Iceland in January/February

Old Jul 21st, 2017, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland in January/February

I'm planning a trip to Iceland with a friend in January or February 2018. Reykjavik will be our base.
We are Rick Steves-esque type of travelers (he doesn't do group tours in Iceland). Looking for sites in the city and a few day trips (i.e., Northern Lights, Blue Lagoon or other, as well as B&Bs). Probably staying a week or less. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated!
Thank you,
RM
Old Jul 21st, 2017, 05:20 AM

I was there in February of this year. Be prepared for cold and snow although I did not think it was that cold.
If you have never been I would do the Golden Circle tour and a Northern Lights tour (no guarantee). I did see them twice the week I was there.
I had no interest in the Blue Lagoon so can't help you there. There is one main street in the center of Reykjavik with shopping and restaurants and also a Bonus Supermarket.
Did not stay in a B & B so no info with that.
Have a great time. I love Iceland.
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Martha. Will let you know how it goes!
Cheers,
RM
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 04:31 AM

We've been twice, but end of April both times, and we found it COLD! Great, but COLD!

The Blue Lagoon seems to be a major attraction; however, we found many local hot pools and spas that cost a fraction of the price and were extremely rewarding - they are all over the city and countryside. Never once regretted missing the Blue Lagoon.

The student-led tours of the city are fascinating and free (well, you should tip the guide).

Both times we were there we stayed in the Hotel Frón, on the main street, for 50€ a night in an ample double room. Not sure how we got such a deal, as others have said it would have cost them 3X as much.
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 04:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We were there for 5 days in December and actually it wasn't freezing cold much to our surprise. It was foggy at times. Unfortunately all our tours to see the Northern Lights were cancelled. I envy those who saw them. Be prepared for limited sunlight. We had maybe 5-6 hours of light at most and only one day was there any sun. We stayed in a nice apt in town for less than any of the hotels I checked.

I would look on TA for the recommended tours and pick the one(s) that suit you. There are a variety of them. We also skipped the Blue Lagoon, but my daughter did it with her kids and they all loved it. I think they did it when they arrived before getting into her home exchange and found it relaxing.
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments -
I can't seem to reply to individual ones (stCirq and yestravel)after I replied to Marta....strange. So will have to do a group thank you.
Best,
RM
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 10:34 AM

I was there for 5 days in late January; torrential rain & wind when I arrived but the next day was much better. Temps were not frigid, cold yes (as in, long underwear, down coat & windproof gloves). I stayed in one of the Nest apartments, which are located one block from Hallgrimskirka (you can google them - there are 4 apts in one building). The location was wonderful - away from the hustle & bustle of the main shopping street (3 blocks away), 2 blocks from a great pool/hot pot (with the hot pots outside) and close to the the Leif Errickson hotel where all the tours pick up/drop off.

I did a horse riding tour w/Eldhestar which was wonderful - would highly recommend. No experience needed. I rented a car to do my own day trips - thought the Golden Circle was all hype and not worth the drive. A day trip to Vik was 100% worthwhile - amazing scenery on the way, waterfalls galore, black sand beaches, basalt columns, etc.