanic surroundings were awe inspiring. From the Blue Lagoon we were driven to Reykjavik. We stayed at the Hotel Fron right in the center. We recommend it. It was freezing cold and the everything was pretty well closed at 8:30 p.m. We walked around and found a small grocery store and then a very strange, but interesting place to eat. I can't remember names of anything; I'd have to do some research. Everyone spoke English in Reykjavik. The following day we walked around the city and went to the large lutheran church with the observation tower. We ate lunch at a Chinese place and bought a few things for the family at home, and then it was time to leave. We were picked up at the hotel and brought to the bus depot. From there we went to the airport. We really enjoyed our brief stay in Reykjavik.
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM

That sounds lovely. I know someone who is heading to Rejkavik soon, I will pass that information along. What I found interesting was a Samantha Brown episode where they showed fish leather coats. Probably very expensive.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 12:53 AM

The most expensive place we have travelled to. We didn't exchange any money (what can you do with ISK? We used our debit card for everything, even the cups of coffee we bought.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 10:54 AM
CCF
Original Poster

Sounds promising.
How far is the B Lagoon?How did you arrange the tours?
thanks,
C
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:00 PM

The Blue Lagoon is not far from the airport in the middle of nowhere. I did everything on the internet. I went with iceland excursions www.icelandexcursions.is We were happy with their service. The driver was waiting for us with an iceland excursions sign at the airport. There was only one other couple as it was shoulder season in reykjavik. The Blue Lagoon also has a website, which could google. It was a wonderful experience.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:57 PM

CCF,

We paid a trip to the Blue Lagoon during a layover on a trip to New York last year.

Here's a link to my trip report, the first part of which covers the Blue Lagoon - it also includes a link to the Blue Lagoon's website;

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34778469

Jim