Jacket in Europe

Jul 27th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Jacket in Europe

The last time we were in Italy we stayed at a hotel with 1/2 pension and I wore a nice sweater with slacks ( not jeans) and dress shoes BUT we were relegated to a table near the kitchen. Most or all of the guys in the restaurant wore jackets. We are about to go to Spain on a 16 day trip and I HATE wearing jackets but you know what my wife says! so....what do you think at this time when things are more casual?? MUST I take a jacket this time? The Italy experience was 4 years ago. Terry
Jul 27th, 2005, 06:26 PM

So, why do you HATE wearing a jacket?

Just one - that fits nicely (so as to be comfortable) and goes with a variety of slacks could not be handier to have along. It's great for the pockets, as an extra layer, and renders you, well, more gentlemanly and presentable (and appealing to your wife, I would say...). If your wife would prefer you wear a jacket, you should pay attention. I know my husband is much luckier (in many ways...) dressed in a jacket for dinner.

Jul 27th, 2005, 06:39 PM

For our trip to France in May my husband bought a jacket at Norm Thompson, (catalog or web) which was great for all the reasons TravelVA mentioned. Brooks Brothers it is not, but it served the purpose and gave him a more "put together" look when we went out for dinner. It says to machine wash and not to dry clean; it would probably melt if sent to cleaners!
Jul 27th, 2005, 06:40 PM

I'm female, but I can't imagine having to wear a jacket when it is 100F., as is likely in Spain right now. I suppose you could take one along and wear it until you are seated.
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:01 PM

Hi WillTravel, if it is to hot for a jacket it is to hot for a sweater, right? Just throwing that in for a thought. LOL. How are you btw?

No st2327, occassionally there is a thread that revolves around the same subject that your thread does.

And the posts will go on for days and days. If you do a search here on Fodors I am sure you can find some.

I sometimes have thought the "take a jacket" versus "no need to take a jacket" brings up more arguments than the subject of cigarette smoking does.

I am never again going to post my thoughts about this subject (I hope I remember this statement of mine, LOL) but I am going to watch and see what responses you get.

Whatever you decide I hope the two of you have a wonderful time in Spain.
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:25 PM

My husband bought a lightweight silk/cotton jacket that works just fine in hot climates. Keep in mind that in Spain you will be dining very late in the evening when things have cooled off a bit.
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Take a lightweight jacket and go with the flow! You might or might not need it, but a really lightweight one won't eat up much luggage space and might satisfy you wife's and restaurants' criteria. How bad can it be, really?
Jul 28th, 2005, 01:02 AM

And adding to the chorus to take a jacket...

The Spanish DO like to dress up in the evenings (and eat very late, by the way, so make sure you have a siesta every day. By late I mean the restaurants don't OPEN til at least 9.30pm).

If it really is scorching when you're there and you still want to fit in, then wear a long sleeved cotton dress shirt (the kind you would wear with a suit and tie) - not a polo shirt. You're going to dinner, not playing golf.
Jul 28th, 2005, 02:56 AM

Yes, the Spanish are quite insular and conservative. Very intolerant of other peoples's customs, lifestyles, dress, etc. If they see someone on vacation not wearing a jacket or wearing a polo shirt when eating their food, they will obsess over it for weeks. Many will go into deep depression, to the point of committing suicide.

The most common topic of discussion among the Spanish is "How many tourists did you see with polo shirts or without jackets at dinner today?"
Jul 28th, 2005, 03:02 AM

Rufus, I think you're missing the point. If the OP (or his wife!) wasn't bothered, then he wouldn't be asking the question. Of course you can wear what you like in Spain, but 'if' you want to fit in, then that's how the Spanish would dress for a nice dinner.

It's not the law, it's just a question of 'when in Rome...'
Jul 28th, 2005, 03:15 AM

What my husband usually takes is a light linen suit which he wears with a plain t shirt, and that fits in anywhere. Easy to wear, t shirts easy to iron. If we're somewhere so casual a jacket would look odd, he just doesn't wear the jacket.

What concerns me, though, is why you think it's a good idea to eat in the hotel every night - unless it's a remote hotel where you can't go anywhere else ? Wouldn't it be more fun to go out and try a range of places ?

TravelVA - your last set of brackets made me smile
Jul 28th, 2005, 03:19 AM

>- not a polo shirt. You're going to dinner, not playing golf.<

This was a bit of a gratuitous slam.
Jul 28th, 2005, 03:22 AM

It was a JOKE!

sheesh
Jul 28th, 2005, 03:30 AM

Most jokes are gratuituous slams. Especially ones involving taking the piss out of someone.

RTF's post was a joke too. Did you miss the sarcasm?

Jul 28th, 2005, 03:33 AM

In the summer a jacket isn't so necessary, but I feel that it always finishes any outfit nicely.

One can turn a super fine cotton t-shirt and skinny jeans from being rock casual to rock dressy for the evening just by adding a suitable jacket. Brass buttoned blazers are naff, don't even go there!

As for polos - the ones that are made of super fine satinesque cotton, by Dior, Dries Van Noten (particularly those two) look fabulous with skinny cut jeans/trousers and a smart jacket over the top. For summer 2006, even the eveningwear has been replaced by a more casual look. Dries van Noten has a dress (and this is an English "dress" as in evening wear) shirt made of soft unstarched cottong with frills and it's sent down the runway with rolled up sleeves. This is the designer answer to a "tuxedo t-shirt".

If you don't like wearing a jacket just wear a shirt and smart trousers, but it is a rather boring look. Adding a super skinny tie could be quite fun.
Jul 28th, 2005, 03:40 AM

Do you have a large polo shirt collection by any chance obxgirl?
Jul 28th, 2005, 04:32 AM

Kate, LOL !
Jul 28th, 2005, 05:24 AM

Please, leave the jacket at home!!!

I have an extensive collection of polo shirts and wear them for both golf and evening dining in France, Germany, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, etc. And when it's in the 80's and 90's, I wear shorts!!!

You don't need a jacket unless you plan on dining in "exclusive" restaurants.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Jul 28th, 2005, 05:49 AM

Ok I am going to have to agree with Budman here. If we are going to a "nicer" place in the evenings my other half will wear a dress shirt in hot weather. Unless you are visiting a Michelin star restaurant I do not think this is necessary. Its like saying a woman must wear a dress out to a restaurant every night. I can go out smartly dressed wearing trousers and be dressed up. I felt Spain was a lot more casual anyway than some other countries. If he is worried just bring a light jacket.

I think people have an idea that people dress up more in Europe but I think when I lived in NY we dressed up more to go out. Just an observation.
Jul 28th, 2005, 05:50 AM

Ever since the evening in Paris when I seated next to a man wearing a only a tank style undershirt, trousers, and sandals I ceased to worry as long as I was more properly dressed. After sitting in the second most expensive seats at the Opera Bastille next to a man in a black T-shirt, I haven't worried as long as I was legal for the streets.

I have been told by an Italian that Italian men wear jackets because their shirts don't have pockets. They need some place to carry personal items.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO